16-inch MacBook Pro users reporting MagSafe issues, clamshell mode problems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2021
For some users, the new 16-inch MacBook Pro does not always charge when completely shut down, and others are dealing with external monitors not waking correctly in clamshell mode.

MagSafe charging on a MacBook Pro
MagSafe charging on a MacBook Pro

Some users of the revised 16-inch MacBook Pro have been reporting hardware issues concerning MagSafe charging, and using external monitors.

Initially reported on Reddit, the first account included a video showing what happens when user "Trillionaire" is attempting to charge. With the M1 Max MacBook Pro completely shut down, the MagSafe charging connector flashes orange to indicate that it is not charging correctly.

According to "Trillionaire," Apple support staff are investigating, and say that "Apple is aware of the issue." Apple support recommends that users:

1. Charge the MacBook Pro while in sleep mode

2. Charge the MacBook Pro with the lid open

3. Attach the MagSafe cable, before shutting down the MacBook Pro

The issue does not seem to apply to charging over USB-C, according to the thread.

Separately, users on Apple's support forums have reported issues with using external monitors. Some issues concern use of external monitors on any Mac under macOS Monterey, but others specify that it is the new MacBook Pro that's having problems.

Typically in these cases, what is reported is that external monitors are not reliably waking up after a MacBook Pro lid is opened and closed. AppleInsider has not been able to reproduce either issue, and it is not yet known how widespread the problems are.

As with other similar issues, we recommend starting a support case with Apple, should the problems manifest locally. This not only protects the user should the problem be more serious than originally though, it also provides Apple with additional data points to triage accordingly, and to solve the issue.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I get the external monitor issue. 
    If I use my macbook pro m1 with a 49" widescreen. It works fine, but if I walk away from my desk and come back in a bit.
    I can't wake up the screen using my wireless apple keyboard. Monitor connected via USB-C. 

I need to unplug the USB-C cable and then plug it back in for the monitor to work. Also think the laptop needs to be a sleep for the disconnect to happen / be a sleep for a certain amount of time.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Yep, I'm having the display issue, though intermittently, with a monitor connected via DP through a TB3 dock.  Not a major problem, but annoying, and the intermittent-ness actually makes it more annoying.

Haven't noticed the charging issue, though I charge mainly through the dock anyway, and I guess the issue is only with MagSafe?

Apple were pretty quick about fixing the Safari lockup issue, so hopefully they'll have a fix soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Is this specific to the 16-inch model? or are users also experiencing similar issues with the 14-inch version?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    This isn’t new (at least for me.) I’ve been having the monitor issue with my 2016 MBP for some time. Half the time when I plug it in to the dock it works fine, half the time it doesn’t and I have to unplug the monitor and plug it back in. I also routinely have issues with the BT ‘magic’ mouse not connecting and the BT keyboard hesitating then repeating keys unless I physically plug it in.

Seems like both of the issues reported in this story are likely software issues rather than hardware and should be fixable with an OS update.
    mrstepshareef777
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    MplsP said:
    This isn’t new (at least for me.) I’ve been having the monitor issue with my 2016 MBP for some time. Half the time when I plug it in to the dock it works fine, half the time it doesn’t and I have to unplug the monitor and plug it back in. I also routinely have issues with the BT ‘magic’ mouse not connecting and the BT keyboard hesitating then repeating keys unless I physically plug it in.

Seems like both of the issues reported in this story are likely software issues rather than hardware and should be fixable with an OS update.
    Agreed, I had to disable sleep on my old 2011 Mac Pro because it wouldn't turn the monitor back on consistently (it ran flawlessly for 8 years straight, probably rebooted less than 5 times other than OS updates) , and I also had to disable sleep (could let the screen sleep, mind you, but not the machine) on my 2019 16" MBP as well.  That was with an old Apple 30" monitor, a AOC 4K, and an LG USB-C 4K over the years - just always inconsistent wake behavior.  With both machines, I usually had to reboot them to get them to see the monitor again - awkward on the tower since I had to hard-power off.  Hardware or software, it's probably not actually a new issue.

