Apple promotes Apple Card Family with $10 Daily Cash offer

Posted:
in General Discussion
For a limited period - and with certain conditions - adding a family member to an existing Apple Card account gets them $10.

Apple Card Daily Cash
Apple Card Daily Cash

Other than a recent erroneous offer of 6% Daily Cash, Apple Card has not seen many new incentives for users. Now, however, Apple has emailed users to offer $10 for any family member they add to their card between November 4, 2021, through November 30, 2021.

Apple is fine with you adding "anyone you call family," so long as they are 13 years or older. A user's Apple Card can be shared with up to five such family members and as each one joins, they get $10 -- if they also make a purchase with the card in the first 30 days.

It's an extension of Apple Card Family, first announced in April 2021. And it does come with a lot of conditions.

As well as adding a new family member within the eligibility period and as well as them using the Apple Card to buy something within 30 days, there is more. Most notably:

Users can add up to five family members, but can't add the same one twice
Existing Apple Card users can't merge their card accounts to get the $10
If a new user buys an item in the period but then returns it, they lose the $10

Apple's email does say that if such a person then buys something else within the period, they will again qualify for the $10. However, this "re-fulfillment" as Apple calls it, "may be delayed."

Apple Card was launched in 2019 and has been a huge, if sometimes controversial, success for Apple. It is exclusively available in the US.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The card seems to be great for a spouse or adult child trying to build a credit history.
    And, it is a nice enhancement to the card that has good control for kids.
    But I wish those controls were stronger.  My grandson had been using a Starbuck's prepaid debit card from Chase that has worked extremely well -- unfortunately they're discontinuing the program tomorrow.

The Apple card let's you put limits on the amount of a transaction, but not on  the number of transactions or the amount available to spend.

Conversely the prepaid debit card worked like a checking account without the possibility of overdraws.  We could add money to the card and he could only spend that money and no more -- if he tried the transaction was declined.

Fortunately though, AppleCash has become so pervasive that it has largely replaced the need for the prepaid debit card (when he had tried it a few years earlier too many places wouldn't accept it).  But, it still requires some work arounds:  like the XBox store won't accept ApplePay, so he will have to use AppleCash to buy a digital gift card from GameStop (or other vendor) and use that at that at the Microsoft store.

The world of traditional banking keeps expanding further and further into FinTech -- and Apple is one of the leaders of that effort.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    "Apple is fine with you adding "anyone you call family," so long as they are 13 years or older." - well, that and that whoever you add has to have their own Apple ID!  Our family has had a shared Apple ID since they first appeared.  Initially because there simply wasn't a need for multiple and because our daughter couldn't have gotten one even if she had wanted to, since it required a credit card and she was 10 at the time.  Later, Apple began making Apple ID a very individual thing and tried to help people go that route by introducing things like 'family sharing'.  Alas, family sharing is incomplete - you could not share contacts, calendars, etc. so we stuck with our 'family Apple ID'.  But Apple is making it ever more inconvenient to do so - from its constant screw ups in keeping our health & activity data separate, to AirPods of one family member constantly trying to connect to other member's iPhones,.....to this stupid Apple Card.  Apple won't issue us a second Apple Card - as you can only have one Apple Card per Apple ID.  Absurd really.  My wife, who earns more than me, can't have her own physical Apple Card, simply because of Apple policies - it's not like there's a technical reason for why two physical cards couldn't exist at the same time.

We love the Apple Card.  We've pretty  much moved all our credit card usage over to it and Apple Pay.  But Apple is really annoying for creating these artificial limits.
    edited November 2021
  • Reply 3 of 4
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tjwolf said:
    "Apple is fine with you adding "anyone you call family," so long as they are 13 years or older." - well, that and that whoever you add has to have their own Apple ID!  Our family has had a shared Apple ID since they first appeared.  Initially because there simply wasn't a need for multiple and because our daughter couldn't have gotten one even if she had wanted to, since it required a credit card and she was 10 at the time.  Later, Apple began making Apple ID a very individual thing and tried to help people go that route by introducing things like 'family sharing'.  Alas, family sharing is incomplete - you could not share contacts, calendars, etc. so we stuck with our 'family Apple ID'.  But Apple is making it ever more inconvenient to do so - from its constant screw ups in keeping our health & activity data separate, to AirPods of one family member constantly trying to connect to other member's iPhones,.....to this stupid Apple Card.  Apple won't issue us a second Apple Card - as you can only have one Apple Card per Apple ID.  Absurd really.  My wife, who earns more than me, can't have her own physical Apple Card, simply because of Apple policies - it's not like there's a technical reason for why two physical cards couldn't exist at the same time.

We love the Apple Card.  We've pretty  much moved all our credit card usage over to it and Apple Pay.  But Apple is really annoying for creating these artificial limits.

Actually, you can share calendars with others both in and out of the family.  But I don't know about the contact list -- but you can definitely share individual contacts.

Family sharing has worked very well for me and my grandson - he has access to my credit card as well as apps and Apple One (which includes Apple Music & TV+) -- as well as the additional iCloud storage it opens up.  It also enables his id to maintain extended AppleCare+ on all his items where the two year plan expired.   One feature of it that I have not used but sounds promising is that a parent can specify screen time/down time for the kids -- that could be very helpful -- where the alternative might be to physically take the phone from the kid.  It's would be easier and more helpful to let them know that the phone shuts down at 9:00pm on school nights.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple should add Buy now,Pay later to it's credit card and mange it. Another service revenue stream.