WhatsApp immediately crashing upon opening for many iPhone users

Posted:
in iPhone
WhatsApp users across the globe are reporting that the app now crashes upon opening, preventing users from responding to messages or accessing contact lists.

The problem has been reported to occur on WhatsApp, WhatsApp Business, and even the WhatsApp beta available through TestFlight

Many users have reported the issue on Twitter, and Downdetector now shows a significant increase in users self-reporting problems with the app.

Initially, users suspected that the problem was related to Tuesday's iOS 15.2 update, but many users have reported the issue occurring on older versions of the operating system as well.

crash isn't specific to iOS 15.2. I'm still on 15.1.1 and it's crashing here too

-- Vald (@_gfred)

AppleInsider could not reproduce the crash upon opening and can currently access the current version of WhatsApp on iOS 15.2, suggesting that the issue may be related to Facebook's servers, rather than the app itself.

Image Credit: Downdetector
Image Credit: Downdetector

WhatsApp has not acknowledged the issue at this time.

Read on AppleInsider
williamlondon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    So is Research app, the one that allows you to participate in medical research studies via your iPhone and one AppleWatch. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It’s likely an iOS/iPadOS issue abs not actually crashing, rather iOS devices to terminate the app for doing something in the background and iOS doesn’t approve and decides to shut it down. We’ve been fighting this with iOS 15 for a while.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Everything good here on iOS 15.2  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Feature not a bug.
    badmonkkdupuis77watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    The Amazon Alexa app has been doing something similar on iOS and iPadOS for a while now. The first time I launch the app it immediately closes and goes into the background. It looks like a crash but it can be opened from the list of background apps. If I terminate it completely and relaunch from scratch a second time it opens correctly in the foreground. There’s always something off with new versions of software.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dewme said:
    The Amazon Alexa app has been doing something similar on iOS and iPadOS for a while now. The first time I launch the app it immediately closes and goes into the background. It looks like a crash but it can be opened from the list of background apps. If I terminate it completely and relaunch from scratch a second time it opens correctly in the foreground. There’s always something off with new versions of software.
    There is no such thing (list of background apps).  I suspect the list you are referring to is the recently opened/used apps, and that's why the Amazon Alexa app appears there - it was recently opened (or attempted to open).  

The apps in that list are not running in the background.
    watto_cobra