Google Messages beta is finally showing iMessage emojis

Posted:
in iOS
Google is starting to enable a feature in Google Messages to improve how iMessage reactions appear, with Android users starting to see emoji icons next to reacted-to messages.

In November, it was found that Google was working on a feature to add reactions to Google Messages, specifically allowing for iMessage reactions to appear as an icon in the conversation. At the start of February, Google appears to be finally rolling it out to its beta users.

Previously, Google Messages would tell Android users if someone using an iPhone reacted to a message, but it would do so by displaying text with the reaction rather than a graphical indicator. Late in 2021, code was found showing Google Messages was in the process of overhauling the feature, to make it line up more with iMessages' version.

The beta for Google Messages added the function, allowing testers to see the new iconography, reports Droid-Life. Instead of text, an emoji appears next to the responded-to message, with the icons being somewhat relative to Apple's version.

For example, a heart reaction on an iPhone appears as the heart-eyes emoji in Google Messages. The "Ha Ha" reaction shows the emoji for a person crying with laughter, while the question mark reaction displays a thinking emoji.

So far it appears that the feature is appearing only in the beta version of Google messages, and is slowly rolling out to all testers. It is unclear when it will arrive in the full public release.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Would be nice if Apple caught up with this when an Apple Messages user reacts to a message in a "non-blue" group conversation.   

I am on multiple messages groups created by parents of kids in various bands, teams, youth groups.  Invariably there is at least one non-Apple user in the group so messages are sent over SMS and when someone with Apple Messages reacts I get a whole new copy of the message quoted with something like "so and so liked this message".   
    edited February 2022 bala1234ravnorodom
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    chadbag said:
    Would be nice if Apple caught up with this when an Apple Messages user reacts to a message in a "non-blue" group conversation.   

I am on multiple messages groups created by parents of kids in various bands, teams, youth groups.  Invariably there is at least one non-Apple user in the group so messages are sent over SMS and when someone with Apple Messages reacts I get a whole new copy of the message quoted with something like "so and so liked this message".   
    Unless there is some federal/government-level mandate that we should all use a particular messaging protocol, it will always be a problem.  Apple has zero motivation to play nice with other SMS services.  It all comes down to that blue bubble.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    sflocal said:
    chadbag said:

Unless there is some federal/government-level mandate that we should all use a particular messaging protocol, it will always be a problem.  Apple has zero motivation to play nice with other SMS services.  It all comes down to that blue bubble.
    I think you missed the point.   Apple controls the text sent out and could easily detect that text, since Apple controls it, and display it with the emoji etc.  This has nothing to do with trying to play nice with other SMS services.  It has everything to do with Apple properly displaying the text that their own devices send out.  

I don't know what Google is doing as I don't use android or Google messenger /messages (or whatever if is called) but since they're  getting stuff over SMS from iPhones I suspect that that is what they do.  Imagine the Google message app doing a better job at displaying messages from an iPhone than an iPhone  can do (in a mixed device group)
    williamlondonroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamIreneW
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thrilled about Google Messages beta embracing iMessage emojis!  Bridging the gap between Android and iOS, this integration is a visual delight. It fosters universal communication, turning texts into a seamless blend of expressive icons. Kudos to innovation that unites the emoji lexicon.