A little test

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
To see how great an impact the news the media gives us make.

From the top of your head: The attack yesterday on the markedplace in Baghdad, how many was killed?

(please do not start a "it was an iraq/US attack" discussion. Thats not the purpose with this exercise)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

To see how great an impact the news the media gives us make.

From the top of your head: The attack yesterday on the markedplace in Baghdad, how many was killed?

(please do not start a "it was an iraq/US attack" discussion. Thats not the purpose with this exercise)

• Reply 2 of 34
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
  • Reply 3 of 34
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Low fifties.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    30 to 55
  • Reply 5 of 34
    I heard two different stories. The first said 50, the second said 55.
  • Reply 6 of 34
  • Reply 7 of 34
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I heard 15 at first, then I heard 55
  • Reply 8 of 34
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I heard 17 killed and up to 100 injured, but I last checked in yesterday afternoon. So when do we start blaming the media for all this?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    the chicago tribune said "at least thirty"
  • Reply 10 of 34
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The only number I've heard was 50.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The number on the front of the Scottish newspapers (both tabloid and broadsheet) is 58.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Damn My theory has been partly debunked.

I read about the second attack this morning (euro time) on the hps of the two european warfairing countries national broadcasting institutions (news.bbc.com and www.dr.dk) but had to look deep into another article on CNN to find anything on it. So my theory was that most hadn´t heard of the second attack (which costed about 50 life) and would answer around 15-20 (the number of dead from the first atack.

Guess I had too low expectations of the information level of my fellow AI´ers.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    only heard about the first; 15 killed, several injured.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    First I heard 48, then 52.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Damn My theory has been partly debunked.

Kinda unfair to ask a bunch of people coming off of late Friday night festivities and subsequent hangovers. Checked the local paper this morning and the 50-ish figure was the one in print.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
  • Reply 17 of 34
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    My guess is...more or less...

I mean who are we going to trust?

1. Our Media?

2. Al Jazeera??

3. Iraqi TV???

Let me know. I'm clueless.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I would say that Western media is far superior credibility-wise than al-Jazeera or anything from Iraq.

Go to a UK site if you're really concerned about US-Gestapo stomping around in CNN's newsroom.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

So my theory was that most hadn´t heard of the second attack (which costed about 50 life) and would answer around 15-20 (the number of dead from the first atack.

Guess I had too low expectations of the information level of my fellow AI´ers.

Isn't this at least the third time you've played this game? You tried it once with two different plane crashes in different countries and then there was something else one other time as well.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I would say that Western media is far superior credibility-wise than al-Jazeera or anything from Iraq.

Go to a UK site if you're really concerned about US-Gestapo stomping around in CNN's newsroom.

one

two

three

Cheers

Scott