User-modified iPhone X with USB-C port sells for $86K

Posted:
in iPhone
An auction for an iPhone X modified with a working USB-C port, complete with full data transfer and charging capabilities, ended on Thursday, with one deep-pocketed buyer shelling out $86,001 for the device.

USB-C iPhone

Created by engineering student Ken Pillonel, the USB-C iPhone X was unveiled in October and instantly captured the imagination of iPhone users champing at the bit for more modern connector.

Pillonel released a video explainer of the build in early November and, as expected, the process was more than a simple parts swap.

In addition to reverse engineering Apple's C94 connector, Pillonel had to fabricate a custom circuit board, test and route connections, and squeeze USB-C parts into an already crammed case. The final result was put up for auction on eBay with bids quickly soaring north of $85,000.

As noted by Gizmodo, the auction ended today with a winning bid of $86,001. A total of 116 bids were placed, most of which came within the first three days.

Pillonel guarantees that the iPhone is functional, but warned against restoring, updating or erasing the device. Further, he said the buyer should not use the heavily modified iPhone as their primary device, and stipulated that its case not be opened.

"So basically you can do whatever you want with it but don't expect anything from me if you break something. It is just a prototype," Pillonel said in the listing's description.

While Apple has yet to commit to switching its flagship platform to USB-C, as it has other hardware like iPad and Mac, brave users can attempt to replicate Pillonel's project by following detailed instructions released on GitHub. Modifying iPhone will, of course, void its warranty and there is no guarantee of success.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    And then the next iPhone comes out with usb-c. How stupid would that buyer feel? I wonder if the guy who made it bid on it himself and won for publicity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    In the end other than blowing $86k there is no improvement in functionality. Nothing for a whole lot of something (cash). 
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    People gotta blow their money on something, at least it's more useful than an NFT.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cpsro said:
    People gotta blow their money on something, at least it's more useful than an NFT.
    Fake account beats. No one pays.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Dishing out that kind of cash is not really about the function aspect of the modified device, but the bragging rights of owning the world’s first USC-C iPhone. The phone will probably sit in a glass case with other collectibles. $86K might be a lot to many but not much to others. 
    Got a friend who invested early on Bitcoin and Tesla, played some good Options, this kinda cash is little to him.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Absurd.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    I get that this would have been an interesting project for the guy who made it, and I also understand that $86k isn’t a lot to everybody, but I still struggle to see why anyone would pay anything for this.  I mean even as a bit of a geek I’m thinking… who cares?  

Yes it’s annoying that apple won’t commit to usb c yet, and when they do and we have actual properly supported iPhones with that connector it will be a big deal, but this isn’t that.  This is a hack of an old phone that will
    sort of work until you or apple break it, and that’s it.  Mildly interesting but of no great consequence, and I’d still take any of Apple’s newer phones, complete with lightning connector over this.
    radarthekationiclewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Has Apple given this young engineer a job offer yet? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    macbootx said:
    Call me crazy but I think Apple’s own engineers may already know how to add USB-C to the iPhone.
    bloggerblogradarthekatmike1tokyojimucitpekswatto_cobrastompy
  • Reply 10 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    fallenjt said:
    cpsro said:
    The bids actually topped out slightly over 100K, but the winner reneged. On down the line to this buyer who honored his bid and paid. So no, they weren't all "fake". 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    petri said:
    macbootx said:
    Call me crazy but I think Apple’s own engineers may already know how to add USB-C to the iPhone.
    We’ll clearly they don’t, otherwise they would have done it already!

I thought this was a neat project when I initially saw the report, but why would anyone pay more than the cost of the phone? It’s not like it’s some groundbreaking technology and functionally it’s actually less than the original phone because it loses its water resistance (and warranty)
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    MplsP said:
    petri said:
    macbootx said:

I thought this was a neat project when I initially saw the report, but why would anyone pay more than the cost of the phone? It’s not like it’s some groundbreaking technology and functionally it’s actually less than the original phone because it loses its water resistance (and warranty)
    You seriously believe Apple hasn't chosen to use a USB-C connector on the iPhone because they don't have engineers who know how?!
    First, they have USB-C connectors on other products, so they probably do.
    Second, choosing to not use the connector is not the same as not knowing how to include.
    Third, there is really no practical advantage to changing over on an iPhone.
    edited November 2021 bloggerblogFidonet127qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    fallenjt said:
    cpsro said:
    The bids actually topped out slightly over 100K, but the winner reneged. On down the line to this buyer who honored his bid and paid. So no, they weren't all "fake". 

It was fake. Nobody pays this much for a modded iPhone. What makes you think only one bidder was fake? To make the scam work (and I’m 100% convinced this was a publicity scam) you need multiple fake bidders to create the illusion of demand.

Paying the resulting commission fee would be less than the publicity he received.

This is also very common in classic car auctions (which I happen to have many years experience in). People keep upping the bid to make it appear the vehicle has more value than it really does. Even if you get stuck buying your own car back you still come out ahead.

If I buy my $50K (actual value) car at Barrett Jackson for a fake bid of $100K I would only be out-of-pocket $10-15K. I then list my car for sale with the tagline “Recently bought at Barrett Jackson for $100K).

Vehicle collectors see the ad and laugh saying “you paid twice what it’s worth”. Rich people/celebrities who think it’s cool to own a classic car think that the price is fair since it was bought at a famous car auction.

There are countless auction type scams out there and I don’t believe for a second someone was stupid enough to buy this iPhone for $86K. 
    M68000qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Apple is right now patching iOS to block iPhones modded with USB-C ports, you known, for your own protection.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    gatorguy said:
    fallenjt said:
    cpsro said:
    eBay is seriously hacked and out of control.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mike1 said:
    MplsP said:
    petri said:
    macbootx said:

You seriously believe Apple hasn't chosen to use a USB-C connector on the iPhone because they don't have engineers who know how?!
    First, they have USB-C connectors on other products, so they probably do.
    Second, choosing to not use the connector is not the same as not knowing how to include.
    Third, there is really no practical advantage to changing over on an iPhone.
    The only nitpick I have is the third point -- there's little technical advantage to having a Type-C port on an iPhone, since it already supports PD via Lightning.

However, as a practical matter, it would relieve the need to have, or carry a Lightning cable when traveling, if your other gear all has Type-C ports.

Otherwise, to say Apple lacks the wherewithal to implement Type-C on the iPhone is plainly absurd, topped by the notion that someone would pay tens of thousands for a homebrew hack of a four-year old model.  Wouldn't be surprising to find such an Apple prototype exists, and one will eventually make it into the hands of one of those Apple collectors who show them off on Twitter.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I’m sure Elon musk or other person with enough cash to throw away thought it would be a novelty to own this.  Hilarious