Apple expands driver pool for self-driving car tests by 23

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple has increased the number of drivers for its fleet of autonomous vehicles, with the headcount of testers for its self-driving vehicle systems now at 137 people.

A vehicle used for self-driving tests by Apple

Apple has been steadily increasing its group of drivers used to collect data and trial its self-driving car technology on roads in the United States. The company has continued the upward trend by adding more people to the roster.

In data from the California Department of Motor Vehicles seen by MacReports, Apple has increased the number of driver permits by 23, bringing the total number of its drivers up to 137. In September, the count was at 114, while in August and May, it was 92 drivers and 76 drivers respectively.

While the number of drivers has gone up, the number of vehicles being used for testing remains the same, at 69 cars. Meanwhile, companies including Mercedes Benz, Waymo, GM Cruise, Zoox, and Pony have all added more cars to their fleets.

The increase in driver numbers still puts Apple far behind other companies. For example, Cruise has 992 permits, Waymo has 1,628, and Zoox has 315.

The latest figures also reveal that Apple has still yet to apply for a driverless vehicle permit. Of the others, Cruise has increased its driverless fleet from 5 to 20 permits, with Waymo still in the lead with 34.

Data on collisions for autonomous vehicles show that Apple has added one more to its records, bringing it to a total of six collisions on file.

Apple is widely thought to be working on its own self-driving systems, possibly as a precursor to its own "Apple Car," under the internal name of "Project Titan." Various reports have covered restructuring of the effort, and even supposed discussions about car production, but it does seem that the project is continuing to grow within the company.

In October, Apple posted a job listing searching for a "Radar Test Engineer" for the Special Projects Group. On November 5, Apple hired a former Tesla engineer, seemingly to work on software for the vehicle.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    69 cars had 6 collisions? That's not good.
    Perhaps Apple should focus on the user interface and leave the self driving part up to the experts? Partner with NVIDIA who seems to have a really good system in development and is open to working with other companies.
    darkvader
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Perhaps Apple should focus on the user interface and leave the self driving part up to the experts? Partner with NVIDIA who seems to have a really good system in development and is open to working with other companies.
    It's not the number of cars that's important, it's the number of miles driven. If each car only drove a few hundred miles, yeah, six collisions is a lot. If each car drove 100,000 miles, I'd think six collisions wasn't too bad -- especially since some of those accidents were likely the fault of OTHER drivers...

Meanwhile, how does one get to have the job of a "test driver"? Where do I sign up?!
    edited November 2021 qwerty52williamlondonAlex_V
  • Reply 3 of 7
    writerguy said:
    It's not the number of cars that's important, it's the number of miles driven. If each car only drove a few hundred miles, yeah, six collisions is a lot. If each car drove 100,000 miles, I'd think six collisions wasn't too bad -- especially since some of those accidents were likely the fault of OTHER drivers...

Meanwhile, how does one get to have the job of a "test driver"? Where do I sign up?!

They only drove about 18k miles in 2020, the next mileage report isn't due until January.  That's not per car, that's total miles for all their cars.  Unless this year's miles are much higher than last year, 6 crashes is not at all good.

And do you really want a job making close to minimum wage in the Bay Area?  Because I'd seriously doubt Apple is paying much for that job, I'd be really surprised if it was even $20/hour.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    darkvader said:
    writerguy said:

They only drove about 18k miles in 2020, the next mileage report isn't due until January.  That's not per car, that's total miles for all their cars.  Unless this year's miles are much higher than last year, 6 crashes is not at all good.

And do you really want a job making close to minimum wage in the Bay Area?  Because I'd seriously doubt Apple is paying much for that job, I'd be really surprised if it was even $20/hour.
    It depends on the tests being executed. If the only thing they're testing is crash avoidance, then 6 crashes in 18K miles might be excellent. 

Anyway, the test harnesses I've written for applications didn't put much emphasis on stuff that couldn't fail, but on situations where failure was a possibility. 
    edited November 2021
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    I really hope Apple are working on a better version of Apple Maps for Car Play, along with this Apple Car Development.  I am halfway back to Florida, having driven from Florida to the top of New Hampshire this summer.  The inability to set waypoints is so frustrating, since Apple Maps rarely chooses the path I want to take if given a destination hundreds of miles away.  I use 84 and 81 rather than I95 for much of the journey, as an example. This required selecting intermediate destinations as there are no waypoints allowed.

This all combined means you can't plot an entire trip with hotel stops and you can't force the route to deviate from Apple's choices easily.  The solution was to use lots of short distance destinations, a colossal waste of time not to mention no overall trip plan possible.

Setting each short-hop destination while driving with road noise is also very frustrating as Siri rarely hears the correct words the first few attempts and the hilarious misunderstandings cease to be funny when in fast moving, heavy traffic on an interstate with a major lane choice looming. /rant
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Suggestion to Apple: Stay with media and computers/mobile. Bug infested products do not build reputation to start new business between big companies that already test their solutions (GM and Amazon Zoox). Fix the problems in current lines first.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MacPro said:
    I really hope Apple are working on a better version of Apple Maps for Car Play, along with this Apple Car Development.  I am halfway back to Florida, having driven from Florida to the top of New Hampshire this summer.  The inability to set waypoints is so frustrating, since Apple Maps rarely chooses the path I want to take if given a destination hundreds of miles away.  I use 84 and 81 rather than I95 for much of the journey, as an example. This required selecting intermediate destinations as there are no waypoints allowed.

This all combined means you can't plot an entire trip with hotel stops and you can't force the route to deviate from Apple's choices easily.  The solution was to use lots of short distance destinations, a colossal waste of time not to mention no overall trip plan possible.

Setting each short-hop destination while driving with road noise is also very frustrating as Siri rarely hears the correct words the first few attempts and the hilarious misunderstandings cease to be funny when in fast moving, heavy traffic on an interstate with a major lane choice looming. /rant
    Apple pundits will tell you that Apple knows better what you want and you should stick to it. That is normal for brainwashed young people these days. To avoid that madness I use Waze (well owned by Google) and block even Google Maps. You just need to split the route as I think 600 miles is limit. Waze works with Apple Car Play and Android Auto.