2022 'iPhone 14' rumored to ditch screen notch, new iPhone SE will have 5G

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2022
Apple's 2022 smartphone releases will include the iPhone 14 with a hole-punch display that eliminates the notch, according to Mark Gurman's predictions for 2022, alongside an updated iPhone SE with 5G connectivity.

Apple will launch new iPhone models during 2022, since it has done so as part of its regular release schedule for over a decade. In a rumor roundup for the those models, the new models could include a version that cuts out the infamous notch from the design.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Apple will be bringing a big design change to some versions of the "iPhone 14." Instead of a notch, Gurman says Apple will introduce a hole-punch screen, that creates a compact window for a camera to shine through, without needing to use a full notch.

While a hole punch would mean fewer elements of the True Depth camera array will be directly exposed to the user, Apple will have to come up with an alternative to keep using Face ID on its flagship devices. This could take the form of an under-display system, one that works through the screen but hidden from view.

The idea of a hole-punch display has surfaced in other predictions, including musings in 2021 by The Elec in December, and in March by Ming-Chi Kuo.

Other rumors about the "iPhone 14" include the suggestion it could eliminate the rear camera bump, making for an overall flatter device. The camera resolution is also thought to jump from 12MP to a higher number, potentially at 48MP.

Other rumors for the "iPhone 14" include a titanium casing, and a sketchy prediction of a port-less model, even lacking a SIM tray.

While not a new rumor, in the same newsletter, Gurman also offered that the iPhone SE would gain an update that would add 5G connectivity to Apple's entry-level iPhone. Similar predictions about the support have been made in the past.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    All sounds good, if fairly itterative
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    I would dearly welcome either hole punch faceid and or reliable under screen touchid. If Apple product than it just works!
    edited January 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Before anyone gets too excited about a hole punch camera, consider this invisible, behind the screen front facing camera in this ZTE phone released a year ago now and two years before the iPhone 14:

digitol
  • Reply 4 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 907member
    Faster lenses and/or bigger sensor equal more space needed, not less, which we can see from the growth of the camera bump on iPhone 13 Pro models vs the 12 Pro--so this rumor of shrinking an even more upgraded camera assembly enough to fit flush within the existing depth of the iPhone body seems like pure fantasy at best. I have to say that rumor mills are working overtime selling this idea of a major redesign coming with the iPhone 14, when all I've seen in terms of rumors so far is the notch replaced by a hole punch (Zzzzzzzz) and a flush camera assembly that just ain't gonna happen. 
    williamlondon80s_Apple_Guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,072member
    ionicle said:
    All sounds good, if fairly itterative
    Like a 911.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,843member
    Notches definitely look dated now, independently of the functionality contained within them.

Hole punches and pills look far modern IMO.

Personally I would have liked a slightly curved bump on the top of the frame to house a smaller 3D sensing hardware array and selfie camera. Similar to the subtle curves on the Pismo laptops. They were so sexy!

Along with an alternative biometric option.

• Reply 7 of 14
    wood1208 said:
    I would dearly welcome either hole punch faceid and or reliable under screen touchid. If Apple product than it just works!
    Samsung had an under-display camera and it sucked. Since the True Depth camera array is a group of components then they all must work flawlessly under the screen. I don’t want a buggy Face ID just to get rid of the notch. I’ll take the notch and its fantastic tech over crap with a hole punch any day. 
    RonnyDaddywilliamlondonwatto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 8 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 907member
    Anilu_777 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Samsung had an under-display camera and it sucked. Since the True Depth camera array is a group of components then they all must work flawlessly under the screen. I don’t want a buggy Face ID just to get rid of the notch. 
    This is a primary difference between Apple and Samsung/Android. That latter world is in a perpetual features race, but whether the feature is actually useful or not... or whether it actually works well or not... doesn't matter. The goal is to be first to market. Apple pursues a decidedly less exciting route of only adding features that are useful and that work well upon release, and I'll vote with my wallet for that path every time. 
    patchythepiratewatto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Given Apple just added the notch to the MacBook Pro lineup it seems this is going to be their “signature” look. Why would they then turn right around and remove it. They don’t need to use it on the MacBook Pro’s. 
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Before anyone gets too excited about a hole punch camera, consider this invisible, behind the screen front facing camera in this ZTE phone released a year ago now and two years before the iPhone 14:

Could not agree more! Plain and simple, Apple lied to us, and continues to use the notch under the excuse that it's not possible to put the sensors under the screen. Samsung, (and I greatly dislike Samsung, so this pains me to admit) has had a sensor hidden under screen, notchless design for a looong time now. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    digitol said:

Could not agree more! Plain and simple, Apple lied to us, and continues to use the notch under the excuse that it's not possible to put the sensors under the screen. Samsung, (and I greatly dislike Samsung, so this pains me to admit) has had a sensor hidden under screen, notchless design for a looong time now. 
    Under display camera's are still not that great.  If you look at the ZTE screen or the Samsung under display camera's on the fold, both the screen and the camera's are compromised.  Now I think Apple can likely have some form of IR system that works through a screen and leave the hole punch for the camera itself, but I don't think these through display camera's are ready for prime time.  Maybe in a few generations, but in this area Apple is reliant on Samsung/LG/etc for the advance OLED tech.  I am curious if apple has managed to shrink the Face ID sensors to a level where they are essentially part of the bezel, similar to what Dell has done with some of there windows hello camera's.  Or Apple may still be working on the rumored Micro LED screens, but those always seem to be a few years away from every manufacturer.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 14
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,318member
    I think this is an Apple plant to catch whoever is giving Gurman leaks.  There is too much needed technology with FaceID for it to go away this quickly.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member
    digitol said:

Just how did Apple lie to you? Did they say "it's impossible to put a camera behind the screen?" No. You also need to remember that Apple doesn't just have a camera, they have an entire array for FaceID that has to be perfectly calibrated. 

I've never understood the degree of consternation over the notch. I suppose you could have 3 or 4 punch holes across the top, but that area of the screen would still be functionally useless. In the 3 years I've had my Xs I've not had a single time where the notch caused me an issue. Maybe I need to look for problems that don't exist?
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 14
    digitol said:

Bullshit, and that's not the one in this forum with which to agree (he's always wrong), there was no lying or deceit, but it's plainly clear you both know not a goddamn thing about engineering and product development.
    patchythepiratefastasleep