Apple employees to return to in-office work in February 2022

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has told its corporate employees that they should expect to return to in-office work by Feb. 1, 2022, according to an internal company memo.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

In a memo penned by Apple CEO Tim Cook and sent to staffers Thursday, Apple plans to have corporate workers return to a hybrid work model that would see staff work at Apple campuses and offices for one or two days a week.

After the initial hybrid work model adoption in February, Apple employees will be expected to work in-office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays while working from home on Wednesdays and Fridays, according to The Information, which obtained the memo.

Additionally, Apple says that it plans to allow employees to work remotely for up to one month per year to provide "more opportunity to travel, be closer to your loved ones, or simply shake up your routines." That's longer than the two-week remote work option announced earlier in 2021.

According to the memo, the hybrid work model will not apply to departments and teams that have a "greater need to work in-person."

Apple has been planning a return to in-person work for months now, but has had to delay the plan because of coronavirus conditions.

Some Apple employees have pushed for permanent flexible or remote work options. Apple, however, appears unswayed by those requests.

"We believe that in-person collaboration is essential to our culture and our future. If we take a moment to reflect on our unbelievable product launches this past year, the products and the launch execution were built upon the base of years of work that we did when we were all together in-person," said Apple's retail and people chief Deirdre O'Brien earlier in 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Honestly, this seems fair.
    libertykrspscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Glad I don’t have to work there. I’m lucky that I’ve been WFH (tech job) for nearly two years now, and don’t have to return to the old fashioned ways. Offices (for tech work) are so yesterday.
    williamlondonravnorodomcuriousrun8
  • Reply 3 of 7
    How so?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder what the rationale for Monday, Tuesday and Thursday is.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Glad I don’t have to work there. I’m lucky that I’ve been WFH (tech job) for nearly two years now, and don’t have to return to the old fashioned ways. Offices (for tech work) are so yesterday.
    I too am in IT, and I worked the same timespan from home as you.  Everyone handles it differently, and some are honestly not cut out for it.
    At my new employer, I am back at work five days a week (with our own offices), and realized how important face-to-face collaboration was, and how I had missed it greatly.
    I think Apple is being pretty reasonable here.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I too am in IT, and I worked the same timespan from home as you.  Everyone handles it differently, and some are honestly not cut out for it.
    At my new employer, I am back at work five days a week (with our own offices), and realized how important face-to-face collaboration was, and how I had missed it greatly.
    I think Apple is being pretty reasonable here.
    Exactly right. It's very company, department, and type of work dependent. I've appreciated 2 years of WFH, but I'm not going to whine too much about going into the office 1 day a week in starting in January.  Actually, I probably will since my commute sucks, but oh well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    How so?
    How is it not? People can't continue to kick the can down the road and demand they be able to work from home just because they want to continue being able to do the dishes, finish their laundry, etc while they "work". If you don't like it, then go find a place that lets you do that. For every 1 person that leaves Apple there are 500 waiting to be accepted. 

You cannot collaborate nearly as well being remote versus in the office. Yes, there are technologies such as MS Teams, FaceTime, WebEx, etc but that doesn't solve everything. It's just the thing where you can turn around at your desk and quickly discuss something, or pull someone into a huddle room, or even discuss something quickly over lunch, even if you didn't intend to. Apple specifically built a $6 Billion campus just for this very thing. If I remember correctly, its design was specifically focused on collaboration. 

Where I work we were no where near being as efficient at home versus working in the office and we do similar things to Apple where we have ideas, develop a prototype, get the project approved with funding, finish the design, work with contractors if necessary, start to build, announce and start to advertise what we're doing when appropriate, and then release the product on the said date. We don't make tech stuff like Apple does, but the structure is the same for getting a product out the door to customers. 
    edited November 2021 tht