Bluetooth bug wiping out battery life for some macOS Monterey 12.2 users

Posted:
in macOS
A number of users are reporting that a problem with Bluetooth means their Mac battery life goes from 100% to 0% overnight, since updating to macOS Monterey 12.2.

Since Apple released the public beta of macOS Monterey 12.2, an unknown number of users have been experiencing the Bluetooth battery drain. It's not known how widespread the issue is, nor is it confirmed what is causing it.

However, users on both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs have said that the complete battery drain occurs when the device is left in sleep overnight. It's suspected that Bluetooth accessories are frequently waking the Mac from sleep, and consequently draining the battery.

Whoa macOS 12.2 21D49 (the current version) is behaving like Windows! Battery went from full to 0% while on sleep mode overnight. Any fix, @AppleSupport? pic.twitter.com/w1kdJXyU7r

-- fishjourner (@fishjourner)

It's also reported that this issue is resolved when either Bluetooth is disabled, or when all Bluetooth accessories are disconnected. More practically, it also won't happen if the Mac is actually shut down overnight instead of put into sleep.

Reports of the battery issue were first spotted by MacRumors. Apple has yet to publicly respond, and AppleInsider has not seen this manifest.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yep mine is doing that, I just updated 2 days ago and battery was 100% yesterday then closed the lid this morning it’s at 0%
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Add me to the affected group.  2018 Macbook Pro (i7 / 16GB) running MacOS 12.2.  For the past few days, i've been waking up to 0% battery.  Good to know there is a known culprit.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I’ve had something similar on my iPad Pro for a while now. Rapid battery drain seems to be triggered by nearby iMac Bluetooth mouse or keyboard activity. Not as pronounced as this issue, but very noticeable.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Me too, on my 2016 MacBook Pro.  Hope this gets fixed fast; now I’m constantly turning off and turning on my laptop.