Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky joins Apple's board of directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
Apple on Tuesday announced that Alex Gorsky, chairman and CEO of healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson, has been named to its board of directors, expanding the company's corporate governing body to nine people.

Alex Gorsky

Under Gorsky's watch, Johnson & Johnson has become the world's largest healthcare company and an important participant in researching emerging health technologies, Apple said in a press release.

"Alex has long been a visionary in healthcare, applying his tremendous insight, experience, and passion for technology to the cause of improving lives and building healthier communities," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "We're excited to welcome him to Apple's board of directors, and I know that all of us will benefit from his leadership and expertise."

Gorsky joined Johnson & Johnson in 1988 and has since worked in a variety of roles including sales, management and marketing. Named CEO in 2012, the executive emphasized innovation and technology with investments in the pharmaceutical, medical device and consumer health sectors. He currently oversees a global workforce of about 130,000 people, but is scheduled to hand the title of CEO over to Joaquin Duato in January 2022.

In addition to Apple, Gorsky serves on the boards of IBM, Travis Manion Foundation, and The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He is also a member of the Business Roundtable's board of directors and the chairman of its Corporate Governance committee.

"I've long shared Apple's belief that technology has the potential to improve lives and create healthier communities," Gorsky said. "It's an honor to join Apple's board of directors, and to be part of a values-led company that's constantly innovating to both enable and enhance the way we live."

In line with Apple's key corporate initiatives, Gorsky, a former captain in the U.S. Army, advocates for improving mental health services for veterans and is a "trailblazer" for diversity and inclusion. The new board member holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, and later earned a Master of Business Administration from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

Gorsky joins Apple board members Cook, Arthur D. Levinson, James A. Bell, Al Gore, Andrea Jung, Monica Lozano, Ronald D. Sugar and Susan L. Wagner. Apple's board was most recently expanded this year when Lozano, current president and CEO of College Futures Foundation, took a seat at the table in January.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    "I've long shared Apple's belief that technology has the potential to improve lives and create healthier communities," Gorsky said. "It's an honor to join Apple's board of directors, and to be part of a values-led company that's constantly innovating to both enable and enhance the way we live."
    Hmmm.... Values? Like big pharma has any interest whatsoever in improving our health. But then again, does Apple? I am not convinced.
    williamlondonOfercat52GeorgeBMacbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paxman said:
    Hmmm.... Values? Like big pharma has any interest whatsoever in improving our health. But then again, does Apple? I am not convinced.
    Yeah, I’m not American, but I have heard and read enough in-depth long stories about your healthcare system. I don’t know anything about him and shouldn’t judge him from what is a press release article pretty much. However .. I don’t see anything special here.

I think it’s just business as usual: get an insider to help Apple better learn how to approach healthcare companies and sell health services to American hospitals, probably.
    williamlondonOfer
  • Reply 3 of 8
    LOL! Johnson & Johnson is terrible. So many lawsuits and losses. And a botched vaccine. I am so glad I my family and I got the Pfizer. Pharmaceuticals? Really Apple? Was the coal industry not answering its phone?
    JustSomeGuy1williamlondonOfercat52byronl
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Shockingly tone-deaf move on Apple's part. This may be seen as a serious error in the long run. It depends on whether they can successfully distance themselves from the likely shitstorm headed J&J's way.

See, for example, https://www.npr.org/2021/10/21/1047828535/baby-powder-cancer-johnson-johnson-bankruptcy . As the commenter above said, he's a useful link into the healthcare industry, but I'm not sure that's going to outweigh the trouble he may bring with him.
    williamlondonOfercat52rotateleftbytedavgregbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    paxman said:
    No for profit company on the planet runs just to enhance people's lives. Profits and company health dictate everything. Sure, companies like Apple won't build anything just to increase their profits, but that's because they want to differentiate themselves and keep their high quality, innovative image - not because they really care for others but because it's what keeps the Apple brand alive and brings in those amazing revenues. If a company innovates which helps a lot of people, it's because it knows that it's necessary to keep them healthy and alive in the long run. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    J&J is not looking well run or a good company these days.

They knowingly sold contaminated Talc to people that was put on babies and commonly put on the privates of women and men. The lawyers will be feasting on J&J for many years over that.

There are far better companies operating in the medical/healthcare space.
    williamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    paxman said:

Big Pharma and the so called "healthcare" industry are really just a "Disease Management" industry.
    A growing healthcare industry focuses on keeping people disease free using "Lifestyle Medicine" whose medicine is: 
    -- Healthy diet (and avoidance of toxins like cigarettes and alcohol)
    -- Exercise
    -- Quality sleep
    -- Stress management

Particularly with the AppleWatch, Apple seems to try to straddle both worlds:   They promote things like stress management, sleep and exercise but require the approval of the "Disease Management" industry to sell things like an EKG or glucose monitor.
    muthuk_vanalingamBeatsbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 8
    A bit confused..
    Doesnt appointments of board members require an election procedure  a resolution and voting by the shareholders?
    If so when did that take place ? 
    williamlondonbyronl