Motor Trend reimagines the 'Apple Car,' sees autonomous rideshare in Apple's future

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    crowley said:
    Why is there a plant in the car?  :smiley: 
    It looks like a 2013 Mac Pro, and nature is slowly taking it over. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 22 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    The Ride sharing and car sharing concepts have been around for years and have  never taken off. What makes an electric car with auto pilot suddenly different? 

Elon Musk has made similar fanciful statements and those are just as wrong. Just because it’s by Tesla or Apple won’t change human nature or people’s opinions. 
    While I am not holding my breath for car sharing, I think it does change the equation.

Sharing never took off because the owner of the car retains responsibility for that car -- so insurance companies pretty much dictate what happens (or not).   The closest we come to that is the rental car agencies -- which are both expensive and cumbersome.

Autonomous vehicles could cut through all of that:  If you need a car simply text Avis and one will show up at your door with no human intervention -- like an elevator.  Or, if you're in the city and need a ride home just jump into one parked at the curb -- much like the bike rentals becoming popular these days.
    While it becomes feasible, I think it will remain of limited value.  I think predictions of it replacing car ownership are overly optimistic.
    JWSC
  • Reply 23 of 24
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    This idea makes the most sense to me and what I’ve been saying Apple will do. Their electric/autonomous car dreams are not about the product, but more about the service.

People won’t own an Apple car, they’ll ”hail” one for a ride, or schedule one for a specific amount of time.

Apple didn’t invest 1 billion in a ride sharing company for no reason; they wanted to learn and collect data.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    MplsP said:
    qwerty52 said:
    haikus said:
    Beats said:
    Haven’t we learned that saying “people will never” makes us look dumb?

Whatever Apple is working on will be revolutionary and the usual haters will be out in full force.

”The iPhone will fail because it’s not a good email machine!!”
    I’m a “hater” in this case ;-) But my problem isn’t about Apple. I’m sure they can make a great car. The question is whether the world needs a new car or something beyond that. Do we need Apple to improve the car experience? Or do we need something, as you say, revolutionary? 
    If there weren't people who wanted to make things better they are, we'd still had to live in caves  ;-)
    But now we have iCaves! :tongue: 

If and when this car ever sees the light of day I'm anxious to see the interface. Tesla has been doing a pretty good job of effing their interface up and could use a bit of comeuppance from Apple!
    I’m  talking about the principe. 

You are comparing here Apple Car with Tesla, just like you have already could see Apple Car. 
    Everything in the article above are speculations………Remember? 
    No one knows jet, how Apple Car will really looks like. 
    But for me, it has been always fine to know, that there are people, doing their best, to make the things beter
    williamlondonGeorgeBMac