New iMac Pro & AirPods Pro included in 2022 refresh, report reiterates

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2022
Apple's plans for 2022 include an iMac Pro redesign, a major update for AirPods Pro, and a slew of other launches, a report on Sunday confirms.

Apple is widely expected to introduce a multitude of product updates throughout 2022, including typical launches of iPhones in the fall. In a Sunday report, the catalog will include a return of the iMac Pro.

Detailing his expectations for 2022 product launches in Bloomberg's "Power On" newsletter, Mark Gurman discusses the "bigger than the current 24-inch" iMac that's on the way, one he believes will use the iMac Pro brand.

In his forecast, the model will apparently have "similar chips to the M1 Pro and M1 Max processors inside of the iMac Pro." The model will also get a facelift, giving it a "similar design" to the 24-inch iMac.

The predictions are unsurprising, as they cover similar ground to other previous rumors, which have put forward the idea of a new iMac Pro model arriving in early 2022. In December, one report said it would have a 27-inch display with mini LED backlighting and support for 120Hz ProMotion.

The processor claims also date back to another leaker's claims in October, with the same source claiming on January 23 that it could be an opportunity for Apple to introduce a fourth M1 chip variant.

Gurman also mentions AirPods Pro in the piece, which will allegedly receive a "big update" later in 2022.

Rumors have previously pointed to a potential "AirPods Pro 2" launch sometime in 2022, complete with a possible redesign that could reduce or eliminate the stem entirely. Support for lossless playback has been suggested in rumors, with improved processing enabling new features including auto-switching, on-device Siri, case tracking, and health sensors.

In terms of other launches, Gurman recounts other rumors about a spring event in March or April, which could see the launch of a new iPhone SE with 5G, an iPad Air update, and a new Mac Pro with Apple Silicon.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Does anyone have an idea of the component costs for the M1 series SoCs? The doubling of price between the original M1 and the Pro/Max Macs makes me wonder just how expensive the new chips are.

I like my MBA but would like it more in a 14-16” version. I don’t do as much heavy work on my iMac but would rather have at least a 24” iMac with the capabilities of the M1 Pro just not at the price of the new MBPs. My MBA is limited because of the weak TB connections requiring me to spend several hundred dollars for docks and hubs. The cost to upgrade the storage can’t be offset with external TB drives because of the limited write speed. not everyone needs the most powerful CPU but the 2020 Macs were teasers and I hate being teased. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
     I do not believe Apple will use the same M1 Pro and Max processors in the new iMac Pro. Such a machine deserves a much more powerful CPU/GPU which is in their laptops and will be 6-9 months old by the time the iMac Pro comes out.  The rumoured 12 Core CPU sounds realistic or the long rumoured dual M1 max variant.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I think we all know the iMac Pro is coming out this year. 

What seems to be the sticking point is when. 

It seems that some version of the larger iMac will be out in spring. Hopefully we don’t have to wait until fall for the “Pro” version. 

Would love to to see the 12 or more core M1/M2 Max or Ultra or whatever upped by 1GHZ though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    rob53 said:
    Does anyone have an idea of the component costs for the M1 series SoCs? The doubling of price between the original M1 and the Pro/Max Macs makes me wonder just how expensive the new chips are.

I like my MBA but would like it more in a 14-16” version. I don’t do as much heavy work on my iMac but would rather have at least a 24” iMac with the capabilities of the M1 Pro just not at the price of the new MBPs. My MBA is limited because of the weak TB connections requiring me to spend several hundred dollars for docks and hubs. The cost to upgrade the storage can’t be offset with external TB drives because of the limited write speed. not everyone needs the most powerful CPU but the 2020 Macs were teasers and I hate being teased. 
    The 13" MBP with 16GB/512GB and M1 is $1699.
    The 14" MBP with 16GB/512GB and M1 Pro is $1999.

M1 -> M1 Pro is roughly $300. There are other differences between the models like display and touchbar but the chip itself should account for no more than $300.

But a big part of what makes the price difference between Pro and regular models is the minimum spec. Extra 8GB RAM ($200) and extra 256GB SSD ($200) so the Pro models are at least $700 higher than regular. Regular starts at $1299, Pro starts at $1999.

The current 27" iMac starts at $1799 with 8GB/256GB. I expect the new iMac Pro models to start at $1999.

There was a report that Apple plans to have an entry 14" M1 MBP to replace the 13" and this can start at $1299 but I don't think they'd offer M1 Pro with 8GB of memory so the cheapest M1 Pro would be a $1799 model with 256GB SSD.
     I do not believe Apple will use the same M1 Pro and Max processors in the new iMac Pro. Such a machine deserves a much more powerful CPU/GPU which is in their laptops and will be 6-9 months old by the time the iMac Pro comes out.  The rumoured 12 Core CPU sounds realistic or the long rumoured dual M1 max variant.  
    Some reports are suggesting the design will be similar to the 24" with the parts in the chin. If that's the case, a Duo model would be quite hard to cool as this would be over 200W and the magnetic power brick would be quite large. It could be that the iMac Pro maxes out at a 12-core M1 Max and they leave a Duo or higher model for the Mac Pro.

The highest GPU in the old iMac Pro was a 12TFLOPs Vega 64X. An M1 Max with 25% more GPU cores would match this. CPU-wise it would be a little short of the 18-core Xeon but negligible difference:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Multiple-MacBook-Pro-16-M1-Pro-vs-M1-Max-benchmark-results-indicate-much-greater-price-performance-ratio-for-the-M1-Pro-Apple-Silicon.576073.0.html

If they make the design of the 27" like the old iMac Pro with internal PSU, they can fit a Duo chip no problem. With the chin layout, it's less likely but maybe they can find a way to make it work.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    They can fit the PSU in the new style as well. A 27-32" enclosure will open It up thermally as well.

Even if it is a few millimeters thicker, that's a nonissue.

The iPad Pro manages an M1 and 16GB inside an impossibly thin enclosure - WITH battery included.

An iMac can tuck in the power supply like it always has and includes big Apple Silicon power without concern. A Chin is not even necessary to do so.

The chin just kind of makes the current M1 iMac look old.  Hopefully, it looks proportionally way better on the iMac Pro. if they keep it. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    keithwkeithw Posts: 141member
    I'm getting a GB 5.4.4 Metal result of 160620 with my AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT eGPU on my old 2017 iMac Pro. Unless the "new" iMac Pro can get into that territory, I'll probably stick to what I have.  It would be REALLY nice if Apple would just support eGPUs on M* Macs.
    edited January 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Marvin said:

The current 27" iMac starts at $1799 with 8GB/256GB. I expect the new iMac Pro models to start at $1999.
    What leads you to believe that the iMac Pro would only start around $2000?  Wouldn’t that be the consumer 27-30” iMac price? Would Apple not want a higher price point for the iMac Pro starting maybe around the $4000-5000 range?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    JWSC said:
    Marvin said:

What leads you to believe that the iMac Pro would only start around $2000?  Wouldn’t that be the consumer 27-30” iMac price? Would Apple not want a higher price point for the iMac Pro starting maybe around the $4000-5000 range?
    There is an idea floating around Apple media circles that Apple is rebranding the iMac line to follow the branding of iPhone : iPhone Pro, iPad Air : iPad Pro, Macbook Air : Macbook Pro. So, this new 27" miniLED iMac will be called "iMac Pro" and have price SKUs from $2000 to $5000. There won't be an "iMac 5K" brand any more. It's just going to be iMac Pro.

Anyways, perhaps what is happening is this new 27" model will be a regular Liquid Retina display like the iMac 24, have M1 Pro and Max options. It will simply be "iMac" branded and you have your choice of 24" or 27" displays and subsequent compute options. A MBP14 with 6+2+14 M1 Pro is $2000. There's no way an iMac 27" model is going to cost $1800 with that M1 Pro. Perhaps at $2000.

Then, later on, there will be an M1 Max Duo options that will be branded as iMac Pro with 27" miniLED, prices starting at $5000. A 27" miniLED isn't going to be cheap. It's basically 4 14" miniLED displays. Best way for Apple to get out of this component pricing issue is to ship base model iMacs with the old Retina display, not the miniLED one.
    patchythepiratetenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    JWSC said:
    Marvin said:

Pro is just a label Apple uses like on iPad Pro, iPhone Pro. With Intel, there was a Xeon line and Radeon Pro GPUs for desktops. On M1, any model with M1 Pro and above can be called Pro.

They might have models in the $4-5k range. I would have expected an M1 Max Duo in that range but if the design is like the 24", it might top out at a 12-core.

27" iMac Pro, liquid XDR (hopefully)
    M1 Pro 16GB/512GB = $1999
    M1 Max 32GB/512GB = $2799
    M1 Max 12C 64GB/512GB = $3599

This 12-core model would be roughly as fast as the highest 2017 iMac Pro, which used to cost $8499 with 64GB RAM.
    williamlondonpatchythepiratetenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    I think we all know the iMac Pro is coming out this year. 

What seems to be the sticking point is when. 

It seems that some version of the larger iMac will be out in spring. Hopefully we don’t have to wait until fall for the “Pro” version. 

Would love to to see the 12 or more core M1/M2 Max or Ultra or whatever upped by 1GHZ though. 
    Take my money long Apple I need a large screen iMac this year, I’m retiring and I need a New, House, 911 GT3 Touring, and a new big screen iMac in that order……

I shall be free of AutoCad, Navis, Revit, and the dreaded Windows Ribbons U.I.….. 
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    tht said:
    JWSC said:
    Marvin said:

There is an idea floating around Apple media circles that Apple is rebranding the iMac line to follow the branding of iPhone : iPhone Pro, iPad Air : iPad Pro, Macbook Air : Macbook Pro. So, this new 27" miniLED iMac will be called "iMac Pro" and have price SKUs from $2000 to $5000. There won't be an "iMac 5K" brand any more. It's just going to be iMac Pro.

Anyways, perhaps what is happening is this new 27" model will be a regular Liquid Retina display like the iMac 24, have M1 Pro and Max options. It will simply be "iMac" branded and you have your choice of 24" or 27" displays and subsequent compute options. A MBP14 with 6+2+14 M1 Pro is $2000. There's no way an iMac 27" model is going to cost $1800 with that M1 Pro. Perhaps at $2000.

Then, later on, there will be an M1 Max Duo options that will be branded as iMac Pro with 27" miniLED, prices starting at $5000. A 27" miniLED isn't going to be cheap. It's basically 4 14" miniLED displays. Best way for Apple to get out of this component pricing issue is to ship base model iMacs with the old Retina display, not the miniLED one.
    Interesting observation about the branding. But you didn’t present the full iPhone sequence:

iPhone : iPhone Pro : iPhone Pro Max

iMac : iMac Pro : iMac Pro Max

I’ll guess they won’t allow the Pro brand on a second-string display, so the 27-inch iMac Pro will be XDR, like the 32-inch iMac Pro Max.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    iPhone : iPhone Pro : iPhone Pro Max
    iPad : iPad Air : iPad Pro (2)
    MacBook : MacBook Air : MacBook Pro (2)
    Mac Mini : Mac Mini Pro
    iMac : iMac Pro : iMac Pro Max
    Mac Pro : Mac Pro Max

Fun game!
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra