Apple's Craig Federighi to present keynote at Web Summit 2021 next week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2021
Apple SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi is scheduled to present a keynote presentation at this year's Web Summit, which will be held in November in Lisbon, Portugal.

Federighi

As noted by Portuguese website iFeed, Web Summit recently updated its website with more information about Federighi's appearance, which was announced earlier in October.

According to the conference, the Apple software executive is slated to hold a 25-minute keynote session on privacy and product security on Nov. 3, the third night of proceedings. Federighi will speak at the summit's main venue, Altice Arena.

Not much else is known about the keynote, though topics of discussion will likely include Apple's various privacy initiatives such as App Tracking Transparency, App Store "nutrition labels" and on-device security.

Web Summit runs from Nov. 1 through Nov. 4, and features a number of influential speakers from the worlds of tech, media, entertainment, sports, commerce and beyond. Executives from companies like Amazon, Cisco, Facebook, Magic Leap, Microsoft, Reddit, SAP, Spotify and Shutterstock will speak on a variety of issues, with some joining journalists from The Atlantic, Axios, CNBC, Financial Times, Reuters, The Washington Post and other outlets for a series of sit-down talks.

Frances Haugen, the former Facebook employee who leaked damning internal documents to the press and testified to government bodies about the social network's allegedly nefarious business practices, will open the conference.

Web Summit regularly hosts members of the European Union's European Commission and has in the past served as a stage for antitrust conversations. While no major announcements are expected, conference sessions could tip the antitrust watchdog's hand. In 2019, EU Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager hinted at a budding investigation into Apple Pay, an inquiry that has since evolved into a serious threat to the service's future.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Will he fly to Portugal on Hair Force One?
  • Reply 2 of 7

That sounds like envy to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    He'll be practicing his bewildered glaring into the MBP M1 MAX...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Bummer, I thought he was going to tell us when Mobile Safari will get support for modern browser features.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    michelb76 said:
    Bummer, I thought he was going to tell us when Mobile Safari will get support for modern browser features.
    By "modern", you mean Google inventing new web technologies daily, adding them to Chrome, then lazy web developers adopting them and only ever testing with Chrome (expecting that the entire world should be using it)?  Should the entire world speak English and choose the same religion too?

edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Tim Cook apparently calls Craig "Superman" so I reckon he'll just fly there on his own.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7

auxio said:
    michelb76 said:
    By "modern", you mean Google inventing new web technologies daily, adding them to Chrome, then lazy web developers adopting them and only ever testing with Chrome (expecting that the entire world should be using it)?  Should the entire world speak English and choose the same religion too?

Naw, he means using the browser as a tracking system and slowing down the rest of the web. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.564903/gov.uscourts.nysd.564903.152.0_1.pdf
    watto_cobra