Compared: iPad mini vs Kindle Paperwhite

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I can't stand to look at e-ink.  No idea why, but it's instant eyestrain for me.

I don't have problems reading text on a LCD screen (as long as it's not dark mode) and I'm good with actual paper.  But e-ink is just awful.

williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 24
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    It's interesting that there's no mention of the best e-reader:  A laptop.

It's got a really nice feature that I really love for reading:  It doesn't need a separate stand to keep the screen in a comfortable orientation.  It's also got a much bigger screen than even the biggest iPad.  And it's got the Kindle app, the iBooks app, and your choice of any PDF reader you want.  It can also be used to strip the DRM from ebooks, letting you shift them to any format you like.

It's been my e-reader of choice for decades.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 24
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 134member
    I have both the new mini and a paper white bought back in 2020. 

For me I always choose the kindle to read on. Just easier in the hands (weight & size) and on the eyes. They are always on sale a few times a year too. It’s only downside is the UI is slow but I can live with that. Kindle books are often good value if you wait a while too (or get Kindle Unlimited service if you read lots)

The mini is ok. I use it for browsing and streaming. Much prefer the size than a larger iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    darkvader said:
    I can't stand to look at e-ink.  No idea why, but it's instant eyestrain for me.

I don't have problems reading text on a LCD screen (as long as it's not dark mode) and I'm good with actual paper.  But e-ink is just awful.

If you are in a dark environment then e-ink probably isn't going to be that compelling.  But if you are in a well lit environment, or even full sunlight then e-ink is the only game in town.  

I still prefer e-ink when reading books (although I use the larger Kobo reader and not a Kindle).