Apple's 2022 monitor rumored to be half the price of the Pro Display XDR

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    There’s more to a new product than just making and selling it. Apple product support has already slipped noticeably in inverse proportion to its success. More and more support calls are being routed to India and PI, often resulting in severe communication issues. A stable of affordable monitors, though desirable, will only add to the support load. 
    Nice little story you've spun in your own mind, negatively framed as typical.
    Good day to you too, sir. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. I love Apple but lately they seem to be not able to get the full equation together like before. There seems to always be some loose end. Notch on iPhones, ugly chin on iMac and again external power box, Airpower getting too warm etc. Or, not be able to design with end price in mind.
    Notch is complete non-issue which gives screen ratio, rather than take it away like most phones with chin or forehead strips. The chin in the iMac is also a complete non-issue and follows, what, over a decade of chins on iMacs (including white). External power brick on iMac is non-issue, and enables it to be so much smaller, which as a guy who mounts mine on an arm, is definitely a feature not a bug. 

But if your claim is that Apple now has design comprises and never did before, I don’t know what to tell you - you don’t know Apple very well. From iMacs to the Cube to the puck mouse to the Hi-Fi, etc, there have always been compromises or issues.

As for affordability - prices of Macs and iOS devices are so low and spread across so many attractive price points I don’t even know what you’re talking about. If you can’t afford an entry-level iPad or a Mac, you simply aren’t in the game. 
    macxpresswilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 33
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    Yeah, Apple should have been listening to the armchair CEOs on AI obviously who think they know better how to build products people will buy, you know, given the dire financial results of the past couple of decades. [rolls eyes]
    As I said I love Apple but to not offer an affordable Apple monitor for let´s say a Mac Mini or a Macbook Air for use at home seem to be a mystery to me and I am sure that if they were selling those it would add to a good financial result too. To buy some affordable monitor from another brand because Apple don´t offer one seems like a lost opportunity. I don´t say Apple should do cheap crap just to sell but come on, monitors for $4,999.00 (where the stand is sold separately for $999.00) and a Mac mini is $699.00 - see that there is a piece missing here.
    edited January 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 33
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. 

Apple doesn't seem to have any problems selling products. 
    So which Apple monitor do you recommend to match a Mac mini for $699.00?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    opinion said:
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. 
    So which Apple monitor do you recommend to match a Mac mini for $699.00?
    Apple monitor to go with your Apple computer on your Apple desk in your Apple house.

Apple don't need to make everything for everyone.  They're doing very fine by sticking to making what they want to make for the people they want to sell to.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    opinion said:

Ask the people who buy a Mac mini or for instance a Macbook Air and want a larger Apple monitor to use with those, Apple is having a problem selling monitors to them.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    It would be nice if Apple could just make a decent 27" display for around $1200'ish. $2,000-3,000 is still a lot of money for a display. Not everyone needs a 1000nit display at 6k res. I'd rather see a 4 or 5k display at 120Hz or 144Hz instead of 60Hz with a quality LCD panel inside it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    opinion said:
    opinion said:

Ask the people who buy a Mac mini or for instance a Macbook Air and want a larger Apple monitor to use with those, Apple is having a problem selling monitors to them.
    I don't think Apple really cares either...it's not like the Mac won't work without an Apple display. Would I like to see a cheaper display yes as I stated above in my previous post, but if not its not the end of the world and certainly won't keep me (or I doubt anyone else) from buy a Mac in the future. 

Now if Apple made their Mac lineup so you had to specifically buy an Apple display and then they made them $2,000 and up then we have a problem, and a big one at that. 
    edited January 2022 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. I love Apple but lately they seem to be not able to get the full equation together like before. There seems to always be some loose end. Notch on iPhones, ugly chin on iMac and again external power box, Airpower getting too warm etc. Or, not be able to design with end price in mind.
    There’s no such thing as the “best” display, but a true professional monitor is at least 6x more expensive than XDR.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    opinion said:
    Yeah, Apple should have been listening to the armchair CEOs on AI obviously who think they know better how to build products people will buy, you know, given the dire financial results of the past couple of decades. [rolls eyes]
    No fan of free speech (especially on a forum for this topics) right?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    opinion said:
    opinion said:
    What a childish retort.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    opinion said:
    opinion said:
    Newbie, free speech means everyone else is free to call you dumb when you say dumb things.  Learn from the experience.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    aderutter said:
    At this price it might make more sense to buy an iMac and a LunaDisplay. Apple need to release a monitor that is priced less than an iMac. 
    Agree 100%. I think there’s absolutely a market for the high end monitor, and a potential market for another that’s 25% or less than of the cost of the high end monitor. There are some very good deals on 4k/5k monitors - unless you’re a total fanboy I would think it’d be tough to justify over $2k just to get an Apple logo 
    The problem is the dpi of those monitors for doing non-gaming work. A 4K monitor should be 20”, not 32”+. The few decent monitors are in the ballpark of Apple’s XDR display pricing. Most of those max out at 5K. Apple offering something in the $1500 - $2500 range at 6-8K would be a really big deal.
    edited January 2022