Green texts in iMessages nudge teens to use iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Droopster said:
    Beats said:
    my sister literally went “Ew, that's gross,'" said Maher.

feel the same way and it’s a turn off also when I find a girl owns a droid. Not because they’re green but because they have a knockoff iPhone. Reminds me of people who think they’re rich wearing fake jewelry and knockoff Gucci.

Apple isn’t obligated to give anything away for free no matter what Epic says. Though I’ve argued iMessage+FaceTime for $1/month for knockoff iPhones/knockoff iPads would have been a great idea pre-FaceTime on browsers.

I love how shallow people like you are. Why bother having competition when you can bully the rest of the country into submission to the walled garden.

Enjoy your Gucci phone. Can't wait for them to remove the charging port so all those lightning cables become obsolete for those who upgrade. At least they stopped including charging bricks with their phones to reduce e-waste...and then included a cable that couldnt even plug into your old charging brick without an adapter

In the 2000s we had competition. Now it’s iPhone and iPhoneys. Knockoff products aren’t “competition”.

I can’t wait for Apple to move tech forward again either. Why would I care that I don’t need cables anymore? Stupid.

You remind me of the haters who ridiculed Apple for removing the floppy disk drive.
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 61
    typical said:
    Beats said:

feel the same way and it’s a turn off also when I find a girl owns a droid. Not because they’re green but because they have a knockoff iPhone. Reminds me of people who think they’re rich wearing fake jewelry and knockoff Gucci.

Apple isn’t obligated to give anything away for free no matter what Epic says. Though I’ve argued iMessage+FaceTime for $1/month for knockoff iPhones/knockoff iPads would have been a great idea pre-FaceTime on browsers.

iMessage alone isn’t reason enough to switch/stick with real iPhones. Apple needs to stop playing with Apple Arcade and make some really good games with it. Games that encourage online play. Maybe add in iMessage and FaceTime support to the games. Improving Maps would help. I always supported the idea of Apple buying Yelp as it would make Maps more interesting. iCloud is too stingy with storage and TV+ has an ugly name and not much content yet.

do people really think like this? that's the most ignorant bs I've ever heard in my life. if your phone brand is half of your personality something tells me you've got bigger issues than what someone else uses. 

It’s not half of anyone’s personality. Did you not read the article? Knockoff products are just gross. 

Add the the fact that iPhoney users are less educated and dumb statistically.
    edited January 2022 scstrrfviclauyyc
  • Reply 23 of 61
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:
    SMS is SMS is SMS. Apple’s iMessages is their proprietary system and I think they are under no obligation to produce cross-platform versions of it unless they choose to, like Apple Music. Calling it anti-competitive or anti-trust is just another red herring hoisted up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

Critics want Apple to be just another tech company. We all should know that by now.
    Maybe Google should stop making cross platform apps for iPhones. Imagine your iPhone without one of the many apps made available to you by Google, including Google Search. 

You do know that Google pays Apple BILLIONS annually to avoid just that?

bageljoeyscstrrfviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Teenagers will always find a way to create exclusive clubs and decide who’s in and who’s out. Think back to when you were younger: maybe there was an actual club the popular people went to, or an expensive bike with a particular brand you should use ”if you want to be cool”. In my case, it was getting a Nintendo 8-bit and later the SNES (except I was team SEGA and fortunately my friends liked it).

This is different, but not by much. Let’s say Apple made iMessage an open system, even introduce their mocked up app in a finished state on Google Play Store. What would happen next is, iMessage is uncool and some new Snapchat-like app would take over the crown. It would be invite-only based and anyone not able to register would be left out.
    williamlondonderekmorrscstrrfviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 61
    I myself have used SMS since 1999, and RCS for a few months. I’ve learned to never rely on proprietary standards, despite the advantages. I say this after having used ICQ in the glory days of the late 1990s. Then, I tried hard as a Linux full-time desktop user to stay away from MSN Messenger when it was mega popular and a de-facto standard, but had to find a third-party client on Linux called aMSN because it was very tricky to communicate with people online without it.

That situation was a nightmare because it pushed Linux users to Windows, just like SMS and RCS on Android (Linux-based) vs iMessage now. I’m not going to allow myself to go through that dilemma again, personally. I’m an avid Apple fan and hobby Swift programmer who enjoys his Android phone with a Snapdragon 888. Being a grown man has its advantages in that I can just say no to things like Facebook. People can look as surprised as they want to, I’m not joining them in a Facebook group, WhatsApp, Instagram or whatever that I don’t want to join. I love new technology and research in general, open to new tech ideas, and I was an avid Windows Phone 8 user, too, because I enjoyed it, despite what other people thought of it. 

