Apple releases iOS 14.8.1, iPadOS 14.8.1 update with security fixes

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has released an update for iOS 14.8.1 and iPadOS 14.8.1, adding a number of bug fixes and performance improvements along with security-related changes to devices that haven't upgraded to iOS 15.

Released on Tuesday, the update for devices running older versions of iOS became available to download. The update can be applied via the Settings app, under General, then Software Update.

Rather than a feature release, the update is one largely for maintenance, fixing a number of security issues in the process.

According to Apple's security content notes, many of the changes involve plugging holes in the operating system that allow either a malicious application to elevate its privileges or for the execution of code that may have kernel privileges.

One fixed issue of note is a fix to IOMobileFrameBuffer that fixes a memory corruption issue with improved memory handling. The problem, CVE-2021-30883, allowed applications to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges, one which Apple adds it is "aware of a report" that it may have been "actively exploited."

While Apple has moved to a strategy where it no longer forcing users to adopt the next-generation OS to continue receiving security updates, it is still providing protection to users who have yet to transition over to iOS 15. The update is the first since iOS 14.8, which arrived in mid September ahead of iOS 15's release.

Apple issued iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1 on October 15.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Updated iPhone yesterday with no problem. Went to update iPad, it’s saying error occurred downloading. Was it pulled?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Updated iPhone yesterday with no problem. Went to update iPad, it’s saying error occurred downloading. Was it pulled?

If your iPad uses a passcode, try disabling it before beginning the update. I used to have downloading errors show up on my iPhone during updates, and temporarily switching off the passcode fixed that.

FWIW, I just updated our iPad to iPadOS 15.1 with no downloading issues.

• Reply 3 of 4
    Apple and app developers suck a$$. 10 months into the release of IOS13 and devices stuck at IOS12.55 are already unable to download Facebook but Netflix runs just just fine on IOS 9.XX. I am all done with this Chinese cow towing company. Cupertino may as well be in Communist China, you know the ones that were supporting and supplying the Taliban behind our backs? Screw Apple. I'm done.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Apple and app developers suck a$$. 10 months into the release of IOS13 and devices stuck at IOS12.55 are already unable to download Facebook but Netflix runs just just fine on IOS 9.XX. I am all done with this Chinese cow towing company. Cupertino may as well be in Communist China, you know the ones that were supporting and supplying the Taliban behind our backs? Screw Apple. I'm done.
    Goodbye 1st time poster.

That was about a year and a half ago.  Devices "stuck" on 12.x are 7-8 year old.  You need to get a life and stop letting shit eat at you for so long.

The APP developer (Facebook) decides what versions of the OS the app will run on - go take it out on Facebook, not Apple.  I'm sure you have an account and love being abused by them.