Big Tech critic Jonathan Kanter to lead DOJ antitrust division

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
The U.S. Senate confirmed noted Big Tech critic and competition lawyer Jonathan Kanter to Assistant Attorney General of the Department of Justice's Antitrust Division, another win for progressives looking to push competition reform.

Jonathan Kanter


Kanter was nominated for the role by President Joe Biden in July, with the Senate confirming the pick in a bipartisan 68-29 vote on Tuesday, reports The Wall Street Journal.

After a start with the Federal Trade Commission, Kanter spent some 20 years representing corporate clients including Microsoft and Yelp, which both lodged anti-competition cases against Google. The search giant currently faces an antirust lawsuit from the Justice Department. Apple is also in the DOJ's crosshairs, and Kanter previously worked for Apple Music competitor Spotify, reports CNBC.

It is unclear if Kanter will recuse himself from ongoing actions against Google, Apple and other firms that pose potential conflicts of interest, though he previously promised to convene with ethics officials if confirmed as the DOJ's antitrust chief. Even if sidelined, Kanter will be able to impact proceedings by appointing deputies who are aligned with his thinking on antitrust matters.

Today's confirmation marks the third major win for progressives eyeing a crackdown on tech industry heavyweights. In March, Big Tech critic Tim Wu was appointed to the National Economic Council, while antitrust scholar Lina Khan, who earned notoriety in calling for tighter industry regulation, was named chair of the Federal Trade Commission in June.

Kanter, Khan and Wu share viewpoints on a number of issues including the need for increased scrutiny of the wider tech sector.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,197member
    "increased scrutiny of the wider tech sector." I'd start with increased scrutiny of members of Congress, actually punishing them for every time they break the law, especially ethics laws. Kanter already is in hot water because he would need to recuse himself because of all his previous dealing. If he doesn't, he should be brought up on ethics charges himself. All of these investigations into the tech sector continue to be attempts to divert public attention from the wider abuse by politicians in general (almost all of them).
    scout690012Strangerslorca2770qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    And how is he legitimately a »big tech critic » when he’s worked for some of the biggest?  He’s  damaged goods. 
    12Strangersrob53lorca2770watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    scout6900 said:
    And how is he legitimately a »big tech critic » when he’s worked for some of the biggest?  He’s  damaged goods. 

    Tom Wheeler served as the head of the NCTA and CTIA before becoming chief of the FCC.

    Many expected him to be be a dingo, loyal to the cartels he previously worked for, but instead, as FCC chief, served in a respectable manner.  The same could not be said of his predecessor, Michael Powell, or his successor, Ajit Pai.

    So, government appointees who are principled, understand their roles, and responsibility to the people, do exist.  They're rare, but do exist.

    Unfortunately, they're more the exception, than the rule, especially in Congress.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rob53 said:
    "increased scrutiny of the wider tech sector." I'd start with increased scrutiny of members of Congress, actually punishing them for every time they break the law, especially ethics laws. Kanter already is in hot water because he would need to recuse himself because of all his previous dealing. If he doesn't, he should be brought up on ethics charges himself. All of these investigations into the tech sector continue to be attempts to divert public attention from the wider abuse by politicians in general (almost all of them).
    Kanter isn't a member of congress or a politician.  And he isn't in hot water at all, he just has potential conflicts of interest that are known, and will require sensitivity.  That's pretty par for the course nowadays.
  • Reply 5 of 11

    Does it mean that all the competition that Apple have to endure, navigate, offset with imagination, create, and more; since left the garage at home, more than 40 years ago, has been illegal and anti competitive? Is USA becoming a socialist state? Who are the Reps, like crying babies, fighting the tech companies? Do they want to destroy the best of USA and handle it to the Chinese? Please, names!

    edited November 2021 qwerty52williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lorca2770 said:

    Does it mean that all the competition that Apple have to endure, navigate, offset with imagination, create, and more; since left the garage at home, more than 40 years ago, has been illegal and anti competitive? Is USA becoming a socialist state? Who are the Reps, like crying babies, fighting the tech companies? Do they want to destroy the best of USA and handle it to the Chinese? Please, names!

    What crying babies do you know that fight tech companies?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    crowley said:
    lorca2770 said:

    Does it mean that all the competition that Apple have to endure, navigate, offset with imagination, create, and more; since left the garage at home, more than 40 years ago, has been illegal and anti competitive? Is USA becoming a socialist state? Who are the Reps, like crying babies, fighting the tech companies? Do they want to destroy the best of USA and handle it to the Chinese? Please, names!

    What crying babies do you know that fight tech companies?

    Most probably, the ones not receiving any money for their lunatic plans 

    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lorca2770 said:
    crowley said:
    lorca2770 said:

    Does it mean that all the competition that Apple have to endure, navigate, offset with imagination, create, and more; since left the garage at home, more than 40 years ago, has been illegal and anti competitive? Is USA becoming a socialist state? Who are the Reps, like crying babies, fighting the tech companies? Do they want to destroy the best of USA and handle it to the Chinese? Please, names!

    What crying babies do you know that fight tech companies?

    Most probably, the ones not receiving any money for their lunatic plans 

    Yeah, that's not what I meant.  Carry on.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    crowley said:
    lorca2770 said:
    crowley said:
    lorca2770 said:

    Does it mean that all the competition that Apple have to endure, navigate, offset with imagination, create, and more; since left the garage at home, more than 40 years ago, has been illegal and anti competitive? Is USA becoming a socialist state? Who are the Reps, like crying babies, fighting the tech companies? Do they want to destroy the best of USA and handle it to the Chinese? Please, names!

    What crying babies do you know that fight tech companies?

    Most probably, the ones not receiving any money for their lunatic plans 

    Yeah, that's not what I meant.  Carry on.
    We know who they are. Sabemos quienes son. Los que hablan con la gente invisible

    edited November 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,197member
    crowley said:
    rob53 said:
    "increased scrutiny of the wider tech sector." I'd start with increased scrutiny of members of Congress, actually punishing them for every time they break the law, especially ethics laws. Kanter already is in hot water because he would need to recuse himself because of all his previous dealing. If he doesn't, he should be brought up on ethics charges himself. All of these investigations into the tech sector continue to be attempts to divert public attention from the wider abuse by politicians in general (almost all of them).
    Kanter isn't a member of congress or a politician.  And he isn't in hot water at all, he just has potential conflicts of interest that are known, and will require sensitivity.  That's pretty par for the course nowadays.
    Ethics aren't only for politicians, they're also for lawyers.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rob53 said:
    crowley said:
    rob53 said:
    "increased scrutiny of the wider tech sector." I'd start with increased scrutiny of members of Congress, actually punishing them for every time they break the law, especially ethics laws. Kanter already is in hot water because he would need to recuse himself because of all his previous dealing. If he doesn't, he should be brought up on ethics charges himself. All of these investigations into the tech sector continue to be attempts to divert public attention from the wider abuse by politicians in general (almost all of them).
    Kanter isn't a member of congress or a politician.  And he isn't in hot water at all, he just has potential conflicts of interest that are known, and will require sensitivity.  That's pretty par for the course nowadays.
    Ethics aren't only for politicians, they're also for lawyers.
    I totally agree, but Kanter hasn't done anything unethical yet, he only just appointed.
Sign In or Register to comment.