AirTag anti-stalking feature prevents theft of Dodge Charger

Posted:
in General Discussion
The owner of a Dodge Charger discovered an AirTag was hidden in the vehicle, in what could have been an attempt by thieves to track the car to steal it.

AirTag is a handy tool for recovering lost property, but due to the potential for harm, Apple included features to prevent it from being used to stalk people. In a news report, it appears that one was used in Michigan in what could've turned into a potential theft.

John Nelson acquired a 2018 392 Scat Pack Charger in early December. After a trip to the Great Lakes Crossing shopping center in Auburn Hills and a visit to a friend's house, he was notified to the presence of an unknown AirTag.

"I was able to click on that notification and it gave me an option to have the AirTag emit a sound, and I heard it underneath my vehicle," he told Fox2 Detroit. The AirTag was discovered hidden behind a drain cap under the trunk.

When asked what he thought thieves would have done with the car if it was stolen, Nelson offered "Scrap for parts, that's the biggest thing in Detroit right now."

Nelson has since reported to the police the incident and handed over the tracker. Apple is clear that it will cooperate with law enforcement in identifying the owner of a planted AirTag.

The notification Nelson received was almost certainly the anti-stalking warnings that appear if an AirTag not belonging to a person is moving with them. On the discovery of an AirTag being used to track you, Apple's official advice is to "contact your local law enforcement" with the serial number.

While the notification was previously just viewable on iPhones, Apple released the Tracker Detect app on December 13, providing Android users with the ability to search for active trackers on the Find My network, among other options.

The report isn't the first concerning using AirTag for car thefts, with police in Canada warning of their use by thieves in December. A man in Austin, Texas also found an AirTag hidden in a vehicle shortly after purchasing it.

There have also been reports of AirTags being used to track down a stolen car and an e-scooter.

Despite being used by thieves in these situations, the anti-stalking feature is showing AirTag is functioning as designed. Also, AirTag is the only tracker of its type that provides such measures. Tile is expected to roll out a similar feature in 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Another very plausible scenario for the Air Tag use that I've seen on the web: used car dealers (not thieves) are placing them on the car in case a repossession is necessary.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I'm a huge fan of AirTags.  I purchased a 4-pack for myself and as I travel often, it saved my backside during a layover.  I place air tags in all my travel luggage and during an international layover where I had to collect my luggage for the next plane, one was missing.  My friends saw me using my iPhone to track it and within minutes determined it was sent on an earlier flight and was waiting at a separate area.  My friends (also iPhone owners) never heard of it and once seen in action, they all want AirTags now too.

Twice it came handy for me.  The reduction in stress when locating lost items is such a boon.  

I bought a four-pack as a gift.  They're gonna love it. :)
    ronncaladanianwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    As a "journalistic" outlet why are you assuming why the AirTag was placed? Maybe the persons significant other thought they was cheating and wanted to try to catch them? Maybe his buddies was planning a surprise event and needed to be alerted if he neared. Sure a thief is also plausible however you made it fact without the proof it was a thief. 

Perhaps if the Charger involved was "only" a 5.7 liter R/T or, god forbid, a V6 model the undeniable certainty of nefarious intent would not have been assumed. We're talking Scat Pack too! Who would NOT want to steal a Mopar packed with scat? I'm surprised there weren't multiple tags planted on the car.

