Apple's 'iPhone 14' and AR headset to sport Wi-Fi 6E, says Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited November 2021
Apple plans to adopt the next-generation Wi-Fi 6E protocol in its next flagship iPhone and an as-yet-unannounced head-mounted display, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone 13

In a note to investors this week, Kuo predicts Apple to integrate Wi-Fi 6E in a so-called "iPhone 14" expected to debut in 2022. The analyst previously tapped the speedy wireless connectivity protocol for inclusion in a rumored AR headset that could see introduction late next year.

"We also believe that both the iPhone 14 and Apple head-mounted displays are equipped with Wi-Fi 6E, which is expected to drive more competitors' products to adopt Wi-Fi 6E," Kuo writes (machine translated).

Apple's current device lineup, like the iPhone 13 series and iPad Pro, integrates 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6. The iPhone 13 and 13 Pro, for example, feature 2x2 MIMO capabilities for faster throughput.

Though its name denotes only a slight variation to the the Wi-Fi protocol, Wi-Fi 6E promises to greatly increase potential bandwidth for supported gateways and endpoints. As Kuo notes, Wi-Fi 6E supports two or three times more channels that Wi-Fi 6, depending on hardware configuration. If Apple chooses to roll out 3x3 or 4x4 MIMO designs in "iPhone 14," it could cause a supply crunch for the wider industry.

As Kuo explains, each channel in a Wi-Fi 6E setup requires two to four LTCC (Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramics) chips, meaning the overall tally could be 10 to 20 times more than existing Wi-Fi 6 designs. Further, Apple's adoption of Wi-Fi 6E is expected to drive demand for LTCC substrates as the industry chases iPhone.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    So, how will this make my (or my family's) life better?
    mike1
  • Reply 2 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Since the iPhone 14 hasn't been announced yet you'll have to wait to see if Apple have anything in particular in mind.  Even then, that's for you and your family to figure out.  What use can you make of increased wireless bandwidth?  Maybe none.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Probably won't. Might help in a corporate environment with dozens or more users in a small area sharing the same network. Most people are not going to pay their ISP for extra bandwidth/speed and upgrade their wireless equipment if what they have works fine.
    twokatmewbaconstangGeorgeBMacdewme
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crowley said:
    Since the iPhone 14 hasn't been announced yet you'll have to wait to see if Apple have anything in particular in mind.  Even then, that's for you and your family to figure out.  What use can you make of increased wireless bandwidth?  Maybe none.
    I would assume it's pertinent to their planned AR/VR hardware bandwidth requirements. Google says thank you for pushing 6e, because it's not an accepted industry requirement until Apple says it is.  Potential bonus for Apple? For "best AR performance" a new iPhone 14 will be required. Hardware sales baby....
    edited November 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Welcome news. Almost all router companies support WiFi 6E in their routers, so obvious that next gen iPhone, laptops,tablets include it. WiFi 6 and 6E targeted to help lower WiFi traffic congestion at public places like airport, conferences, enterprise network and apartment complexes,etc. So, if you happen to have a need to operate your device in such environment than good to have such capability.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 11
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    wood1208 said:
    Welcome news. Almost all router companies support WiFi 6E in their routers,
    Actually 6E is just coming to routers and they are very $$$$. 6E gives access to the 6GHZ spectrum and does not up the speed of wifi 6, though you will see speed increase in areas were there is a lot of 2.4/5ghz congestion. This is not the new version of Wigig (802.11ay) which runs in the 60ghz spectrum and is crazy fast 20–40Gbit/s per stream, 4 streams can be bonded for a max of 176Gbit/s but needs line of sight. That's used for video casting and VR transmission from computer to HMD but does not have much adoption yet.
    edited November 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I guess I'll just make do with my iPhone 12 mini and 650Mbs from my Comcast router...
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    peteo said:
    wood1208 said:
    Actually 6E is just coming to routers and they are very $$$$. 6E gives access to the 6GHZ spectrum and does not up the speed of wifi 6, though you will see speed increase in areas were there is a lot of 2.4/5ghz congestion. This is not the new version of Wigig (802.11ay) which runs in the 60ghz spectrum and is crazy fast 20–40Gbit/s per stream, 4 streams can be bonded for a max of 176Gbit/s but needs line of sight. That's used for video casting and VR transmission from computer to HMD but does not have much adoption yet.

Currently WiFi 6E routers are bit expensive but like any tech, price comes down as adoption increases. WiFi 6 provides additional data streams and 6E offers dedicated spectrum with extra data channels.When you reduce communication congestion, indirectly increases the speed for the end user.
    gatorguyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wood1208 said:
    peteo said:
    wood1208 said:

Currently WiFi 6E routers are bit expensive but like any tech, price comes down as adoption increases. WiFi 6 provides additional data streams and 6E offers dedicated spectrum with extra data channels.When you reduce communication congestion, indirectly increases the speed for the end user.

So, it's a bit like millimeter wave 5G:   currently it mostly benefits corporations while, eventually, personal needs (via automated homes and such) will grow to benefit from it as well.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Newer wireless communications technologies almost always provide improvements in alleviating congestion and reducing latency. With smaller nodes, the chips themselves provide advantages in performance-per-watt. There's also the notion of increased spectrum efficiency. This is why cellular carriers are now aggressively sunsetting older cellular technologies. There's a finite amount of spectrum and the newer communications protocols are more efficient and handle more capacity.

Think about 2005. How many wireless devices were connected to a given WAP? Remember, this is two years before the iPhone's debut.

Now think about your house today. How many wireless devices connect to your wifi router? And you're more likely to be streaming 1080p video (or even 4K) rather than some miniscule 15 fps dithered GIF.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mpantone said:
    Newer wireless communications technologies almost always provide improvements in alleviating congestion and reducing latency. With smaller nodes, the chips themselves provide advantages in performance-per-watt. There's also the notion of increased spectrum efficiency. This is why cellular carriers are now aggressively sunsetting older cellular technologies. There's a finite amount of spectrum and the newer communications protocols are more efficient and handle more capacity.

Think about 2005. How many wireless devices were connected to a given WAP? Remember, this is two years before the iPhone's debut.

Now think about your house today. How many wireless devices connect to your wifi router? And you're more likely to be streaming 1080p video (or even 4K) rather than some miniscule 15 fps dithered GIF.

I fully agree.
    Like a wise boss of mine said:  "The amount of work always rises to fill the time available".  Likewise, the uses of technology (eventually) rise to meet its abilities -- and that is particularly true of communications technologies that are used as foundations for other technologies.  I know people who love their iPhone but have no concept of the multiple communication technologies that make most of its functions possible..