Apple catching up with MacBook Pro, iPhone demand, says analysts

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2021
Researchers at investment bank Goldman Sachs report that shipping times for the new 14-inch MacBook Pro, revised 16-inch MacBook Pro, and iPhones, are beginning to shrink.

The new 16-inch MacBook Pro
The new 16-inch MacBook Pro

As seen most keenly with the long delays on shipping for the Apple Watch Series 7, the new MacBook Pro models initially saw protracted wait times at launch. There have also been significant delays on the iPhone 13 Pro, though those don't appear to have put buyers off.

Now according to a Goldman Sachs research note seen by AppleInsider, the shipping times on the iPhone and MacBook Pro are noticeably improving.

"MacBook Pro lead times remain elevated but have been steadily reducing since the launch on 18 October," says the note. "What we do believe from the data is that Apple's supply is gradually catching up to demand for both iPhone and Macs at this point in the cycle."

For the MacBook Pro, Goldman Sachs says that "lead time data for MacBooks in aggregate is down by 4 to 7 days [compared to] last week for most regions."

"Lead times for the [16-inch] models are holding up in Europe vs. last week but were down in other regions," say Goldman Sachs researchers. "We believe this is consistent with an early pulse of demand for these high end laptops from power users who tend to buy early with supply now catching up to demand."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Well, just got an email that my MBP16 was pushed back from a 11/17-24 delivery to 12/14-21, so not sure what this report is talking about shipping times shrinking!
    kdupuis77curiousrun8watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Apple once again showing the rest of the industry how it’s done. Now, could Sony maybe pay attention so I could actually get a friggin’ PS5 before the 6’s come out? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Well, just got an email that my MBP16 was pushed back from a 11/17-24 delivery to 12/14-21, so not sure what this report is talking about shipping times shrinking!
    That's rough, but I assure you she is worth the wait! I was lucky to get mine on release date and I absolutely love this thing! I typically upgrade every 18-24 months and I have to say this is by far and away my favorite Mac notebook since my 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4! They've pretty much "fixed" most of the stupid things they've been doing since 2016. The 2019 16" MBP was a good improvement but this thing takes the cake. Also, it's like traveling with a portable movie theater haha. Hope yours comes ASAP!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    kdupuis77 said:
    That's rough, but I assure you she is worth the wait! I was lucky to get mine on release date and I absolutely love this thing! I typically upgrade every 18-24 months and I have to say this is by far and away my favorite Mac notebook since my 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4! They've pretty much "fixed" most of the stupid things they've been doing since 2016. The 2019 16" MBP was a good improvement but this thing takes the cake. Also, it's like traveling with a portable movie theater haha. Hope yours comes ASAP!
    Yeah, I'm hyped to replace my current i7 MBP. Though honestly, I prefer the current design (saw the new design in person already and while it feels solid, felt heavy/bulkier at the same time). Also have no use for the Magsafe/HDMI/SDcard as I'm always either working on my laptop without anything plugged in, or at my desk where I plug in a couple TB ports for my 2 LG 5K displays.The added ports/charging doesn't change anything for me. It's all about that Apple Silicon! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Me too!

My delivery of the new 16" MacBook Pro has been pushed back from 11/12-17 to 11/26-30. :-(

Can't wait!
    edited November 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Me too!

My delivery of the new 16" MacBook Pro has been pushed back from 11/12-17 to 11/26-30. :-(

Can't wait!
    I was a little late placing my preorder, but what I ended up doing was finding one in stock at a physical Apple store and placed a pick order for the evening of release day and then nixed the online order. Maybe someone near you has one? Its crazy though, I just looked and not a single 14" or 16" MBP in either color in stock at any Apple Store near me (NH/ME) for a 200 mi radius... granted that's only like 8 stores lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    kdupuis77 said:
    Me too!

Can't wait!
    I was a little late placing my preorder, but what I ended up doing was finding one in stock at a physical Apple store and placed a pick order for the evening of release day and then nixed the online order. Maybe someone near you has one? Its crazy though, I just looked and not a single 14" or 16" MBP in either color in stock at any Apple Store near me (NH/ME) for a 200 mi radius... granted that's only like 8 stores lol.
    I've been checking daily for various configs. They don't see to be getting stocked at all (or limiting the few they get to in-person purchases only).
    sportyguy209watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    My order for my MacBook Pro M1 Max with 1 TB SSD and 64 GBs of memory, still says "Arrives Dec 24 - Dec 31" so no ship date shrinking here! I'm hopeful it will ship sooner than that though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    My order for MacBook Pro 14 delivery date was Dec 3-10. Progress bar has moved to preparing to ship. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    JinTech said:
    My order for my MacBook Pro M1 Max with 1 TB SSD and 64 GBs of memory, still says "Arrives Dec 24 - Dec 31" so no ship date shrinking here! I'm hopeful it will ship sooner than that though.
    When did you order? Mine was put in 10/19. Surprised it’s going to take 2 months.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Well, another update with a tracking number and delivery shows this coming Monday. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    JinTech said:
    When did you order? Mine was put in 10/19. Surprised it’s going to take 2 months.
    Not until 11/08 but yeah two months is rough. I'm hoping mine will ship sooner once all the initial orders start going out.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Wow! My order will be delivered today. From 11/30 to 11/22, this is as fast as the new MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    No, they really aren't. An almost fully loaded MBP M1 Max 16" is showing a delivery date of January 19th- February 1st.  Over 2 months.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    My MacBook Pro 14" originally scheduled between Dec 3-10, was delivered yesterday.