Apple Silicon iMac Pro coming early 2022, says leaker

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2021
Apple's next iMac could be an iMac Pro arriving in the first half of 2022, a leaker claims, one that could sport an M1 Pro or M1 Max and has a chance of having Face ID in the display.

Apple officially discontinued its Intel-based iMac Pro on March 19, pulling the product from its website after the last of its stock was sold. According to a new rumor, its seems a replacement for it could be on the way within months.

According to leaker @Dylandkt on Twitter, Apple is preparing to create an "iMac (Pro)," with Saturday's tweet seemingly proposing the next iMac could be a "Pro" model due in the first half of 2022. The tweet continued that the model would be similar in design to the 24-inch iMac and Pro Display XDR, with a mini LED display and ProMotion support.

The screen would also have dark bezels, though no word on a notch. According to the leaker, Face ID was apparently tested, though admits it's "not confirmed" for the model.

For other specifications, it is claimed to run on an M1 Pro or M1 Max with 16GB of memory in the base model, along with 512GB of storage. The port selection includes HDMI, USB-C, an SD card, and an Ethernet port on the power brick.

iMac (Pro)
Promotion and Mini Led
Base model 16gb Ram 512gb Storage
M1 Pro and Max
Dark bezels
HDMI, SD Card, Usb C
Similar design to iMac 24 and Pro Display XDR
Starting price at or over 2000 dollars
Ethernet on brick standard
Face ID was tested (Not confirmed)
1H 2022

-- Dylan (@dylandkt)

Dylan claims the internal name candidate for the model is "iMac Pro," but warns the marketing team "can change gears very quickly." The rationale for the name would be to "better distinguish" it from the 24-inch iMac, as it's a "Pro device with a Pro chip."

The leaker adds that the model will most likely have a 27-inch display, and replace the existing 27-inch iMac. Rumors ahead of the launch of the 24-inch iMac launch claimed that a larger iMac model was planned, though it didn't pay off during the launch event itself.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    27-inch is only three inches larger than 24-inch. 30-inch will be better suited for a "Pro" model. 
    williamlondondoozydozend_2the1maximus9secondkox2baconstangAlex_Vuraharawatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 25
    A bit disappointing if true. Early 2022 would be a good time to release a consumer 30" iMac with the new design and a M1 Pro/Max chip with similar performance specs to the MacBook Pro. Fall 2022 is when we should see a genuine iMac Pro with a M2 (something) chip. The iMac Pro is supposed to be for professionals. It should have a desktop processor not a laptop chip. It should also cost a lot more than the consumer iMac.
    d_2aderutterbaconstangdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    A bit disappointing if true. Early 2022 would be a good time to release a consumer 30" iMac with the new design and a M1 Pro/Max chip with similar performance specs to the MacBook Pro. Fall 2022 is when we should see a genuine iMac Pro with a M2 (something) chip. The iMac Pro is supposed to be for professionals. It should have a desktop processor not a laptop chip. It should also cost a lot more than the consumer iMac.
    It would make a lot of sense renaming the 27" model iMac Pro as that matches the laptop line.

CPU-wise the M1 Pro and Max perform really well against Intel and AMD chips:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

There's no need to have an artificial split between mobile and desktop chips like Intel does. Intel does it so they can remove or lower the integrated graphics under the assumption an external dedicated GPU will be used. Apple will be using the integrated graphics chip.

The highest i9 chips are faster than M1 Pro/Max but only by around 1.5x. Everything else higher are the bigger Threadripper/Epyc/Xeon chips. The highest is the Threadripper Pro 3995wx. This is around 3.5-4x faster than M1 Pro/Max. They'd have to quadruple the cores in some way to reach that level but every chip from the M1 Pro up can be used in an iMac Pro. Anything capable of 32GB of video memory, 7GB/s SSDs, 5TFLOPs+ GPU is pro-level hardware.

The highest Xeon in the Mac Pro is around 1.5-2x faster than M1 Pro/Max. This is regarded as a pro machine so just doubling the M1 Max cores will reach this level.

There's no reason for pro-level hardware to be more expensive for the sake of it. It should only cost as much as it costs Apple to build with healthy margins. Given that Apple charges $1100 to jump from lowest Pro to highest Max chip, they will likely charge a bit more than this doubling it up again e,g an extra $2200. If the base 27" iMac replacement is $1999 (16GB/512GB), the 2x chip would be around $5k, same as the old iMac Pro. Doubling again could reach $9k - this would be equivalent to the current $24k Mac Pro.
    doozydozenkayessrundhvidpatchythepirateFileMakerFellerwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 25
    27-inch is only three inches larger than 24-inch. 30-inch will be better suited for a "Pro" model. 
    I don’t think it’s going to be 27 inches. That’s not a big monitor size anymore. It’s like he buying a 32 inch or 42 inch hdtv today. Sure it’s adequate. But not impressive at all and certainly not at the forefront of what a modern tv should be. 

