Amazon in talks to purchase fitness equipment producer Peloton

Posted:
in General Discussion
As consumer interest in Peloton wanes, companies have begun expressing interest in purchasing the home-fitness equipment purveyor.

Popular during the early phase of the COVID-19 pandemic, Peloton Interactiverecently halted production of its bikes and treadmills due to a lack of interest.

As Peloton's stock sags, interested buyers have lined up to discuss a potential purchase of the company, as learned by The Wall Street Journal.

One purportedly interested party is Amazon, reportedly speaking to advisors about a potential purchase. However, according to those familiar with the matter, there is no imminent deal at this time.

If a company were to purchase Peloton, they could pay quite a bit. WSJ notes that Peloton's market value is around $8 billion, down from its 2021 high of $50 billion.

Yet, the purchase would give the buying company access to Peloton's consumer base and their data. According to Backlinko, that number was around 5.9 million members as of last June.

The data could prove very useful to any company looking to grow its own health and wellness technology branch.

News of the interest jumped Peloton's shares 30% in after-hours trading on Friday.

In 2020, Amazon launched the Amazon Halo, the company's first foray into fitness trackers. The tracker gained notability for its always-on microphone that was used to track a user's tone of voice while wearing it.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    What about Apple buying it ? Fits with Apple's health fitness agenda.
    seanjpatchythepirateBeatsbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 42
    In related news, Amazon in talks to purchase the entire planet. 
    williamlondonJaiOh81patchythepirategregoriusmrotateleftbyteviclauyycDAalsethbyronlMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Oh Christ no
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Amazon buying them for their customer data would be rank stupidity on their part. It’s a lazy strategy that never really pays off but keeps being repeated by CEOs over and over.

Now Apple or Withings buying it as a way to expand their wellness range makes a lot more sense.
    patchythepiratebyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42
    You will own nothing, rent everything from amazon, have no privacy, and you will be happy.
    -WEF
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    You will own nothing, rent everything from amazon, have no privacy, and you will be happy.
    -WEF
    LOL.  Yeah and maybe Amazon and Facebook will merge and form one “happy” and “great” company… just what everybody needs LOL
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 42
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    Certainly a lot of Amazon news here lately… some might say too much :)   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 42
    I hate when good up and coming companies sell out to the mega corporations. I get it because it’s big easy cash in the hands of the owners, but I still hate seeing it because you know the big mega corp will turn it into something worse, especially Amazon as it’s obvious they want to use the Peloton brand to bully all the other exercise equipment manufacturers that sell on Amazon. 
    I won’t use oculus because Facebook aka meta🤮 bought them. 
    I won’t use tidal because twitter bought them. 
    I’d rather not use LinkedIn since Microsoft bought em.
    and many others. 
    Many times I agree with Apple buying companies but also many times I don’t. However Apple is usually better about privacy so I don’t care as much.
    Seems like they turned a corner on that one though big time. I think the govt makes them incorporate the back doors to your device, with a gag order of course, so Apple has to spin it as a feature. 
    rotateleftbytebyronl
  • Reply 9 of 42
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I’ve hoped Apple bought a gym equipment company like Nordic Trac for GymKit to innovate and take over gyms. Apple could run it even more distant than Beats.

byronl
  • Reply 10 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wood1208 said:

Apple already has Fitness+
    So why would they bother buying Peloton?   What do they get besides some over priced equipment?

But, home gyms are, I think, a likely growth industry -- but people need training and support.  So there's lot's of room to grow.

For myself, I switched from a high end sports performance center to a home gym supplemented by outdoor runs and cycling.   And, to be honest, it : the switch from sporadic, high intensity workouts to more frequent, full body moderate intensity intensity has worked out for the best.

It seems that with fitness training consistency is the key:  if nothing else, you don't see high end athletes doing "150 minutes a week" programs.  Nor do you see them working out 2-3 times a week.  They work typically 6 days a week. 

Consistency is the key -- and home gyms support that.  And Apple Fitness+ provides support and coaching where and when you need it.   I only see this growing.

ronnbyronl
  • Reply 11 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "As consumer interest in Peloton wanes, companies have begun expressing interest in purchasing the home-fitness equipment purveyor.”

Why? Peloton has crashed and burned as people return to real gyms. Sure, buy it cheap but then what? At least Apple bought a thriving Beats.
    ronnbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 42
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    wood1208 said:
    There is nothing about Peloton that "fits" into any agenda at Apple.  That's like saying that Apple should buy Under Armour because it fits into its fitness agenda. 
    GeorgeBMacbyronlfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Kind of like rushing out to buy First Class tickets for the Titanic. Whoops, it has already sunk. Just like Peloton. The equipment will be nearly valueless without the internet access parts.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 42
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    flydog said:
    wood1208 said:
    There is nothing about Peloton that "fits" into any agenda at Apple.  That's like saying that Apple should buy Under Armour because it fits into its fitness agenda. 

GymKit.
    byronlbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 15 of 42
    wood1208 said:

So why would they bother buying Peloton?   What do they get besides some over priced equipment?

But, home gyms are, I think, a likely growth industry -- but people need training and support.  So there's lot's of room to grow.

For myself, I switched from a high end sports performance center to a home gym supplemented by outdoor runs and cycling.   And, to be honest, it : the switch from sporadic, high intensity workouts to more frequent, full body moderate intensity intensity has worked out for the best.

It seems that with fitness training consistency is the key:  if nothing else, you don't see high end athletes doing "150 minutes a week" programs.  Nor do you see them working out 2-3 times a week.  They work typically 6 days a week. 

Consistency is the key -- and home gyms support that.  And Apple Fitness+ provides support and coaching where and when you need it.   I only see this growing.

Some rowing machine charges $400/yr for membership. So there is a lot of money to make. But if the instructions are delivered through internet, Apple could easily use the Health app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 42
    This is a comment that people will spew
    their coffee over. 🤣
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Amazon is now just like the Buy N Large company from the movie Wall-E. The difference here is Elon Musk’s space ships will take us off the planet.
    edited February 2022 rotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Amazon is now just like the Buy N Large company from the movie Wall-E. The difference here is Elon Musk’s space ships will take us off the planet.
    I'm ok with this as long as Bezos, Musk, and No 45 are all on board for the first one-way journey to Mars.
    That way, they can escape paying any tax for good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 42
    wood1208 said:

Some rowing machine charges $400/yr for membership. So there is a lot of money to make. But if the instructions are delivered through internet, Apple could easily use the Health app. 

Apple already has rowing machine workouts on Fitness+.  And, all you need is a rowing machine which you could buy for less than $400
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    I'm ok with this as long as Bezos, Musk, and No 45 are all on board for the first one-way journey to Mars.
    That way, they can escape paying any tax for good.

Putting those three together on a deserted planet would make for an interesting story.
    My money is on Musk because the other two would kill each other while Musk would build an EV rocket to get himself back to earth.
    byronlwatto_cobra