EU lawmakers unfazed by Meta's threat that it would pull out of Europe

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    netrox said:
    I hate EU. I am sick of EU imposing cookie policy notice every time I visit a website. 

Agreed, I wonder how many people actually click no?
    I always click no.  Why would you click yes?  The notice is literally there to tell you that the website wants to snoop on you.
    numenoreanmaciekskontaktwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    What an intriguing threat: "We'll take Facebook away from you".

Yes please.
    numenoreanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    hpehpe Posts: 4member
    rezwits said:

The problem is the EU, and it's "subsidiaries" i.e. countries have found an avenue to just $FINE American Companies willy nilly and nit pick.  Until Apple or whatever American company just says ok no more.

I honestly say we should just abandon the EU and let them live with just Android and Windows.  Like a FULL 100% pull out.

While that is true. The US has done similar things by arbitrarily fine European banks who had no other option than to comply and just pay or the US would take away said banks access to the US dollar… which would mean bankruptcy for almost any bank…🤷‍♂️

I for one dislike all of this kind of behavior…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    Small businesses in Europe may be upset that they have a hard time advertising and connecting with customers. Shouldn’t help out small businesses in Europe. I guess that’s why the EU likes to tax our companies
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    bshank said:
    Small businesses in Europe may be upset that they have a hard time advertising and connecting with customers. Shouldn’t help out small businesses in Europe. I guess that’s why the EU likes to tax our companies
    When was the last time you saw a useful ad on Facebook?  It’s all junk.
    rotateleftbytemaciekskontaktMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    avon b7 said:
    This is a bit laughable.

Meta should definitely pull out if they can't comply with legislation and then we'd see a scramble for new platforms. It would be a win/win for consumers although I suppose Google would quickly fill any void. 

If they took WhatsApp with them we'd have even more competition. 

I say, call their bluff. 

Scramble for new platforms? Why do you need them in the first place? Cannot leave without electronic friends? Go around and stick out head out of the door without "platform" they are there. Social platforms are only additions to life - not basics for life. You just need electronic device to communicate remotely and to read news. The rest is just unnecessary addition.

Oh and for the record did you know that AI is now on the level that you could be socializing with... a robotic person that does not exist? I keep forgetting that people nowadays seem to treat it as normal thing giving it even chance to make decisions for human. Facebook also published AI written articles that were fake.

Nobody needs to look for any replacement platform. In Russia, they banned Linked in like almost 10 years ago for not using infrastructure (servers) in Russia. Do you think people there care? While LinkedIn brings much value, Facebook/Meta does not.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    netrox said:
    I hate EU. I am sick of EU imposing cookie policy notice every time I visit a website. 

Agreed, I wonder how many people actually click no?
    I do. Now Formula 1 has so many vendors and cookies that I simplify process and block all of them with one click. I can unlock temporarily only when I want to watch video, but other than that Formula 1 is out of luck and wiped out what is stored after it is not needed. And it is not even EU but browser that helps and does it as if it was EU mandated.

Simply use Vivaldi or Brave browsers.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    crowley said:
    bshank said:
    Exactly! They snooped on my car research that I was considering for different purpose (not exactly regular commuter as i have several cars of different type for different reasons). Same was with wine. They shoved at me boring and unproductive garbage car ads (good cars but they or AI does not understand context of what I am doing even tiny bit). Same with wine. I posted few with friend who is experienced taster and I happened to like some with no expertise in area. I would be buying some wines thank to Facebook shoving ads at me till end of my life probably. No context found that it has to be from special winery that we encountered and tasted and adds offer wines that are way off from our taste. Facebook could be advertising company for Anonymous  Alcoholics at times that drive any car vendors want to sell.

Facebook should do better job in machine learning and tagging contexts for users.

Thankfully, I switched to browser that by default blocks ALL advertising in Facebook, Google and few others and I did not see a lot of garbage, but some slipped anyway. That is before I left Facebook around December 2020 and logged in only once in 2021 to restrict all my posts there so they are not visible anymore.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    JWSC said:
    I can just see the collective outrage if Facebook and WhatsApp were removed from the EU market.  Facebook, while a tedious medium to many, is still wildly popular. Many people have built their entire lives, businesses, and social networks on the platform. While painful, I have no doubt that Meta could and would do it if they believe their entire business model is threatened. Yanking it unceremoniously from the unwashed masses would prove to be very unpopular, and Meta would make sure everyone knows who is to blame. Obviously, Meta would prefer not to do this. But it's no bluff.
    I would not mind that Facebook app went away because Meta does not respect the privacy rules in the EU.   The gap will quickly be filled by other apps.

For the WhatsApp app, this is a different story.  Thanks to very strict restrcitions the EU has imposed when Meta bought WhatsApp, the EU consumers have a much better WhatsApp  EULA than the American consumers.  With end to end encryption and no link allowed between a Facebook profile and WhatsApp,  WhatsApp has become the default messaging app in the EU, even between iOS users
    JaiOh81sphericmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 33
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    crowley said:
    bshank said:
    I agree personally. Sometimes I get an interesting ad served for a new product. I would say that the negatives far outweigh the positives with Facebook for sure. But a lot of small businesses do depend on the marketing tools
    Facebook has created. I heard some saying this could be tested by FB to turn off their services for a week and that the EU would likely hear about it from small businesses. Not sure the specific landscape in Europe, but this is one angle that could amount to a legitimate issue.
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    I get clothing and shoe ads of interest on FB occasionally — for products where I've already subscribed to the newsletter, of course. LOL.

But I love that they spam me with ads for "energy healing" and "orgone generators", "colloidal silicon" (i.e. sand in water) and similar expensive scams. 

I report them as scams. :-) 

Instagram on the other hand does a lot better. 
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    avon b7 said:
    This is a bit laughable.

Meta should definitely pull out if they can't comply with legislation and then we'd see a scramble for new platforms. It would be a win/win for consumers although I s i8uppose Google would quickly fill any void. 

If they took WhatsApp with them we'd have even more competition. 

I say, call their bluff. 

Scramble for new platforms? Why do you need them in the first place? Cannot leave without electronic friends? Go around and stick out head out of the door without "platform" they are there. Social platforms are only additions to life - not basics for life. You just need electronic device to communicate remotely and to read news. The rest is just unnecessary addition.

Oh and for the record did you know that AI is now on the level that you could be socializing with... a robotic person that does not exist? I keep forgetting that people nowadays seem to treat it as normal thing giving it even chance to make decisions for human. Facebook also published AI written articles that were fake.

Nobody needs to look for any replacement platform. In Russia, they banned Linked in like almost 10 years ago for not using infrastructure (servers) in Russia. Do you think people there care? While LinkedIn brings much value, Facebook/Meta does not.
    I, personally, don't give a hoot for social media but I'm not part of the Instageneration. There would be massive demand for a new ’Facebook'.

I use WhatsApp for convenience but also use Viber, Signal and Telegram.

I use Twitter passively to keep myself informed of transport delays but if Twitter didn't exist, I'd use an alternative system.

GMS and HMS but only for the essentials.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 33
    MplsP said:
    Pretty much everyone I know thinks the world would be a better place without Facebook. Hopefully the EU succeeds!
    No one cares about your friends’ insular worldview. 
    williamlondon