30” would be the minimum in 2022. I’m thinking Apple will go big and make it 32”. The challenge with getting some really big monitor size is the aspect ratio creates a giant block of screen. This can cause issues with neck ergonomics as well as figment in a work area. Easy solutions though. Lower where the screen sits on the stand or go ultrawide, which would be insanely cool. But do ultrawide in such a way as to stay 5k or more vertical and add the pixels as needed horizontally. Most ultrawide are a mess. But it’s s great concept. Apple could usher in sn era of high quality ultrawide glory as part of a high performance iMac with hopefully higher cpu and GPU core counts. 

M1 Max with 64GB and a monster screen? Yes please. All day. 

A replacement for 27 inch? Yes. But not equal in dimension. 

Also, the iMac went 5k SIX years ago. 

Time to move up. 
    doozydozenMacProrundhvidwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Marvin said:
    It would make a lot of sense renaming the 27" model iMac Pro as that matches the laptop line.

CPU-wise the M1 Pro and Max perform really well against Intel and AMD chips:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

There's no need to have an artificial split between mobile and desktop chips like Intel does. Intel does it so they can remove or lower the integrated graphics under the assumption an external dedicated GPU will be used. Apple will be using the integrated graphics chip.

The highest i9 chips are faster than M1 Pro/Max but only by around 1.5x. Everything else higher are the bigger Threadripper/Epyc/Xeon chips. The highest is the Threadripper Pro 3995wx. This is around 3.5-4x faster than M1 Pro/Max. They'd have to quadruple the cores in some way to reach that level but every chip from the M1 Pro up can be used in an iMac Pro. Anything capable of 32GB of video memory, 7GB/s SSDs, 5TFLOPs+ GPU is pro-level hardware.

The highest Xeon in the Mac Pro is around 1.5-2x faster than M1 Pro/Max. This is regarded as a pro machine so just doubling the M1 Max cores will reach this level.

There's no reason for pro-level hardware to be more expensive for the sake of it. It should only cost as much as it costs Apple to build with healthy margins. Given that Apple charges $1100 to jump from lowest Pro to highest Max chip, they will likely charge a bit more than this doubling it up again e,g an extra $2200. If the base 27" iMac replacement is $1999 (16GB/512GB), the 2x chip would be around $5k, same as the old iMac Pro. Doubling again could reach $9k - this would be equivalent to the current $24k Mac Pro.
    Realistically the iMac 5k is and was a steal. 

The iMac Pro is replacing that. Not the old iMac Pro which was only a stopgap as the Mac Pro was being developed. 

The new iMac Pro should be comparable in pricing to the iMac 5k, but with price bumps similar to the MacBook Pros. 
    doozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 25
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    With the M1 Pro & Max embarrassing Ryzen 5950X+RTX3090 in real workloads the current chips would do fine & maybe leave M1 Extreme/Ultra for a separate enclosure.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 25
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    While I think it is a good idea to have the M1 Pro and M1 Max, the M1 Max shouldn't be the to top end spec. It really should be the Jade 2C SoC config, however they package it, be it monolithic or MCM as the top end. 16 p-cores, 64 GPU cores and 128 GB RAM should be the top end, and maybe 256 GB RAM. M1 Max is no faster than what you can get in an iMac 5K or iMac Pro right now. This new large iMac has to outperform the top-end of the iMac 5K/Pro by 50% in most performance categories at least. Otherwise, there's no reason to upgrade.

The iMac 24 should have the M1 Pro, at least, as a SoC upgrade option too.
    aderutter9secondkox2watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 25
    This rumor makes perfect sense In terms of replicating what was done with the 24" M1 iMac.
    Stay at stay at 27" to keep price down and not cannibalize Pro Display XDR.
    Darker bezel to differentiate from 24 inch iMac and throw in Face ID in addition to the finger print sensor on the keyboard.
    Silver color would do nicely and an contrasting Apple Logo in the chin would be nice.
    opinionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    If the new, bigger iMac isn't 30" or greater, I'll just buy the 14" M1 Pro and stick with my old 30" Cinema Displays and continue to use my 27" iMac as a display.  I don't do video work so I'm not missing out.   i just love the big screens.

Either way, I told myself NOT to buy into Apple Silicon until the 2nd generation at a minimum.   That means M2.   I don't expect to see an M2 anything until late 2022 which is fine.   I know my iMac is getting old, but if there are people running Monterey using OCLP on 2010 Macs, I think I can tolerate it another year or two.

Regarding the 27" versus 30 or 32 inch, I really don't see Apple releasing THREE iMac sizes if the next one is a 27 (meaning there will not be a 32 inch).  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I don’t think it’s going to be 27 inches. That’s not a big monitor size anymore. It’s like he buying a 32 inch or 42 inch hdtv today. Sure it’s adequate. But not impressive at all and certainly not at the forefront of what a modern tv should be. 

30” would be the minimum in 2022. I’m thinking Apple will go big and make it 32”. The challenge with getting some really big monitor size is the aspect ratio creates a giant block of screen. This can cause issues with neck ergonomics as well as figment in a work area. Easy solutions though. Lower where the screen sits on the stand or go ultrawide, which would be insanely cool. But do ultrawide in such a way as to stay 5k or more vertical and add the pixels as needed horizontally. Most ultrawide are a mess. But it’s s great concept. Apple could usher in sn era of high quality ultrawide glory as part of a high performance iMac with hopefully higher cpu and GPU core counts. 

