Apple AR headset, new Mac Pro and more expected in 2022

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    If any iteration of the new Apple Silicon Mac Pro has slots, is it even remotely feasible that either Apple or a third party could create an X86 card reminiscent of the CP/M card we used in the Apple][s?
  • Reply 22 of 22
    MacPro said:
    If any iteration of the new Apple Silicon Mac Pro has slots, is it even remotely feasible that either Apple or a third party could create an X86 card reminiscent of the CP/M card we used in the Apple][s?
    Or the 386 (I think) card that came in one of the LC models in the 90's. Nice idea.

There have been some vague rumors about one more intel Mac Pro before or alongside an ASi one, and so maybe those rumors are actually about something like an ASi Mac Pro with an X86 card in it...?  But I suspect not. Apple is a very different company now to the one in the 90's, and the 70's, and I don't think today's Apple is interested in anything like this.  But who knows.

That said, I suppose there's no reason a third party couldn't do it, unless Apple Pro-actively locks us out of that option somehow.

I wonder if it might ever be possible to create X86 cards that connect to ASi Macs without slots (eg. MBPs) via Thunderbolt 4 (similar to eGPU, but CPU etc. instead of GPU).  I for one would never want to bother booting the Mac from them, but if it could allow virtualizing X86 Windows (the way Parallels and VMWare do today on Intel Macs) that could solve some problems.  That's probably a pretty big stretch though.