Hyper's new Turntable Dock lets you spin your iMac around

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2022
Hyper's HyperDrive Turntable Dock lets you easily turn your iMac around, while its Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub is the world's first to include an integrated Gallium Nitride power source.

HyperDrive Turntable Dock
HyperDrive Turntable Dock

Hyper's product launches for CES 2022 include a pair of devices that are up for a CES Innovation Award. The two items expand the connectivity of connected Macs, but in fairly different ways.

The HyperDrive Turntable Dock is designed to sit underneath the stand of a 24-inch iMac, with the top allowing the iMac to rotate 360 degrees on the spot. Hyper reckons it can be used for collaborative purposes, to make it easier to see what's on screen at different angles, and to re-angle the onboard webcam.

The front and back of the HyperDrive Turntable Dock
The front and back of the HyperDrive Turntable Dock

Along with the turntable, the dock also has built-in enclosure for up to 2TB of M.2 SATA or NVMe storage. Rather than requiring tools to access, the dock has a push-to-release construction to simplify installation and switching of drives.

The dock also includes ten ports, including HDMI out, a MicroSD and SD card slot, one USB-C, and four USB-A ports.

Hyper will be making the HyperDrive iMac Turntable Dock available to order from its website on Monday, priced at $199.99.

HyperDrive Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub
HyperDrive Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub

The HyperDrive Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub is, as the name suggests, a Thunderbolt 4 hub that provides a way to expand the number of such ports available on a connected Mac. While one of its four ports are used to connect to the host, the other three are downstream ports that also support daisy-chaining.

The "Power" part of its name is from its use of Gallium Nitride (GaN), which allows it to dispense with the usual chunky power brick. This gives it a cleaner appearance on a desk, due to the loss of the extra component in favor of a plain power cable.

While power is internalized, it still offers 15W of power delivery to its three downstream ports. It also provides 96W of power delivery to the host, enabling it to recharge MacBook Pro models.

The hub also boasts of enhanced graphical performance for Intel Mac users with eGPUs, due to offering 32Gbps PCIe data transfers. Furthermore, it is able to handle a single 8K 30Hz display, or a pair of 4K 60Hz displays from a supporting Mac.

Hyper plans to introduce the HyperDrive Thunderbolt 4 Power Hub on Monday, but has yet to reveal pricing.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2022 Consumer Electronics Show in person starting on January 3 through January 6 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Because nothing says collaboration better than a meeting huddled to look at a 24” screen. I don’t think I could ever have a desktop screen smaller than the 27”. Would perfect a 32” iMac. Maybe some day..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The turntable is pretty nice, if only it could change the height of the iMac too.  I would wonder at how stable it is though, would need to watch a review.

Is that insert that is holding the iMac power cord included?  It seems weird to me that it's put such a kink in the power cord.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    crowley said:
    The turntable is pretty nice, if only it could change the height of the iMac too.  I would wonder at how stable it is though, would need to watch a review.

Is that insert that is holding the iMac power cord included?  It seems weird to me that it's put such a kink in the power cord.

I think the kink in the power cord serves two purposes:
    1. Prevent the power cord from pulling out (it's magnetic) when the iMac is rotated.
    2. Prevent the power cord from pulling out when the iMac is tilted up.

• Reply 4 of 4
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    nicholfd said:
    crowley said:

I think the kink in the power cord serves two purposes:
    1. Prevent the power cord from pulling out (it's magnetic) when the iMac is rotated.
    2. Prevent the power cord from pulling out when the iMac is tilted up.
    Makes a lot of sense.  Though I was under the impression that the magnetism in the iMac cord is a lot more robust than the MagSafe in laptops, you need to give it a substantial tug.  But it doesn't hurt to have the kink, just in case.
    edited January 2022