Never let anyone say you can’t try some new exciting tech or OS for the sole reason it’s not cool enough or not mainstream. If we were talking about a crazy random DIY project with unsafe stuff involved, then it’s not ok at all obviously, but that’s not what I mean here: I am just talking about ”cool” vs ”who uses that anyway?” comments.
    edited January 2022 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamviclauyyc
  • Reply 26 of 61
    You can tell by the comments who the green bubbles are. They are green with envy.
    genovelleviclauyyc
  • Reply 27 of 61
    roake said:

Let’s see… what other trivial thing can we make into a political or racist issue…?

SMH. As a 24 year old, (who got an iPhone 10 years ago) this was literally a thing even then for our generation. It’s just taken 10 whole years for the rest of the world to realize we have felt this way. Or maybe we’re just adults now and people are finally listening to us ? Go away with your political over analyzing annoyingness. It’s not trivial it’s just reality—which happens to piss a lot of “older” people off.  I’m just assuming your older since my 53 year old father has a “Let’s go Brandon” T-shirt and thinks it’s the most hilarious thing since sliced bread. 
    bageljoeyMacsWithPenguins
  • Reply 28 of 61
    lkrupp said:
    "…just another red herring hoisted up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.”

You really liked the way that sounded, didn’t you? 
  • Reply 29 of 61
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    avon b7 said:
    I'd say the opposite is possibly true in the EU. For years Messages has been a rarely used option as far as I can tell while WhatsApp has been a must use for almost every person I know.

My wife has never ever used Messages for IM. I only know one person that still uses sms for regular messages and that's on Android.

I use WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber and Signal.

Every now and then I see waves of people appearing as new users on Telegram but I'd say WhatsApp is still the IM client that reigns supreme here. 
    They are missing sooo much by using 3rd party Apps. One of the best features is that when sending to someone new, it will revert to a text automatically if the user is not on the iMessages network 
    scstrrfMacsWithPenguinswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 61
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    My 8 year old was trying to FaceTime a friend and found out their mom gave them an Android. She wanted him to use duo that requires a Google account (not!) he was like dude, you need an iPhone. Just FaceTime me when you get you iPad back. 
    BeatsscstrrfMacsWithPenguinswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 61
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:
    SMS is SMS is SMS. Apple’s iMessages is their proprietary system and I think they are under no obligation to produce cross-platform versions of it unless they choose to, like Apple Music. Calling it anti-competitive or anti-trust is just another red herring hoisted up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

Critics want Apple to be just another tech company. We all should know that by now.
    Maybe Google should stop making cross platform apps for iPhones. Imagine your iPhone without one of the many apps made available to you by Google, including Google Search. 
    I tried to imagine it… It was actually pretty easy since I have no Google apps on my phone, and do not use Google search.
    DogpersonwilliamlondonBeatsscstrrfMacsWithPenguinswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Someone had way to much time and research money to devout some much energy to something so meaningless. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 61
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Sorry mate but that is the dumbest post every. My phone has been Google free for years and I’m not missing anything. 
    DogpersonwilliamlondonBeatsscstrrfMacsWithPenguinswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 61
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    genovelle said:
    avon b7 said:
    I'd say the opposite is possibly true in the EU. For years Messages has been a rarely used option as far as I can tell while WhatsApp has been a must use for almost every person I know.

My wife has never ever used Messages for IM. I only know one person that still uses sms for regular messages and that's on Android.

I use WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber and Signal.

Every now and then I see waves of people appearing as new users on Telegram but I'd say WhatsApp is still the IM client that reigns supreme here. 
    They are missing sooo much by using 3rd party Apps. One of the best features is that when sending to someone new, it will revert to a text automatically if the user is not on the iMessages network 
    Well, that part doesn't work at all when having a group conversation. As long as Apple fails to recognize new messaging standards, the only reliable way to group chat is using e.g. WhatsApp. Like it or not.
    edited January 2022 williamlondonctt_zhMacsWithPenguins
  • Reply 35 of 61
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Beats said:

iMessage alone isn’t reason enough to switch/stick with real iPhones. Apple needs to stop playing with Apple Arcade and make some really good games with it. Games that encourage online play. Maybe add in iMessage and FaceTime support to the games. Improving Maps would help. I always supported the idea of Apple buying Yelp as it would make Maps more interesting. iCloud is too stingy with storage and TV+ has an ugly name and not much content yet.

