Google One VPN is now compatible with the iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in iOS
The VPN by Google One service is rolling out to iPhone users, over a year after its release on Android.

Google One is an iCloud-like subscription service which chiefly gives users greater storage space online. Now the company says that it is bringing a VPN to users who subscribe to its highest, or premium tier.

"Today, we're beginning to roll out the VPN to iOS devices," said the company in a blog post. "Similar to Android, the VPN will be available to Google One members on Premium plans (2 TB and higher) through the Google One app on iOS."

"Plus, members can share their plan and the VPN with up to five family members at no extra cost," Google continued, "so they can all use the VPN, no matter whether they're using an Android or iOS phone."

The premium Google One plan is required for the VPN on iOS or iPadOS. It costs $9.99 per month, or $99.99 per year if paid annually. As well as the VPN, the premium tier offers "Pro Sessions" for support and training. It also provides 2TB of online storage.

VPN by Google One is not, however, the same as a typical third-party VPN. While it provides privacy for users, it does not allow for users to circumvent geographic limitations, such as watching another country's Netflix selection.

In this sense, it's similar in intention to Apple's iCloud Private Relay. Although a different system, that, too, aims to protect users but does not hide the broad location or country that they are in.

Google has not said when it expects VPN by Google One to be available to all users on the premium subscription.

Note that Google One is separate from Google Fi, which also offers a Google VPN, but is a cell phone plan. The company has previously also offered a VPN over Google Fi to iPhone users, again some time after its Android debut.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I trust Google's VPN service as much as I trust Wile E. Coyote's Roadrunner babysitting service.
    Beatswilliamlondonretrogustogilly33
  • Reply 2 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    What a funny year!

In other news, burglars have banded together to start a house sitting business. They promise no one else will have access to your belongings!
    williamlondonretrogustogilly33
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Most here are probably unfamiliar with it, knowing little about the service....
    https://one.google.com/about/vpn

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    You would have to be out of your goddam mind to pick this “VPN” over the many valid VPN options out there. Remember when Facebook tried to pull this crap?
    ihatescreennameswilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    I’m holding out for the Cambridge Analytica VPN. 
    gilly33williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Google offering a VPN service.  Now I've seen everything.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Oh yeah boy I’ll be letting Google VPN all over my web browsing. All my bank information and stuff. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gilly33 said:
    Oh yeah boy I’ll be letting Google VPN all over my web browsing. All my bank information and stuff. 
    LOL! Yours is a strange concern that Google would steal money from your bank account. Weird worry...  

Granted it's not a service for you and never will be, but see post three then read the info page. Then you'll have a better clue how it's set up. Private, secure, encrypted, not tracked by Google, and those facts verified by third party audit. 
    edited February 2022 muthuk_vanalingam