Help! Any insight or Info welcome re: 16" M1Pro NON delivery!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
On Oct 18, immediately as the Apple Store re-opened, I ordered a 16” M1Pro 10-core cpu, 16-core gpu, 32gb ram, 2tb ssd.
yeah…
It stayed at "Processing" for six days, til Oct 24, when it changed to "Preparing to Ship"
On Oct 25 it "Shipped".
It was hand delivered by UPS on 11/1, before noon, EST.
Welcome screen beautiful. Clicked to begin; to enter my Apple ID info. I've been an Apple customer since my first PowerMac G4.
Immediately after clicking to begin, bottom of screen, 3/4” flickers. Thin horizontal bars. 😐
Called support. They directed me to do the following:
Re-start in safe mode. (Still flickers.)
Updating from Monterey 12.0 to 12.0.1. Screen flicker persistsed after updating to Monterey 12.0.1.

2nd call to support. 11/1. Referred from support to sales. Investigation opened. Got an email almost immediately, requesting photos of package, etc. The package was fine. No outward signs of mishandling or damage. I sent pics of flickering screen and everything they asked for. 

11/2   
Having sent pics and getting no email acknowledging receipt of pics, I called support. I was told 2-3 days for the investigation.
Support today assured me the issue was hardware related; most likely something done during shipping. Absolutely NO damage to box. I was bounced from support to post sales to AppleCare back to post sales.

As I was talking to one of the post sales people, the screen went black. It was on Safari, with my Apple account open. On re-start, the screen is virtually black. The faintest of greys barely reveals the Apple logo.

I was able to learn they got all the photos. Seems I’m eligible for return/replace. (They send shipping label. I ship, they inspect; if approved, they replace with exact spec’d laptop, time dependent on availability. I was told by post sales I was eligible for expedited replacement through AppleCare. They send replacement immediately. I return the defective computer later. AppleCare however said no, I was NOT eligible for expedited replace/return. I did purchase AppleCare+. Cost me about an hour for that circular conversation.

Since the screen is now black, I can’t use it at all. Expedited replace/return would have given me use til I got a new one. But that is irrelevant now. T
hey emailed me a shipping label. I Fedex’d it about an hour later. It is on its way to Carlisle, Pa., to arrive on Thursday the 4th. I’ll get an email then on what’s next.

IF they concur; a new one, exact specs and color, will be shipped “expedited” when available.

There were other options. Return for refund. Take it to an Apple Store. I’d rather not deal with the Apple Store mandatory mask zone policies. Plus waiting for funds to be returned, etc. Also, a new purchase would show up as exactly that, with all the angst about "how, when and where " regarding shipping beginning again. On the other hand; I was assured by numerous Apple reps, that when using return/replace; processing, shipping and delivery will all be expedited.

Talking to a lead supervisor in AppleCare, she said she’s seen nothing like this ever.
Neither have I. Powermac G4, iMac core 2 duo, 17” i7 MacBook Pro, half dozen or so iPods, iPads, and iPhones. And two M1 MacBook Airs. Never an issue, except the 17” graphics (repaired by Apple out of warranty) and a spinning drive failure or two; well past Apple Care expiration. In fact, the graphics issues on the 17" occurred well past the warranty expiration, yet Apple fixed at no charge. 

Everyone has been polite, helpful, and as surprised as me. Two support people assumed it was an intel MacBook Pro.

Fast forward to Nov. 11, Day 11.

No change. “Arrives Dec 8 - Dec 15”
Day 9 of “Processing”.

When I called support on 11/9, she said it should ship in a day or two. It hasn't. I haven't called tech yet to find out what was wrong with the one I originally received. I'll let you know if I find out. Interesting that no one has chimed in with the same issue. What are the odds that I am the only one? 

And finally today, Nov. 14, Day 14  (16" M1Pro ordered Oct 18. Defective computer delivered Nov 1).

No change. Replacement “Arrives Dec 8 - Dec 15”
Day 12 of “Processing”.

Any insight? So frustrating to see many folks delivered multiple units and configurations of both the 14" AND 16". Some ordered multiples just to take advantage of the liberal return policy. I have been billed and am coming up on my 2nd installment payment, Apple Card. I also purchased the AppleCare+. As was mentioned, one supervisor stated she's NEVER seen this. Since my many Apple purchases over the years, neither have i. And despite being assured this was all being expedited, if I order from the online store right now, the exact configuration lists as "Delivers Dec 10 - Dec 17". Two days later than my "expedited replacement". 

Anyone else have this issue with the bottom of the screen flickering? Then going completely dark 24hrs later? 
Anyone have ANY info as to why it might be taking this long? Chip shortage? SSD Shortage? RAM shortage? It's already twice the processing time as my original order? 

Am I truly experiencing a one in a million case?

Thank you for your time ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Sucks that you had a dead out of the box unit.

the delay on the replacement is 100% chip supply issues. Could be flash, could be RAM, could be any one of those 100 chips on the board.
    TimboguitarMplsP
  • Reply 2 of 4

the delay on the replacement is 100% chip supply issues. Could be flash, could be RAM, could be any one of those 100 chips on the board.
    I appreciate your insight. However, last week; I spoke to a service rep. She assured me, “It should ship in a day or two. Once it ships, you should get it in 2-4 days.” 

That was five days ago. If at any time, ANYONE said, “Hey, we’ve got a chip shortage. It’s gonna be at least 4 weeks”; I’d be disappointed. But it is what it is. I would know the truth and can plan accordingly. 

But since the beginning I’ve been assured, the replacement would be expedited. I would be in front of the queue. 

It appears I’ve been misled. 

Again, thanks for your reply…

• Reply 3 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

I appreciate your insight. However, last week; I spoke to a service rep. She assured me, “It should ship in a day or two. Once it ships, you should get it in 2-4 days.” 

That was five days ago. If at any time, ANYONE said, “Hey, we’ve got a chip shortage. It’s gonna be at least 4 weeks”; I’d be disappointed. But it is what it is. I would know the truth and can plan accordingly. 

But since the beginning I’ve been assured, the replacement would be expedited. I would be in front of the queue. 

When they say "expedited" that just means from a labor standpoint. Instead of FIFO, you got bumped to the head of the line as far as processing the return, and the like. They can't ship what they don't have.

And, you can't always count on Apple service reps to give completely accurate information as it pertains to the supply chain.
    MplsPTimboguitar
  • Reply 4 of 4

When they say "expedited" that just means from a labor standpoint. Instead of FIFO, you got bumped to the head of the line as far as processing the return, and the like. They can't ship what they don't have.

And, you can't always count on Apple service reps to give completely accurate information as it pertains to the supply chain.
    That certainly appears to be the case. I didn't ask her for that response. She volunteered that info. What I asked for was offered by you; an honest heads-up as to what's going on. I've posted here and on another forum. No one has reported the same or similar issues with their M1Pro 16". It a appears I AM the victim of a one-off, one in a million incident. It still shows "Processing", with an arrival of "Dec 8 - Dec - 15". Given everything that's happened with this, I wonder how they are basing the estimated delivery. So I seriously question the estimated time. 

Thanks for your reply!!