M1 Max with 64GB and a monster screen? Yes please. All day. 

A replacement for 27 inch? Yes. But not equal in dimension. 

Also, the iMac went 5k SIX years ago. 

Time to move up. 
    Couldn't agree more - there was/is a display industry push to make 27" standard for 4k, I know that for me and many others it's not usable. I use a 32" 4K and it's great for me - 27" 4K isn't so I'm hoping at a minimum 30", hopefully 32" or more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    32" and 6K is what is needed for pro work.
    edited October 2021 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    tht said:
    While I think it is a good idea to have the M1 Pro and M1 Max, the M1 Max shouldn't be the to top end spec. It really should be the Jade 2C SoC config, however they package it, be it monolithic or MCM as the top end. 16 p-cores, 64 GPU cores and 128 GB RAM should be the top end, and maybe 256 GB RAM. M1 Max is no faster than what you can get in an iMac 5K or iMac Pro right now. This new large iMac has to outperform the top-end of the iMac 5K/Pro by 50% in most performance categories at least. Otherwise, there's no reason to upgrade.

The iMac 24 should have the M1 Pro, at least, as a SoC upgrade option too.
    No faster running in a laptop.
    What does high power mode do to these SOC's and wouldn't the iMac Pro be engineered thermally to run in that mode most the time if demanded. 
    Wouldn't need to be a switch to accept the trade-off it would just kick-in automatically. I'd think that maybe they could get those chips in that range with a bigger better cooling path and power supply.

In the past Apple has added screen sizes shortly after design changes like this but generally they've kept the old large size around for a while and added a larger size. 

An iMac 24 with M1 Pro would be rather attractive to our office especially if they offered a matching Display.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    M1 Max2 or whatever based on A15 should be done in time to launch this. Double the core Counts. Increase allowable power draw. Maintain two efficiency cores for mundane tasks to keep usage low when power isn’t needed. But make sure the thing has the ability to eat when we need it to. It’s a DESKTOP.  

The SOCs have the thermal overhead to do this big. 

The new MacBook pros are absolutely owning the laptop scene. Dominating in performance. 

The iMac should do this in the desktop space. Sure it’s an all in one, but AS has changed the rules. 
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    I would like an iMac with a larger display than the 24-inch, be it 27-inch or something else. The 24-inch looks disproportional. The menu on the screen is too close to the upper edge and the part at the bottom seems unneccesary big. And no notch! Please Apple, move away from notches in all your products! Make a Pro model, fine but also one bigger iMac with a price tag that people actually can afford and also not shock the IT-departments out there with (if you even can persuade them to consider a Mac as your work computer).
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    512 gig storage seems awfully small for a Pro machine in 2022. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    WWDC22
    30" Promotion/miniLED 6K Display
    M1 Max/"Ultra" (12+4 CPU / 48 GPU; binned version of actual "Ultra" 16+4 / 64 coming to the MacPro)
    4 full TB4 ports
    Space Gray
    baconstangwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    M1 Max2 or whatever based on A15 should be done in time to launch this. Double the core Counts. Increase allowable power draw. Maintain two efficiency cores for mundane tasks to keep usage low when power isn’t needed. But make sure the thing has the ability to eat when we need it to. It’s a DESKTOP.  

Should be two more M1's in the pipeline, still based on A14 cores; M1 Ultra, and M1 Extreme. Just as there are still two more systems that need to transition to Apple silicon. The new higher end iMac will be released this Summer and get a binned "Ultra" (12+4/48) and the Mac Pro will be released in the Fall with full "Ultra" (16+4/64) and "Extreme" (32+8/128)

M2 will be based on the A16 and released in the Fall. I'd guess in new 12" and 14" MacBooks and an iPad Pro.

In the meantime, this Spring, MacBook Air will a colorful update. Mac mini will get M1 Pro/Max upgrade options. Highest-end 24" iMac may get a low-end "binned" M1 Pro (6+2/14)
    baconstangcanukstormh2pwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 25
    eriamjh said:
    If the new, bigger iMac isn't 30" or greater, I'll just buy the 14" M1 Pro and stick with my old 30" Cinema Displays and continue to use my 27" iMac as a display.  I don't do video work so I'm not missing out.   i just love the big screens.

Either way, I told myself NOT to buy into Apple Silicon until the 2nd generation at a minimum.   That means M2.   I don't expect to see an M2 anything until late 2022 which is fine.   I know my iMac is getting old, but if there are people running Monterey using OCLP on 2010 Macs, I think I can tolerate it another year or two.

Regarding the 27" versus 30 or 32 inch, I really don't see Apple releasing THREE iMac sizes if the next one is a 27 (meaning there will not be a 32 inch).  
    OR… meaning there won’t be a 27 inch…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    30” and above and no notch…..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    danox said:
    30” and above and no notch…..
    If Apple add extra screen real estate over and above the main screen area and move the menu bar into it what difference does it make if that has a camera in the middle?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra