Apple TV+ nabs six Writers Guild of America Award nominations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2022
A handful of Apple TV+ shows, including "Ted Lasso" and "The Morning Show," nabbed nominations in the upcoming 74th annual Writers Guild of America Awards for TV programs.

Apple TV+
Apple TV+

The Writers Guild of America West and Writers Guild of America East announced its TV and news show nominees on Thursday. Included in the list are Apple programs like "Ted Lasso," "The Morning Show," and "The Problem with John Stewart."

A full list of Apple's nominations in the 74th WGA Awards is below, broken down by category.

• Drama Series - "The Morning Show

• Comedy Series - "Ted Lasso"

• Episodic drama - "La Amara Vita (The Morning Show")

• Comedy/Variety Talk Series - "The Problem with Jon Stewart."

• Adapted Short Form New Media - "Calls"

• Children's Episodic Series - "Park Ranger Pecy/Lizard Lizzy" ("Helpsters")

Other shows that made the WGA awards list include "Loki" on Disney+, "Only Murders in the Building" from Hulu, and "Hacks" from HBO Max. The WGA only announced TV and news nominations on Thursday, with film nominations slated to be announced on Jan. 27.

Some of Apple's 2022 nominees aren't newcomers to award nominations. Both "Ted Lasso" and "The Morning Show" have accumulated a good number of award nominations, including Critics Choice TV awards, Emmy Awards, and more.

As of January 2022, Apple says that its original shows and films have been honored with 763 award nominations and 190 award wins.

The 74th annual WGA awards will take place on Sunday, March 20, 2022. It will be hosted by WGAW and WGAE.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Can anyone explain to me why Ted Lasso keeps winning all these comedy awards?

I’ve watched a few episodes, and I don’t get it. I could count the number of jokes in a typical episode on one hand. It feels more like a sportsball show than a comedy. 

Am I missing something? Or is this just the Emperor’s New Comedy — everyone says it’s funny so they don’t feel left out? 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lonestar1 said:
    Am I missing something?
    Yep.

What you're missing is an understanding that there is no such thing as objective quality of subjective things like humor. The fact that you don't like something doesn't mean it is bad, and if that thing is popular and acclaimed, then regardless of what you think of it, you have to acknowledge that it has achieved success by subjective metric.

What you might also be missing is the comprehension that what you think of as being the best comedy will not be appreciated as such by the majority. We could just as well ask, "why do you say this other thing is funny, are you just doing that to be popular, or to be cool by being different, or because you are contrary, or because you are being ironic, or for some other reason that undermines your agency and disparages your opinion?"
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 5
    They need to win something for the best Rickroll in the history of Rickrolls.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member
    lonestar1 said:
    Can anyone explain to me why Ted Lasso keeps winning all these comedy awards?

I’ve watched a few episodes, and I don’t get it. I could count the number of jokes in a typical episode on one hand. It feels more like a sportsball show than a comedy. 

Am I missing something? Or is this just the Emperor’s New Comedy — everyone says it’s funny so they don’t feel left out? 
    Totally with you. I like and enjoy the show but to say that it’s so incredibly well written with amazing acting, etc. is absurd. Even Apple’s very own Mythic Quest is much more deserving of such accolades. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Vanilla said:

What you're missing is an understanding that there is no such thing as objective quality of subjective things like humor. The fact that you don't like something doesn't mean it is bad, and if that thing is popular and acclaimed, then regardless of what you think of it, you have to acknowledge that it has achieved success by subjective metric.

Nope. If you read what I said, about the *quantity* of jokes in each episode, you will see how foolish your response is. The *quality* of humor may be subjective; the *quantity* is not. Counting is not subjective. 2+2=4, no matter who is counting. 

Vanilla said:
    What you might also be missing is the comprehension that what you think of as being the best comedy will not be appreciated as such by the majority. We could just as well ask, "why do you say this other thing is funny, are you just doing that to be popular, or to be cool by being different, or because you are contrary, or because you are being ironic, or for some other reason that undermines your agency and disparages your opinion?"
    What you might be missing, with your, insults, is the target. Completely, I’m afraid. I have done improvisational comedy and vaudeville before live audiences. I have written a fair bit of comedic poetry and one stage play. I know what people think is funny, and more to the point here, I know how to count. The fact that you ignore my statement about the number (quantity) of jokes on the show, in favor of an ad-hominem snark, undermines your agency and disparages your opinion. 

(Are you by any chance a critic? Or one of the writers on the show? You seem to be very defensive about it,) 
    muthuk_vanalingam