'Apple Watch Pro' branding revealed in 2015 demo unit

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2021
Images of an "Apple Watch Pro" logo surfaced online Monday, suggesting Apple at one time mulled alternative branding for its top-tier wearable.

Discovered by YouTube channel Apple Demo in the system files of an early Apple Watch display unit, the "Apple Watch Pro" logo appears beside PNG files for already released models including Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch Edition.

Not much is known about the single logo file, though it appears that Apple was experimenting with "Pro" Watch branding when it debuted the device in 2015. The "Apple Watch Pro" PNG found in the demo unit was supposedly created in February 2015, two months before Apple Watch launched in April of that year.

Along with the aluminum Apple Watch Sport, the first version of Apple's wearable came in stainless steel Apple Watch and solid gold Apple Watch Edition trims. The Sport mark was dropped with the introduction of Apple Watch Series 2, likely to avoid confusion with the then-new Apple Watch Nike+ model, but Edition has returned to indicate special casing materials like ceramic and, with Apple Watch Series 7, titanium.

No longer on exhibit at Apple Stores, the original Apple Watch demonstration display pedestal featured an Apple Watch connected to an iPad mini. At the time, try-on units ran a looping software demo, while functional devices embedded in the wedge-shaped stand allowed for a more interactive experience.

Apple Demo is relatively new to the Apple leaks game, but the channel has obtained access to at least two Apple Watch prototype units.

Considering that the moniker dates back to 2015, it is unlikely that an "Apple Watch Pro" will land anytime soon. That said, the tech giant has in the intervening years assigned the "Pro" designation to a number of products including iPad, iPhone, iMac and, most recently, the M1 Pro chip used in the new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple is reportedly developing a ruggedized Apple Watch model that could debut in 2022, though branding plans remain unknown.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I think it's still going to happen and that it's the flat sided one in the renders.
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Appleish said:
    I think it's still going to happen and that it's the flat sided one in the renders.
    I really liked those flat-sided renders. I just hope they don’t follow the iPhone strategy by giving the rumored 48mm size features not available in the smaller sizes (if those rumors pan out, that is). My 45mm looks perfectly fine on my wrist, and I have too many bands to consider a larger size. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    The font, which is written with the word PRO, is typed in the Myriad font, which Apple has not used for a long time, this indicates a low level of the designer. so I conclude that this is fake
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple's current approach selling multiple tiers of the watch -- plus multiple bands -- is confusing and bit befuddling to an average consumer.   It's not something most people could shop online for, you almost have to see them side by side with an expert explaining each in order to understand how they differ and serve different needs.

But, it does reflect and fulfill the realization that Apple had from the very beginning that a watch is a very personal thing filled with personal biases and preferences.

I think introducing a "Pro" model would be unnecessarily divisive:  separating the common from the elite.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    There’s people who would blow 10k on a watch. Let them have their Apple Watch. I think it’s dumb when people who can’t afford expensive watches think expensive watches are a bad idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    zhuravlev said:
    The font, which is written with the word PRO, is typed in the Myriad font, which Apple has not used for a long time, this indicates a low level of the designer. so I conclude that this is fake
    Yes, the second I saw the image the typography of PRO didn't look very legit 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Apple's current approach selling multiple tiers of the watch -- plus multiple bands -- is confusing and bit befuddling to an average consumer.   It's not something most people could shop online for, you almost have to see them side by side with an expert explaining each in order to understand how they differ and serve different needs.

But, it does reflect and fulfill the realization that Apple had from the very beginning that a watch is a very personal thing filled with personal biases and preferences.

I think introducing a "Pro" model would be unnecessarily divisive:  separating the common from the elite.
    Divisive? Are you missing the /s?

There are people of all different needs, desires, incomes and priorities. Do you have issues with MacBook PRO's, iPad PRO's, Mac PRO's? Are you saying Apple should only sell to "common" people and not "elite"? The only thing divisive are your words it appears to me...
    muthuk_vanalingamJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    thrang said:

There are people of all different needs, desires, incomes and priorities. Do you have issues with MacBook PRO's, iPad PRO's, Mac PRO's? Are you saying Apple should only sell to "common" people and not "elite"? The only thing divisive are your words it appears to me...
    I wasn't addressing class struggles but I see the word "divisive" triggered you.  But, in truth, there simply is no Pro[fessional] application for an AppleWatch.  So it would simply indicate "High end" vs "Low end".
    Perhaps divisive was a poor choice of words.   Or, perhaps you're just overly sensitive?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    thrang said:

I wasn't addressing class struggles but I see the word "divisive" triggered you.  But, in truth, there simply is no Pro[fessional] application for an AppleWatch.  So it would simply indicate "High end" vs "Low end".
    Perhaps divisive was a poor choice of words.   Or, perhaps you're just overly sensitive?
    No, you need to use language more accurately.

And you, nor anyone else, knows the "truth" whether there is a pro application for a Watch. What if it added additional health sensors, perhaps a FaceTime camera, or active band technology? Who knows.. 
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    thrang said:

“I think introducing a "Pro" model would be unnecessarily divisive:  separating the common from the elite.”

How is this not equating the topic with class struggle? You appear to be the overly sensitive one, yet again. Speaking without thinking, then going on the attack whenever your half-baked comments are dissected by those who can see right through them. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Could just be a rebrand of the Edition line to make it more in line with other products.
    watto_cobra