The new MacBook Pro: Why did Apple backtrack on everything?

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 173
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    > Why did Apple backtrack on everything?
    why?  because there is a god, and she loves us.
    the 2021 MBP is finally back to something i want.  bought two, naturally.

kojack
  • Reply 162 of 173
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    docno42 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    No other laptops (except Alienware) can do eGPU+external SSD without any interference. 
    Apple SOC doesn't support eGPU and I would expect it's a low priority, if it's even a goal.  Another red herring.  
    Pfft.

we’re talking about older Intel models and you wanna switch topics to M1s.

If you don’t understand how it works, I won’t blame you.  Switching conversation is too low for me.  No more arguments.
    No one was talking about Intel machines, this entire thread is about the new MacBook Pros.  You should probably get on the same page as everyone else before throwing around accusations that other people don't understand.
    Oh are we not?  I said "Intel Macs with eGPU + SSD" but the M1 can't use eGPUs, so Thunderbolt on Intel is also pointless?  We are comparing older Macs to older laptops, aren't we?

Either way, I explained on the post above, he clearly doesn't understand why and I don't want to waste my time.
    You literally responded to someone talking about the addition of HDMI and SD and removal of a Thunderbolt port on the new MacBook Pros saying that you'd prefer the bandwidth (of an extra Thunderbolt port) and used an eGPU as your example.  But since the new M1 MacBook Pros are not currently compatible with eGPUs that's a duff example. 

You also never said "Intel Macs with eGPU + SSD".  I searched the entire thread, you never said it. So now I don't think you're engaging in good faith.  And this sentence "the M1 can't use eGPUs, so Thunderbolt on Intel is also pointless?" is just bizarre.  You're just making stuff up.

So no, we are definitely not talking about Intel MacBook Pros.  You are the only person doing that, and yes you are wasting your time and everyone else's.  So please read the thread back, get on the same page, and quit with the telling other people they don't understand.
    edited November 2021 muthuk_vanalingamdocno42
  • Reply 163 of 173
    tundraboy said:
    Yeah, as great as a designer as he is, Jony started to sacrifice too much utility and durability at the altar of form.  (Much like Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings and houses looked great and innovative but were prone to structural and water damage.)  Jony's departure was timely.  He was probably getting bored too as there is only so much designing one can do on thin rectangular bricks.
    You mean to say there was only so much thickness he could shave off the devices before they were completely unusable right?  He's a one trick pony. I have seen other things he "designed" too. The leica camera which was a terrible design. His pretentious "lovefrom award"...He's washed up now. It's great to see apple moving away from his god awful choices of thinner at all costs design to moving back to acutal function over form.  I did like the idea of the touchbar, as it could do many things if implemented correctly.
    edited December 2021 williamlondondocno42
  • Reply 164 of 173
    kojack said:
    tundraboy said:
    Yeah, as great as a designer as he is, Jony started to sacrifice too much utility and durability at the altar of form.  (Much like Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings and houses looked great and innovative but were prone to structural and water damage.)  Jony's departure was timely.  He was probably getting bored too as there is only so much designing one can do on thin rectangular bricks.
    You mean to say there was only so much thickness he could shave off the devices before they were completely unusable right?  He's a one trick pony. I have seen other things he "designed" too. The leica camera which was a terrible design. His pretentious "lovefrom award"...He's washed up now. It's great to see apple moving away from his god awful choices of thinner at all costs design to moving back to acutal function over form.  I did like the idea of the touchbar, as it could do many things if implemented correctly.
    What a charmer you are denigrating someone that is responsible for so much of Apple's successes. Easy to do from your internet armchair. You realise most of the planet disagrees with you, but go ahead with your little silly narrative that you are this master designer critique and Jony Ive is crap, and rewrite history in your own mind, doesn't make it so.
  • Reply 165 of 173
    kojack said:
    tundraboy said:
    What a charmer you are denigrating someone that is responsible for so much of Apple's successes. Easy to do from your internet armchair. You realise most of the planet disagrees with you, but go ahead with your little silly narrative that you are this master designer critique and Jony Ive is crap, and rewrite history in your own mind, doesn't make it so.
    Keep defending poor choices all in the name of the almighty fruit. Where to start. 

