Apple releases AirPods firmware 4.2 update for all models

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2021
New AirPods firmware version 4.2 is now available for every AirPods model with no known changes beyond bug fixes and reliability updates.

AirPods firmware 4C165 available for all models
AirPods firmware 4C165 available for all models

Apple doesn't provide release notes for AirPods firmware, so the exact changes in the update are unknown. An earlier update brought support for Conversation Boost for the AirPods Pro.

Previously, the AirPods Pro had firmware version 4.0 (4A402), a slight change from the previous 4A400 build. Third-generation AirPods had version 4.1 4B66. The new update is version 4.2 with build number 4C165 for every AirPods model including the AirPods (second-generation), AirPods (third-generation), AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max.

The new firmware is installed automatically for users, with no mechanism available to manually force an update. As long as AirPods or AirPods Pro are in a charging case and connected to an iOS device, the firmware will install by itself.

How to check your AirPods firmware version

AirPods users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories within the Settings app.

1. Open the Settings App

2. Select General

3. Select About

4. Select the AirPods you wish to view

5. A menu will appear showing relevant device information

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Cue the inevitable cries: “How do I upgrade my AirPods? Why isn’t it working for me?”
    edited December 2021 StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 11
    and again Beats Pro Wireless gets nothing.......only 1 update since they were released.....
    edited December 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    and again Beats Pro Wireless gets nothing.......only 1 update since they were released.....
    Are there outstanding issues pending defect resolution?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 11
    My AirPods Pro just updated to "4C165". Wireless Case remained at 1.3.5.
    twokatmew
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Apple really needs to come up with a cleaner and more intuitive way to manage AirPods from other devices, especially iPhone and iPad. Having some AirPods UI under Bluetooth settings and some under General settings seems like a shoehorn approach that was given 5 minutes or less of UX consideration. 
    twokatmew80s_Apple_Guywilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Instructions in the article are wrong. What shoddy “journalism”. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dewme said:
    Apple really needs to come up with a cleaner and more intuitive way to manage AirPods from other devices, especially iPhone and iPad. Having some AirPods UI under Bluetooth settings and some under General settings seems like a shoehorn approach that was given 5 minutes or less of UX consideration. 
    Couldn’t agree more…and don’t forget the Accessibility settings. Your post reminded me of this article I read the other day (link below) calling for a dedicated AirPods App to consolidate all these settings together like the Watch App does. It’s time. 

edited December 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 11
    >As long as AirPods or AirPods Pro are in a charging case and connected to an iOS device, the firmware will install by itself.

How long do you need the case opened for? If you close it it disconnects of course.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 11
    michelb76 said:
    >As long as AirPods or AirPods Pro are in a charging case and connected to an iOS device, the firmware will install by itself.

How long do you need the case opened for? If you close it it disconnects of course.

Mine updated overnight, the case wasn't open just connected to a charging cable.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 11
    michelb76 said:

You don't need to keep it open. The best approach is not to try to manage it. It will update and then life may continue. 
    michelb76williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Does this include the very first generation of AirPods? They seem to have been forgotten for any updates, for quite a long time now. 
    williamlondon