Belkin reveals new 12-port Connect Pro Thunderbolt 4 Dock

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2022
The new Belkin Connect Pro Thunderbolt 4 Dock has a multitude of port types and can be daisy-chained with other Thunderbolt accessories.

Belkin Connect Pro Thunderbolt 4 Dock
Belkin Connect Pro Thunderbolt 4 Dock

Users can connect multiple devices, 4K displays, Ethernet, and use an SD card with the Belkin Connect Pro Thunderbolt 4 Dock. It has 90W of Power Delivery for the attached computer and accessories.

The dock supports up to one 8K monitor or two 4K monitors. And thanks to Thunderbolt 4, it has 40Gbps of data transfer bandwidth.

It has the following ports:
  • SD Card Reader
  • Aux headphone jack
  • USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port with Fast Charging PD 3.0
  • Thunderbolt 4 port to Computer
  • Power in
  • Two HDMI 2.0 ports
  • One Thunderbolt 4 port to accessories
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Two USB-A 3.1 ports
  • Two USB-A 2.0 ports
Customers can purchase the Belkin Connect Pro Thunderbolt 4 Dock directly from the Belkin website. It is priced at $399.99 and includes a 0.8m Thunderbolt 4 cable and 120W power supply.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    That’s over $100 more expensive than the more flexible OWC Dock that has the just one less USB-C 3.2 port. (+2 TB4, +1 USB3, -2 HDMI, -1 USB2, -1 USB3C). I don’t think that one port is worth the premium.
    Fred257
  • Reply 2 of 20
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,472member
    I am amazed there's no USB-C hub. I don't want USB-A, I don't want HDMI, I just want all USB-C ports. All modern devices use USB-C. Why are there no USB-C hub? 
    Japhey
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Where are these "all" (modern devices using USB-C ports) beyond Apple-branded tech?

"All" much better applies to USB-A with only some, relatively select devices (not from Apple) having a USB-C connection. If manufacturers go exclusively USB-C, many of their buyers won't have a computer to use them (unless it's a very new computer). However, if they offer USB-A, pretty much any computer from the last 2 decades will be able to directly connect. The world beyond our relatively tiny Mac bubble is enormous.

If the makers of such things believed there was a market, there would be many such hubs already available. Instead, there are hubs to connect to the computer with USB-C but then, like this one, the jacks for connecting things to the hub go with the much more "universal" type A port. 

I fully appreciate the sentiment and can appreciate the ideal world of "one port to rule them all" but it seems we are still far from that ideal. Maybe in 10-15 years when pretty much everyone has turned over their computers a few more times.
    edited February 2022 muthuk_vanalingamdewme
  • Reply 4 of 20
    netrox said:
    I am amazed there's no USB-C hub. I don't want USB-A, I don't want HDMI, I just want all USB-C ports. All modern devices use USB-C. Why are there no USB-C hub? 
    Have you seen the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub? It's got four Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports and four USB-A ports. I've got one for my M1 Mac mini.
    dewmeDnykjpRfC6fnBs
  • Reply 5 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    netrox said:
    https://ezq.com/usb-c-gen-2-hub-adapter-7-ports.html
  • Reply 6 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,135member
    One USB-C port and four USB-A?  mmmkay....
    seanj
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I don’t get it, why they still use USB-A 2.0 ports?
    seanj
  • Reply 8 of 20
    seanjseanj Posts: 319member
    WTF is wrong with manufacture? Why are they still putting USB-A ports on these things FFS?
    Ok, one might be useful for a thumb drive, and another to charge your old iPod click-wheel, maybe…
    I’m pretty most peripherals like external hard-drives etc have been shipping with both C and A cables.
    If you’ve splashed the cash for a modern Mac and a Thunderbolt 4 hub, I doubt you’re still going to be using 10 year old spinning-rust drives.
    edited February 2022 anoylla
  • Reply 9 of 20
    seanjseanj Posts: 319member
    crowley said:
    netrox said:
    But that has 3 too many USB-A ports.
    Make them all USB-C and you have a buyer!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    seanj said:
    crowley said:
    netrox said:
    But that has 3 too many USB-A ports.
    Make them all USB-C and you have a buyer!
    You.... want less options?

Ok, https://www.sitecom.com/en/usb-c-hub-4-port/cn-385/p/1879
  • Reply 11 of 20
    netrox said:
    Have you seen the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub? It's got four Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports and four USB-A ports. I've got one for my M1 Mac mini.
    As well as a my OWC 4 port hub for thunderbolt 4 headphone jack ethernet port some kind of card reader. Moving huge files are just amazing and I’m talking
    about 100gb plus in size with hard drives that can
    come close to handling the speed. I would really love to switch to all SSD drives but still, for me anyway, out of my price point

• Reply 12 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    netrox said:
    There would be if there were a market for them. Apparently there is not.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    So glad I bought the belkin thunderbolt 3 dock on sale, it’s the same freakin thing!! I got one thunderbolt drive connected, a display port that supports 8k and the rest! It’s the same exact thing, a bargain if you find it!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 15 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,898member
    anoylla said:
    I'm guessing this is a bandwidth issue with their particular design? But yeah I agree...kinda crap for 2022. 
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 16 of 20
    macxpress said:
    anoylla said:
    I'm guessing this is a bandwidth issue with their particular design? But yeah I agree...kinda crap for 2022. 
    Speaking of the market and how a Dock should be, I think anything other than USB-A 3.2 (10Gb/s) is already obsolete and doomed to fail in the market.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    anoylla said:
    macxpress said:
    anoylla said:
    Speaking of the market and how a Dock should be, I think anything other than USB-A 3.2 (10Gb/s) is already obsolete and doomed to fail in the market.
    A lot of people like to run mechanical keyboard, simple mice, audio interfaces, dongles a lot of these usb 2 and 3, if you need to connect multiple usb c monitors and raids this is the wrong interface…
  • Reply 18 of 20
    seanj said:
    WTF is wrong with manufacture? Why are they still putting USB-A ports on these things FFS?
    Ok, one might be useful for a thumb drive, and another to charge your old iPod click-wheel, maybe…
    I’m pretty most peripherals like external hard-drives etc have been shipping with both C and A cables.
    If you’ve splashed the cash for a modern Mac and a Thunderbolt 4 hub, I doubt you’re still going to be using 10 year old spinning-rust drives.
    I know, right?  I threw away all of my USB-A devices months ago, so why are these companies wasting resources on something I'll never use again?

/s
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 20
    seanj said:
    I know, right?  I threw away all of my USB-A devices months ago, so why are these companies wasting resources on something I'll never use again?

/s
    I bought USB-C adaptors for ALL my USB-A devices, and now Belkin expect me to NOT use them?

also /s
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 20 of 20
    basharar said:
    anoylla said:
    macxpress said:
    anoylla said:
    A lot of people like to run mechanical keyboard, simple mice, audio interfaces, dongles a lot of these usb 2 and 3, if you need to connect multiple usb c monitors and raids this is the wrong interface…
    USB-A 3.2 is compatible USB-A 3.1, USB-A 3.0 and USB-A 2.0 .. Actually USB-A 3.2 is compatible with ALL previews USB versions. So, if a modern company of today is creating a Dock, and really wants to be on the cutting edge of technology and meet the needs of consumers in the market, when it includes USB-A ports, these ports must always be state-of-the-art. As long as they are of course compatible with previous generations. Otherwise it is a very expensive obsolete piece of junk and will be doomed to be attacked by many anchors (Ankers) on the walls of their market-castle and will be besieged.