• removal of ports
    • poorly designed keyboards that routinely failed in the name of thinness
    • Notch for face ID instead of proper design of the system and touch ID remaining
    • thinner iPhones to the point that if you look at them wrong, they would bend.
    • thinner iphones at the expense of battery life. 
    • regurgitation of current designs over and over
    • fragile macbooks where the slightest movement of the lid would crack the screen glass by the macbook label
    • piss poor cpu/gpu cooling on macbook pro in the name of thinness
    • removal of any user upgradability for macbook, imac, mac mini

the list goes on and on.  The "AMAZING" jony Ive leica camera. built from the slipperiest materials known to man. All buttons removed for image control in favor of touchscreen menus which are useless basically for a camera. 

And NO. the "world" does not disagree with me.  Even apple does not since they are reversing many of the silly design flaws Johnny instilled in apples design philosophy until his firing. 
    edited December 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 166 of 173
    kojack said:
    kojack said:
    tundraboy said:
    Keep defending poor choices all in the name of the almighty fruit. Where to start. 

• removal of ports
    • poorly designed keyboards that routinely failed in the name of thinness
    • Notch for face ID instead of proper design of the system and touch ID remaining
    • thinner iPhones to the point that if you look at them wrong, they would bend.
    • thinner iphones at the expense of battery life. 
    • regurgitation of current designs over and over
    • fragile macbooks where the slightest movement of the lid would crack the screen glass by the macbook label
    • piss poor cpu/gpu cooling on macbook pro in the name of thinness
    • removal of any user upgradability for macbook, imac, mac mini

the list goes on and on.  The "AMAZING" jony Ive leica camera. built from the slipperiest materials known to man. All buttons removed for image control in favor of touchscreen menus which are useless basically for a camera. 

And NO. the "world" does not disagree with me.  Even apple does not since they are reversing many of the silly design flaws Johnny instilled in apples design philosophy until his firing. 
    Most successful company on the planet, and yet your diatribe is an ode to a failed one, just showing how completely out of touch your bigotry is with reality.

The trope you throw around is old and stale, but go ahead and think of it as original, you obviously live in an alt reality.
  • Reply 167 of 173
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    docno42 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    No other laptops (except Alienware) can do eGPU+external SSD without any interference. 
    Apple SOC doesn't support eGPU and I would expect it's a low priority, if it's even a goal.  Another red herring.  
    Pfft.

If you don’t understand how it works, I won’t blame you.  Switching conversation is too low for me.  No more arguments.
    No one was talking about Intel machines, this entire thread is about the new MacBook Pros.  You should probably get on the same page as everyone else before throwing around accusations that other people don't understand.
    Oh are we not?  I said "Intel Macs with eGPU + SSD" but the M1 can't use eGPUs, so Thunderbolt on Intel is also pointless?  We are comparing older Macs to older laptops, aren't we?

Either way, I explained on the post above, he clearly doesn't understand why and I don't want to waste my time.
    You literally responded to someone talking about the addition of HDMI and SD and removal of a Thunderbolt port on the new MacBook Pros saying that you'd prefer the bandwidth (of an extra Thunderbolt port) and used an eGPU as your example.  But since the new M1 MacBook Pros are not currently compatible with eGPUs that's a duff example. 

You also never said "Intel Macs with eGPU + SSD".  I searched the entire thread, you never said it. So now I don't think you're engaging in good faith.  And this sentence "the M1 can't use eGPUs, so Thunderbolt on Intel is also pointless?" is just bizarre.  You're just making stuff up.

So no, we are definitely not talking about Intel MacBook Pros.  You are the only person doing that, and yes you are wasting your time and everyone else's.  So please read the thread back, get on the same page, and quit with the telling other people they don't understand.

Answer me this:  My point is "pointless" because the 4th thunderbolt won't add more bandwidth, does that mean the older Intel MacBook Pros doesn't have the highest bandwidth available on laptops, which is what I am trying to say?  Who's the one that can't comprehend?

Oh, then he said "bandwidth is almost useless" because M1 don't use eGPUs.  I didn't see that "low priority" in the beginning, so my bad.  If you want to ignore the bandwidth, go ahead, don't accuse it "trash" because of something you never used, or why would the M1 still include more of them, are we saying expandability means nothing?  I don't want to defend the lack of ports but it's not junk like what he flaps his mouth all around.
  • Reply 168 of 173
    And that I don't even want to defend those last Intel Macs.  These i9s are bad even with decent cooling and their IMC never caught up, but who would know that we'll be stuck on 14nm for five years.  Then there's the keyboard.

