IRS reverses course, won't require video selfies for taxpayer identification

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It does not matter they now plan not to use it, they have been using it for over a year. I have to make an estimated payment, and could not use my original login, I uploaded my passport image and it asked for a cell phone number to send a link so it could use the iPhone camera to take a picture and then compare to the passport to the selfie. 

I have mixed feeling on this considering for a number of years now, if someone got hold of your SS# and some other information that could fill a tax returns on your behalf and get refunds. They could also log onto your IRS account if you had not originally set one up, they could easily create an account for you without your knowledge. It would take years for the government to figure what was going on. They are so far behind, when I logged onto my account, they only have the 2018 return data there they hand not process the 2019 or 2020 return yet, even though the issued refunds to me within 3 weeks of me processing my returns. By the way, the IRS can only look back 3 yrs if they think you cheated them, they can look back further under certain circumstances. The government had not idea if they been screw by criminals faking returns. 

Even thought they now requires someone to do face ID, anymore could create a fake Drivers license with their photo and all your information and then upload that and do the Facial recognition with their own face the system has not way of know if the picture is the real person. I personally use the Passport since the Fed issued the document thinking they already know who I am, not sure that is the case though. This could be the reason they are now doing away with it since it creates all kinds of legal issue for the government.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 22 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    badmonk said:
    For me, the video selfie did not work (with my MBP) and you end up in an endless loop with no ability to go backwards.  For this to be rolled out two moths before the tax deadline was bad judgement and folly.  A lot of Americans don’t have the technology chops to pull this off, obviously I don’t.
    I read that part of the system was to geolocate people, as part of this they want you to use your cell phone since each cellphone had its unique identifier which is captured as part of the facial ID and the actually location you were when the photo was taken. This is not true for your computer, you could have been behind a VPN or such and their is no database (cellphone companies have the database) for all mac in use and where they are at all times. It appears ID.me wants people to use their phone, if required, they could then track where you go and have gone and to verify you were at the address which matches the address used on the return.

I do not know if this is true, but it could have been the fact you were not using a cellphone and they really wanted you to use the cellphone. If you notice it did not own loads an app, it did it via a webpage which I think is getting around Apple's app store policy of no tracking people through an app. I know there were lots of question brought up once people found out what they were doing.

• Reply 23 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    maestro64 said:
    rob53 said:
    Just one more attempt at creating a facial database of every American, making it easier for the FBI to locate anyone. Is this in our Constitution?

So, it has to be written in the Constitution to be valid?   How many existing laws are in our Constitution?
    The only ones who need to fear identification are those breaking those laws.
    Now that we all know you think surveillance is good and do not have an issue with it and believe you're are as pure as the driven snow. How about provide all of us all your personal login information and let us determine if what you are doing is acceptable if we all decide you are not we can turn you over to the authorities to deal with you. Remember it is not what your think is right and wrong it is what we all think is right.

BTW, the government's only job is to ensure that no one infringes on our rights and pass no law which infringe on those rights including the government elected and non-elected officials and yes we all have a right to privacy so it is written into the Constitution.

I trust my government.   A short while ago things were getting shaky -- but we fixed that and democracy and the rule of law are back on track.  (Except for the Supreme Court -- that needs to be unpacked)
  • Reply 24 of 26
    An administration that put forth a plan to require authentication of people trying to pay their taxes, while simultaneously fighting like hell against authenticating people trying to vote.  

Have I got that right?

No, you don't
    Kinda feel like I do but, tell me more. 
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 25 of 26
    cjaercjaer Posts: 14member

Snippet then from dept homeland security, https://www.dhs.gov/biometrics

"OBIM is the lead designated provider of biometric identity services for DHS, and maintains the largest biometric repository in the U.S. government.

This system, called the Automated Biometric Identification System or IDENT, is operated and maintained by OBIM. IDENT currently holds more than 260 million unique identities and processes more than 350,000 biometric transactions per day.

Through biometric interoperability with the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Justice (DoJ), DHS shares critical biometric information using advanced data filtering and privacy controls to support the homeland security, defense, and justice missions."

Don't think the IRS was breaking any sort of new ground on this.

• Reply 26 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    An administration that put forth a plan to require authentication of people trying to pay their taxes, while simultaneously fighting like hell against authenticating people trying to vote.  

Have I got that right?

No, you don't
    Kinda feel like I do but, tell me more. 

"Authenticating people to vote" is code for "Make it as difficult as possible for certain citizens to vote".
    It's replaced literacy tests and poll taxes.