The excessive detail in this story truly made me laugh. I'm surprised there was no mention of whether the car had WeatherTech floor mats and a like-new air freshener.
    mknelsondarkvaderwatto_cobrajony0euphorbiacjcs2305
  • Reply 4 of 15
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Another very plausible scenario for the Air Tag use that I've seen on the web: used car dealers (not thieves) are placing them on the car in case a repossession is necessary.
    That would be ineffective. The short time frame before the anti-stalking feature kicks in means the purchaser will be alerted about the tracker long before the first payment is due. The tracker would be gone long before repossession is even a consideration. 
    StrangeDaysdarkvaderronntwokatmewwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 15
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    The linked article says the car's new owner was pinged and notified about the AirTag only two days after he bought it. Seems like the first thought should be that the pervious owner might have installed it for mundane purposes and forgot to remove it. 
    ronnGeorgeBMacwatto_cobraeuphorbiac
  • Reply 7 of 15
    As a "journalistic" outlet why are you assuming why the AirTag was placed? Maybe the persons significant other thought they was cheating and wanted to try to catch them? Maybe his buddies was planning a surprise event and needed to be alerted if he neared. Sure a thief is also plausible however you made it fact without the proof it was a thief. 
    I think in the first sentence the journalist made it clear that this may have been an attempt at theft and not said for certain that it was. 
     “ The owner of a Dodge Charger discovered an AirTag was hidden in the vehicle, in what could have been an attempt by thieves to track the car to steal it.”
    Also, with the driver going as far as to report it to the police and turn the air tag over to them, surely he would’ve eliminated the possibility of it being a girlfriend keeping tabs on him. 
    There have been a number of these, theft by AirTag tracking, cases that have been reported lately, too. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Makes you want to drive it out to a lonely spot in the desert, as if hiking, and put a remote controlled bomb inside. Film from drone. Punked!
    edited December 2021 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    AppleZulu said:
    That would be ineffective. The short time frame before the anti-stalking feature kicks in means the purchaser will be alerted about the tracker long before the first payment is due. The tracker would be gone long before repossession is even a consideration. 
    And yet all the cars mentioned in the story were recent used purchases. Hmmm....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    He should have left it on so they could catch the thieves!

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraDerangedChef
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Well, now one big purpose of an air tag is defeated. While the anti-stalking features seem necessary, a user now cannot protect items from theft anymore efficiently. If I put an air tag in my car to try finding it if someone stole my car, the thief will now also conveniently get a warning from Apple that they are traveling with an unknown Airtag (in the stolen car).
    And with the other new stipuations that Apple added, you cannot leave your own Airtag unattended for too long as it might start beeping after 8+hours... see here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/apple-airtag-showing-up-crimes-rcna9416

So what is left is basically the function to locate lost items in proximity.

Technology is blind to the intention of "security", can be legit or nefarious reasons.

euphorbiac
  • Reply 12 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    AppleZulu said:
    The linked article says the car's new owner was pinged and notified about the AirTag only two days after he bought it. Seems like the first thought should be that the pervious owner might have installed it for mundane purposes and forgot to remove it. 
    Well that wouldn't make for much of a story, now would it? 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Well, now one big purpose of an air tag is defeated. While the anti-stalking features seem necessary, a user now cannot protect items from theft anymore efficiently. If I put an air tag in my car to try finding it if someone stole my car, the thief will now also conveniently get a warning from Apple that they are traveling with an unknown Airtag (in the stolen car).
    And with the other new stipuations that Apple added, you cannot leave your own Airtag unattended for too long as it might start beeping after 8+hours... see here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/apple-airtag-showing-up-crimes-rcna9416

Technology is blind to the intention of "security", can be legit or nefarious reasons.

I'm receiving my just purchased E-bike next week and my initial plan was to hide one, perhaps two, Airtags on it. These bikes are relatively expensive and very attractive targets for thieves. But reading reviews at various bike blogs, Airtags not at all suggested as a security device. Smart thieves will locate them within minutes. What Apple has been forced to do to address "concerns" has made it useless for securing property, which is sad. 
    euphorbiac
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I had assumed that there must be at least some work around to preserve the functionality of AirTags as antitheft devices. this is infuriating 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

Isn't the very purpose of Airtags to locate items lost in proximity?  Keys, luggage car in a unfamiliar parking lot etc? You have to be within the range of bluetooth for the tag to work and be usable to track? I have seen other people get in a panic as if this is a Satellite tracked GPS device.. it isn't.

On my local Nextdoor there was a long conversation from a person that thought his young daughter was being tracked and Airtag is a terrible dangerous device and shouldn't be sold. I explained this very thing and it was early on after they released. She said the alert on her phone kept going off on her walk from school in the same location? I explained if the tag was on her person or schoolbag it could easily be found and it wouldn't just go off in a certain spot. More than likely someone's house she walks very by or hangs out at after school has an Airtag, or someone has dropped one outside and and she keeps passing the same area that triggers the notification.