Does that mean all of the points are bad?  No.  Many of them make their way to the new design, like your bandwidth.  There are people out there who can take it to the maximum, with or without eGPUs.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 169 of 173
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Never mind, I probably shouldn't be this angry all the time, especially seeing how uninformed these YouTube comments are, which makes me cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZX7tjnb9sE

Didn't know some $200 Motorola beats the iPhone X 😂
    williamlondon
  • Reply 170 of 173
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    docno42 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Pfft.

Answer me this:  My point is "pointless" because the 4th thunderbolt won't add more bandwidth, does that mean the older Intel MacBook Pros doesn't have the highest bandwidth available on laptops, which is what I am trying to say?  Who's the one that can't comprehend?
    In this instance it’s me, because I have very little idea what question you’re asking. 

Please spend less time being angry and a little more working on a comprehensible sentence structure. 
    docno42
  • Reply 171 of 173
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    docno42 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Pfft.

In this instance it’s me, because I have very little idea what question you’re asking. 

Please spend less time being angry and a little more working on a comprehensible sentence structure. 
    Or, you need a better understanding of the block diagram, not nitpicking on the grammar.

Don’t pick a side unless you understand the topic.  Go look what “DMI 3.0” is, google it, your typical OEM only use this.  Then look at any Intel CPU between 6th and 9th-gen in their ark site, specifically the PCI-E section, either 1x16 or 1x8.  You’ll figured out.

If you still don’t understand, that’s not my job anymore.
  • Reply 172 of 173
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    DuhSesame said:
    docno42 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Pfft.

Or, you need a better understanding of the block diagram, not nitpicking on the grammar.

Don’t pick a side unless you understand the topic.  Go look what “DMI 3.0” is, google it, your typical OEM only use this.  Then look at any Intel CPU between 6th and 9th-gen in their ark site, specifically the PCI-E section, either 1x16 or 1x8.  You’ll figured out.

If you still don’t understand, that’s not my job anymore.
    It’s not nitpicking at the grammar to say I have no idea what you’re talking about or what you’re asking me. If you can rephrase the question to something that isn’t word soup and run on sentences then maybe I could have a go.

The technical aspects are not the issue, so stop trying to show off.

And it makes little sense to tell me to pick a side after you asked me a question. I haven’t picked a side, I can’t even get my head round the question. Your “point” is “pointless”? What?  Talk in complete and sensible sentences please.
    edited December 2021 docno42
  • Reply 173 of 173
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    mcdave said:
    Because post-Jobs/Ive Apple has transitioned from skating to where the puck is going to be to skating to where the puck was a few years ago. If the vocal minority want "faster horses" - new Apple delivers! They'd rather pursue marketshare than product excellence, sacrificing the portability of a portable computer to add a load of old, redundant ports.
    That is, frankly, absurd.  Every choice makes sense.  The first is they are producing much more powerful pro machines with much longer battery life.  This has required them to make them a little larger.  For years, we’ve heard the “pro” lineup was a misnomer.  Now, their high end MBP’s are unquestionably for video and multimedia professionals.  

They removed the touchbar because while it was cool, it just wasn’t that functional and wasn’t something that ever developed further.  

Adding ports didn’t sacrifice the portability of a portable computer. If anything, long battery life and form factors make it *more* portable. I literally just received my 14 inch MacBook Pro today, replacing a 15 inch 2015 MacBook Pro on which the display failed.  I would never have considered a 13 inch as it is just too small. And the 16 inches frankly a little too big for what I want to use it for. Also, much more expensive. Here, Apple gave someone like me who needs prosumer-level power an option.  

And as for market share over design, that’s just silly. Apple *of course* wants to make the best products it can…and sell as many of them as possible. Part of that is market research and knowing what their customers want. It’s knowing what new customers want. The vast majority of new customers or even existing customers don’t care that the new MacBook Pro is half an inch thicker. They don’t care that it’s half a pound heavier.  Apple knows this because they actually do market research.  Either way, you trying to make a point that Apple suddenly doesn’t care about making the best products is laughably naïve.  These laptops absolutely blow away the competition in almost every sense, including design and style.  Real world performance. Portability. Battery life. Connectivity. Display. The only thing a PC laptop can even touch them on it is heavy gaming applications, and then only with a power adapter.  So your criticism, in my view, is way off base.  

muthuk_vanalingamdocno42