Apple Watch Series 7 ad focuses on calling 911 in an emergency

Posted:
in Apple Watch
An ad for the Apple Watch Series 7 released on Saturday reminds users it can be used to make a 911 call, in a video playing back calls to emergency services placed via the wearable device.

The Apple Watch has been cited in the past with saving lives, largely through its health monitoring and fall detection capabilities. In a minute-long YouTube video, Apple sheds light on the ability to contact emergency services through the device.

In the sobering ad spot, parts of three 911 calls are played, depicting different situations where the callers need help. The first involves a woman whose car had flipped, with water entering the vehicle and reaching the driver's neck.

The second caller is a paddle boarder who was blown out to sea by a hard wind, and is struggling to return to land. The third was a farmer who broke their leg after a 21-foot fall.

Switching between the situations, more details of each person's predicament are revealed in their conversations with operators. In each case, the call was made via an Apple Watch.

In a post-script title card, Apple states "With the help of their watch, Jason, Jim, and Amanda were rescued in minutes."

While the ability to contact emergency services has received praise for saving lives, there are occasional instances where it makes calls accidentally. In June, a police department in Kansas complained that accidental triggering of such calls by the Apple Watch are pulling responders away from genuine emergencies.

The Emergency SOS feature will automatically make a call to first responders if the side button is held for a period of time. Users are able to customize or disable the feature, if they don't want to risk the chance of an accidental call.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,479member
    If this ad doesn’t move you, check your pulse — you’re at the very least dead inside.

Amazingly, not even mentioned in the ad is the Watch’s ability to call emergency services and your designated emergency contact if you are unable to respond in the event of a fall or crash. For all it can do and the difference it can make in your quality of life, the Apple Watch is invaluable.
    macguiAnilu_777GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Trigger warning would’ve been decent
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,396member
    chasm said:
    If this ad doesn’t move you, check your pulse — you’re at the very least dead inside.

Amazingly, not even mentioned in the ad is the Watch’s ability to call emergency services and your designated emergency contact if you are unable to respond in the event of a fall or crash. For all it can do and the difference it can make in your quality of life, the Apple Watch is invaluable.

It is an ad but is as much a mini-documentary. Yeah there have been accidental false alarms and they can be annoying, but I'd rather respond to ten false ones then not respond to one good one. For those who don't feel it, it only takes one save to change their mind.

AI did have an article about an older bicyclist who left the roadway and disappeared down an embankment losing consciousness. Because his Watch detected the fall, an ambo was called, he was found, his son was alerted, and dad woke up in a hospital with his son present. All occurring while dad was unconscious.

There are many cases where a simple accident turned deadly only because the victim wasn't found in time. In the above instance I believe the victim's Watch was a gift from his son.
    Anilu_777GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Unexpected things happen at unexpected times.  
    That's why I replaced my original Apple Watch with a series 4 with LTE.   I feel much safer with it.  It's only off my wrist to charge while I have coffee & breakfast in the morning.  I do not feel safe without it.  Actually, that's one of the main reasons I would update to a Series 7 with LTE:  33% faster charging so it would spend less time charging and more time on my wrist.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Unexpected things happen at unexpected times.  
    That's why I replaced my original Apple Watch with a series 4 with LTE.   I feel much safer with it.  It's only off my wrist to charge while I have coffee & breakfast in the morning.  I do not feel safe without it.  Actually, that's one of the main reasons I would update to a Series 7 with LTE:  33% faster charging so it would spend less time charging and more time on my wrist.
    The charging speed is by far the best thing about the S7 and the watch itself also seems more efficient. I too upgraded from the S4 and it was worth it for that alone. In my rough estimates, it now charges just above 1% per minute (from 50% upwards). It'll likely charge faster the lower the battery percentage is at the start.
    edited January 2022 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    Let’s just hope that when we have our personal emergency  there will be a cell signal.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    badmonk said:
    Let’s just hope that when we have our personal emergency  there will be a cell signal.

By now the nation should be blanketed with cell signals.  But, we left it for private industry to decide if it would benefit their profits.

Fortunately, 100 years ago we didn't take that approach with electricity -- otherwise large sections of the country would still be using candles oil lamps.
    bruce ketchum