On the bright side, the M1 machines should at least not use much power if they need to not be allowed to sleep. 🤷‍♂️
  • Reply 6 of 20
    MplsP said:

Yep, first year and a half of owning my 2016 MBP was an absolute nightmare. Had two LG 5K displays connected to it and was constant crashes. Had the laptop replaced twice with the same issue. Eventual OS updates got it stabilized. Luckily I'm still using the same LG 5K displays on my 2021MBP and therefore don't need MagSafe. Operating in clamshell mode everything works great (machine is blazing fast). Only issue I've experienced is that the position of my two external monitors get reversed and I have to reset them in Display Preferences.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 20
    omasouomasou Posts: 573member
    I have my 2021 MBP connected to 2 LG 5K monitors and it seems to be working fine.

MagSafe cable still in box w/the brick.

May test, just to confirm I don't have these issues.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I’ve got the MagSafe issue. To be fair it’s all part and parcel of a new Mac Design. It shouldn’t be, but the old “it just works” stopped being the case years ago.
    williamlondonurahara
  • Reply 9 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    joemailey said:
    I get the external monitor issue. 
    If I use my macbook pro m1 with a 49" widescreen. It works fine, but if I walk away from my desk and come back in a bit.
    I can't wake up the screen using my wireless apple keyboard. Monitor connected via USB-C. 

I need to unplug the USB-C cable and then plug it back in for the monitor to work. Also think the laptop needs to be a sleep for the disconnect to happen / be a sleep for a certain amount of time.
    Some monitors have their own sleep timers that can be disabled in the monitor's menu settings:

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/S2716DG-Wake-Up-Issue-Disable-Monitor-Deep-Sleep/td-p/4688915
    williamlondontenthousandthingsfirelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    saarek said:
    I’ve got the MagSafe issue. To be fair it’s all part and parcel of a new Mac Design. It shouldn’t be, but the old “it just works” stopped being the case years ago.
    I had the charging issue I resolved it by turning off the Optimize battery charging in settings 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    My MagSafe connector glows orange all the time, even though the battery is fully charged.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    crowley said:
    Apple were pretty quick about fixing the Safari lockup issue, so hopefully they'll have a fix soon.
    So all the Safari-related issues that I've been reading about (sluggish performance, kernel panics, etc.) have been addressed in a Monterey update?  When I Google the issue, I am not seeing info about which version of Monterey fixes which Safari issues on the 2021 16" M1 Pro/Max MBPs.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I had the MagSafe issue on my M1  16 “ Pro with 16 gb.  Apple Care replaced the MacBook with a new computer.  The new one they gave me has the same MagSafe issue.  Every time I shut the Mac down and close the cover, the yellow light keeps blinking with an associated No charge noise.

I open the cover and it starts charging correctly.  Guess I will have to live with it.  I have the newest updates.  

Originally l had the 14” M1 Pro with 16gb but decided to return it.  It had no MagSafe issues.

• Reply 14 of 20
    saarek said:

To stop the peeping.  On my M1 Mac book Pro, when shutting down wait till the key board lights go out before closing. If you don't I think it goes into sleep mode.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I have several issues with a dell 27in monitor on the 14in pro 🙁
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jdw said:
    crowley said:
    So all the Safari-related issues that I've been reading about (sluggish performance, kernel panics, etc.) have been addressed in a Monterey update?  When I Google the issue, I am not seeing info about which version of Monterey fixes which Safari issues on the 2021 16" M1 Pro/Max MBPs.
    It's not completely fixed, I'm still seeing some issues with media playback, but it got a lot better in 12.0.1.  

To date there have only been two versions of Monterey.
    jdw
  • Reply 17 of 20
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    At least the charging issue will be fixable with an update. I've never had good luck with external monitors using Apple laptops, though.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    crowley said:
    It's not completely fixed, I'm still seeing some issues with media playback, but it got a lot better in 12.0.1.  
    Thank you for the info!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    ...an article for consideration for those who acquiesce to onboard ram and storage...

bartechtv.com/m1-mac-ssd-wear-probably-a-far-bigger-problem-than-it-appears/

"It’s been a couple of months now since reports began to appear of M1 Mac users experiencing excessive SSD usage. In the worst cases, users had already reached 10% of the rated endurance capacity of their drive within 2 months"

"
    I could expect my M1 MacBook to pass that (EOL) threshold after exactly 1 year at current usage"
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 20
    My 2021 16” M1 MBPro Max’s MagSafe developed a different issue within its first few weeks: the cable itself stopped working, with the top open or closed. The cable, not the brick the cable plugs into. Substitute a USB-C cable, and charging resumes. 
    williamlondon