Firefox 95 for Mac improves security, reduces power consumption

Posted:
in Mac Software edited December 2021
Mozilla has released a new version of Firefox for Mac that it says has cut down on the browser's CPU and power usage, plus added new security technology.

Firefox
Firefox

A month after it revamped its visual design in Firefox 94, Mozilla has released Firefox 95 and concentrated on improving usability under the hood.

"We've reduced CPU usage on macOS in Firefox and WindowServer during event processing," says the company, in a blog post. "We've also reduced the power usage of software decoded video on macOS, especially in fullscreen. This includes streaming sites such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video."

Mozilla also says that users will "see a faster content process startup on macOS," and that it has improved page load performance. The existing Picture-in-Picture option has also been improved and users can move the control "to the opposite side of the video."

Firefox 95 is also about adding security. The major update is the inclusion of RLBox on all Firefox platforms. Mozilla describes this as "a new technology that hardens Firefox against potential vulnerabilities in third-party libraries."

The new version can be downloaded from the official site, where there are also detailed release notes.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    In a Chrome and Safari dominated industry, I really appreciate Firefox. I hope they'll be able to regain some market share and balance things out a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I would normally be in here defending Safari but version 15 (I’m on 15.2 beta for Catalina) has been very glitchy for me personally. One of the online newspapers I subscribe to freezes a lot on certain pages. Neither Firefox nor Edge freeze on those pages. One of my banking sites refuses to print check images with Safari, I get a blank page inserted of an image. Firefox and Edge print those images without issues. The Mac Rumors website main page goes wonky sometimes, refusing to display the page properly. Firefox and Edge don’t have that issue. Things start to add up after awhile.

I still use Safari for 98% of my browsing but Firefox is my goto when problems with Safari arise. Some say it’s because many developers still don’t test and code for Safari but Safari has a lot of presence on the web because of macOS and iOS so I doubt that’s a reason.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mike54 said:
    Firefox is my main browser on Linux, Mac and Windows. I do not want to contribute to a Google dominated browser. That being said, had to use Google Chromium for YouTube because the previous version of Firefox has some problems (mostly on Linux). So far this Firefox 95 is working fine with YouTube for me.
    I don't follow this.  Boycott Google's browser but support Google's video sharing platform?  Do you "Google" things you want to find?  
    rotateleftbyte
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ITGUYINSD said:
    mike54 said:
    Firefox is my main browser on Linux, Mac and Windows. I do not want to contribute to a Google dominated browser. That being said, had to use Google Chromium for YouTube because the previous version of Firefox has some problems (mostly on Linux). So far this Firefox 95 is working fine with YouTube for me.
    I don't follow this.  Boycott Google's browser but support Google's video sharing platform?  Do you "Google" things you want to find?  
    I watch YouTube but :-1: 
    I don't log in. Pointless really as I've never had any form of account on a google owned service.
    It is done on a totally sandboxed VM that is restored every 2-3 days.
    All internet access is via a VPN that makes me appear as being in Warsaw, Poland.
    On my home network, google.com is blocked by my firewall.
    My default search engine is duckduckgo.

If you care about your own security on the internet then you have to spend some time working on it.
    Be vigilant, Be safe.

williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,521member
    Firefox is my go-to browser on all platforms. I still use Safari on occasion but it’s gotten so bug ridden that I can barely stand it any more. The iCloud syncing is terribly broken especially when it comes to the Recently accessed sites. No two instances of Safari on any two platforms show the same Recently accessed content. The toggles to select starting page content have little effect and seem to work in a random fashion. 

I won’t even get into the nightmare that is Safari’s bookmarks and reading list lists. For no logical reason Safari will dump hundreds of bookmarks that I deleted months ago into the bookmarks toolbar and/or menu. WTF. 

Then there’s the garbled fonts. Safari is a total mess. 

Firefox on the other hand behaves exactly as expected on everything from my iMac to Raspberry Pi, and everything in between. 
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 6 of 8
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,266member
    lkrupp said:
    I would normally be in here defending Safari but version 15 (I’m on 15.2 beta for Catalina) has been very glitchy for me personally. One of the online newspapers I subscribe to freezes a lot on certain pages. Neither Firefox nor Edge freeze on those pages. One of my banking sites refuses to print check images with Safari, I get a blank page inserted of an image. Firefox and Edge print those images without issues. The Mac Rumors website main page goes wonky sometimes, refusing to display the page properly. Firefox and Edge don’t have that issue. Things start to add up after awhile.

I still use Safari for 98% of my browsing but Firefox is my goto when problems with Safari arise. Some say it’s because many developers still don’t test and code for Safari but Safari has a lot of presence on the web because of macOS and iOS so I doubt that’s a reason.
    I’ve seen issues with Safari but I believe most are because of poor website design and too many redirects, pop ups and advertising. Might also try DuckDuckGo’s iOS browser to see if it works better with all the garbage on the web. 
    williamlondonRonnyDaddy
  • Reply 7 of 8
    rotateleftbyte said:

All internet access is via a VPN that makes me appear as being in Warsaw, Poland.
    I live in Poland and use a VPN to access the internet through Canada because I don't trust the Polish government at all. I used to use the Netherlands but stupid web sites (including Apple) kept delivering content in Dutch. With Canada, at least it appears in English.

I don't understand why anyone builds a web site which assumes your internet address location determines what language you speak instead of the primary language in the Accept-Language header from the request. It would be nice if web developers could believe that users actually know what they are doing rather than thinking they are smarter than everyone else because they can look up your location in a database of web addresses. 

Maybe this behaviour is an example of companies bowing to the requests of governments to deliver specific content to their subjects (which I consider very bad practice).