Apple's board recommends voting against all shareholder proposals

Posted:
in General Discussion
Unsurprisingly, Apple is not fond of the shareholder proposals that are on the 2022 ballot, and is recommending voting against all of them.

Apple Park
Apple Park

For example, the recommendations include a for vote for all current nominees to the Board of Directors, according to a document sent to shareholders and seen by AppleInsider. Nominees include Apple CEO Tim Cook, James Bell, Al Gore, Alex Gorky, Andrea Jung, Art Levinson, Monica Lozano, Ron Sugar, and Sue Wagner.

Additionally, the board recommends that shareholders approve the appointment of Ernst & Young as Apple's independent registered accounting firm. Other recommendations include approvals of an advisory vote to approve executive compensation and the approval of Apple's 2022 employee stock plan.

The board recommends voting against a number of shareholder proposals, including one titled "Reincorporate with Deeper Purpose," which requests that Apple amend its articles of incorporation to become a Social Purpose corporation.

Apple's board also recommends voting against a shareholder transparency proposal asking for clearer explanations of app removals from the App Store in response to government requests. In its response, Apple says it "already provides detailed information" about app removals.

Another report that Apple recommends voting against concerns forced labor and requests the creation of a report detailing how Apple protects workers in its supply chain.

The Cupertino tech giant also recommends a no vote on a proposal to create a pay equity report, a proposal requesting a civil rights and diversity audit of Apple, and a proposal seeking the preparation of a report on concealment clauses. The latter proposal is related to past criticism relating to Apple's secret policies allegedly making the discussion of workplace conditions more difficult.

Apple's annual shareholder meeting will take place at 9 a.m. Pacific on Friday, March 4 in a virtual format. The deadline to vote prior to the meeting is 8:59 p.m. Pacific on March 3.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Does Apple ever not oppose shareholder proposals? For that matter, does any major corporation?
    MplsP
  • Reply 2 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Activist shareholders: just sell your shares. Stop grandstanding.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    DAalseth said:
    Does Apple ever not oppose shareholder proposals? For that matter, does any major corporation?
    Yeah, that was my thought too. 

I also like how the board approved the slate of candidates it nominated. Rather inbred. (Although completely in line with most corporations.)

entropys said:
    Every shareholder is part owner of a corporation. As such why should they not have a right to make proposals?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    I’ll do what I want with my own property thank you very much.
    muthuk_vanalingammknelsonanantksundarampscooter63beowulfschmidtkiowawa
  • Reply 5 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    I receive numerous proxy vote forms from companies in my portfolio. And you are correct, I have never seen one where the board recommends a shareholder proposal, they always recommend voting against them.

I personally always vote against shareholder proposals because they are invariably put forth by activists with various agendas, be it executive compensation, labor policies, doing business with Israel, diversity, climate change, you name it.
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 11
    lkrupp said:
    DAalseth said:
    I receive numerous proxy vote forms from companies in my portfolio. And you are correct, I have never seen one where the board recommends a shareholder proposal, they always recommend voting against them.

I personally always vote against shareholder proposals because they are invariably put forth by activists with various agendas, be it executive compensation, labor policies, doing business with Israel, diversity, climate change, you name it.
    And that’s automatically bad because…?
    grandact73
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 256member
    crowley said:
    entropys said:

All .00001% of it?
    jony0
  • Reply 8 of 11
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I always vote my shares, as little as that might affect the total. 

Some shareholder proposals make sense, some don’t.

This time I voted up some, and voted down some.

• Reply 9 of 11
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I’m not a shareholder but as a customer, I’d like Apple to focus on creating great products, not becoming a Liberal Puppet organisation. So many companies are being hijacked by Liberals preaching civility, diversity, kindness & tolerance whilst endorsing the murder of non-Liberals overseas.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sbdude said:
    crowley said:
    entropys said:

All .00001% of it?
    Huh?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I voted with the management on everything, except on the 'forced labor' issue (essentially, about he treatment of Uighurs in China), an issue about which I feel strongly.