Well said. Apple is poised to dominate all of these. But they don’t. They just mess around, being content with dominating in phones and PCs. But they could easily dominate Google and game consoles if they actually decided to get serious. 
    You should consider that Apple is serious in gaming.  It's just that they bad at it.  Just look how they are doing with the Apple TV. 
    Apple TV Struggling, With Market Share Of Just 2% - Macworld UK
    Even MS, Nintendo and Sony are ahead of Apple as streaming devices.  What makes you think they will better than MS, Sony and Nintendo in the gaming console market?  
    ctt_zhMacsWithPenguins
  • Reply 36 of 61
    jevich said:
    roake said:

Let’s see… what other trivial thing can we make into a political or racist issue…?

SMH. As a 24 year old, (who got an iPhone 10 years ago) this was literally a thing even then for our generation. It’s just taken 10 whole years for the rest of the world to realize we have felt this way. Or maybe we’re just adults now and people are finally listening to us ? Go away with your political over analyzing annoyingness. It’s not trivial it’s just reality—which happens to piss a lot of “older” people off.  I’m just assuming your older since my 53 year old father has a “Let’s go Brandon” T-shirt and thinks it’s the most hilarious thing since sliced bread. 
    Just because your father is stoopid does not mean the rest of us olders are not openminded and able to think clearly. STOP GENERALIZING. It will make life easier. 
    scstrrfMacsWithPenguinswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 61
    I'm honestly wondering why anyone would use iMessage at all. From a privacy perspective, it's a terrible product.
    I've been using Signal for a while. While it's not perfect, it's far better on a privacy front than iMessage. And it doesn't encourage people to ostracize users based on what phone they have -- that's just incredibly childish behavior.
    ctt_zhwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamMacsWithPenguins
  • Reply 38 of 61
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    roake said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

I tried to imagine it… It was actually pretty easy since I have no Google apps on my phone, and do not use Google search.
    Skeptical said:
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Sorry mate but that is the dumbest post every. My phone has been Google free for years and I’m not missing anything. 
    If you are happy with out Google services, good for you.  Personally I only use Google Maps and sometimes Google Search.  But as today, Google dominates consumer services, far ahead compared to even Apple services. A lot of Apple customers will be affected if Google decides to stop making apps for iOS devices.  

BTW, did you know that Apple accepts billions of dollars every year to make Google Search the default engine?  If Apple recommends Google Search for their customers, then they aren't as bad as you think, right?  And if you ask me to choose between Apple services and Google services, I'll have to choose Google services.  They are miles ahead of what Apple offers.   Maybe that's the reason most customers go with Google and MS services over Apple services, including me.  
    ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamMacsWithPenguins
  • Reply 39 of 61
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    Beats said:
    Sorry have to finish my reply here. The Italic settings were driving me crazy. AI needs to fix their forum.

Anyways, the woman who mentioned iMessage/FaceTime being a social network hit on something. Some time ago people on here were arguing that Apple needs to make a social platform and a user mentioned iMessage being a successful one. I never thought about it that was but it makes sense.
    Yeah, agreed -- Apple really does have a social network with Messages and FaceTime. I think the reason people don't always recognize that is that within the tech industry social network' means 'ad network.' Apple actually designs/intends Messages, FT, and also Mail and Photo sharing to be about positive human interaction, not advertising and manipulation. But because advertisers can't inject their micro-targeted mind control messages into people's Messages conversations, Apple "doesn't have a social network.'
    williamlondonBeatsscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 61
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    dmorgan said:
    lkrupp said:

Go ahead, make my day. The only thing from google that I use on a regular basis is search, but that's just because it's the default. Even if Google does still have the best Search, I seriously doubt I would notice the difference if that default were replaced by Bing, Duck-duck go, or a home-made option from Apple. And to the extent that I'd notice a difference, the difference would be gone in 6 months as the volume of Apple users would lead to better search. 

The fact that Google pays Apple billion$ each year to be the default search on the iPhone is a very strong indicator that they are very well aware that they're not as special as you think they are. 
    williamlondonBeatsscstrrfwatto_cobra