Arm going public after $66 billion Nvidia buy deal falls apart

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    tmay said:
    rezwits said:
    Dang come on NVIDIA, spend the $66 Billion.  Darn we almost had um...  ;)

p.s. and not get a dime of ROI
    Actually, if they create their IPO on a US Stock Exchange, as the article claims, it still is a small win for America, since there is also a Tokyo Stock Exchange.

But, as the United States militarizes its industries and uses them as weapons of (cold) war, this would be a loss to the world.

According to today's America:
    "If it's an American technology, we (the government) gets to determine who has access to it".
    So much for freedom.  So much for free markets.   So much for capitalism.  Good-bye!  Nice knowing you!
    LOL!

Always looking out for your authoritarian pals...

In this case, the authoritarians are us, the United States -- using technology (and the financial system we control) as a weapon to enable us to dictate to other countries how they will conduct their business.

That was the chief fear about an American company buying ARM -- that it's technology would no longer be available to all (as it is now)

Our latest authoritarian move?   Telling Germany we won't let them use their natural gas pipeline even while energy prices soar.
    When China is using Western technology to create new generations of weapons, which is a fact, then of course the West has the right and obligation to limit its technology to an adversary.

As for the pipeline, it is exactly as the U.S. portrayed Nordstream 2; a potential for Russia using it as leverage in a future conflict.
    ronn
  • Reply 22 of 32
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    rezwits said:

Actually, if they create their IPO on a US Stock Exchange, as the article claims, it still is a small win for America, since there is also a Tokyo Stock Exchange.

But, as the United States militarizes its industries and uses them as weapons of (cold) war, this would be a loss to the world.

"If it's an American technology, we (the government) gets to determine who has access to it".
    So much for freedom.  So much for free markets.   So much for capitalism.  Good-bye!  Nice knowing you!
    LOL!

In this case, the authoritarians are us, the United States -- using technology (and the financial system we control) as a weapon to enable us to dictate to other countries how they will conduct their business.

That was the chief fear about an American company buying ARM -- that it's technology would no longer be available to all (as it is now)

Our latest authoritarian move?   Telling Germany we won't let them use their natural gas pipeline even while energy prices soar.
    When China is using Western technology to create new generations of weapons, which is a fact, then of course the West has the right and obligation to limit its technology to an adversary.

As for the pipeline, it is exactly as the U.S. portrayed Nordstream 2; a potential for Russia using it as leverage in a future conflict.
    No country owns technology. Calling it Western technology is political propaganda. 
  • Reply 23 of 32
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    rezwits said:

LOL!

No country owns technology. Calling it Western technology is political propaganda. 
    LOL!

So, I'm guessing that China doesn't have any problems acquiring EUV machines from ASML. Oh wait, ASML owns the technology, along with other Western Companies, and efforts primarily by the U.S., and due to the PLA's weapons programs, will keep China from competing with the likes of TSMC, Samsung, and Intel, 
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    rezwits said:

LOL!

LOL!

So, I'm guessing that China doesn't have any problems acquiring EUV machines from ASML. Oh wait, ASML owns the technology, along with other Western Companies, and efforts by the primarily by the U.S., and due to the PLA's weapons programs, will keep China from competing with the likes of TSMC, Samsung, and Intel, 
    US Patent Office grants patents to inventors for a finite number of years. This means the inventor does not own the invention forever. Only copyrights can be owned forever. Poor guy needs me to teach Western value. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 896member
    Apple is probably done with ARM in my mind, they have the road map, with new enhancements that may pop up, but I feel like they are DONE with ARM, and have something that's gonna be "new" in 2030
    i.e. double quad, then shrink enhance, then double quad again, then shrink enhance, then repeat till 2030

Their expert skill is CHANGING and "jumping ship" to what's NeXT, when you are in 1980 and you get a $1,000,000 in funding there's quite a big difference with R&D when you have $20B in 2020+ with a "few"  more engineers with experience.
    What's truly sick that I realized last night is M1, Pro, and Max, are really hybrid chips especially since they are SoC, the are basically "hybrid" RISC+CISC chips, IDK what's next but I am sure Apple is POISED

My reasoning for the above is:

1. Apple didn't even blink, at the sale of ARM holdings.
    2. ARM holdings wanted/asked to be sold.
    3. NVIDIA said "we're" out too, so...
    4. In 2030, ARM will basically be 30 year old TECH/ARCH, which I really don't see Apple being as dumb as Intel and sticking with this "FOREVER"

p.s. I understand ARM has new releases like V9, etc but come on it's over, as far as "The Future."  There will be a 10 year M1-M9 Footprint, but after 2030 most likely a WHOOOOLE new ARCH, that Apple will simply migrate the OSes too, and that's another reason why Apple will succeed because because of THIS "agility"...
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    rezwits said:
    Apple is probably done with ARM in my mind, they have the road map, with new enhancements that may pop up, but I feel like they are DONE with ARM, and have something that's gonna be "new" in 2030
    i.e. double quad, then shrink enhance, then double quad again, then shrink enhance, then repeat till 2030

Their expert skill is CHANGING and "jumping ship" to what's NeXT, when you are in 1980 and you get a $1,000,000 in funding there's quite a big difference with R&D when you have $20B in 2020+ with a "few"  more engineers with experience.
    What's truly sick that I realized last night is M1, Pro, and Max, are really hybrid chips especially since they are SoC, the are basically "hybrid" RISC+CISC chips, IDK what's next but I am sure Apple is POISED

My reasoning for the above is:

1. Apple didn't even blink, at the sale of ARM holdings.
    2. ARM holdings wanted/asked to be sold.
    3. NVIDIA said "we're" out too, so...
    4. In 2030, ARM will basically be 30 year old TECH/ARCH, which I really don't see Apple being as dumb as Intel and sticking with this "FOREVER"

p.s. I understand ARM has new releases like V9, etc but come on it's over, as far as "The Future."  There will be a 10 year M1-M9 Footprint, but after 2030 most likely a WHOOOOLE new ARCH, that Apple will simply migrate the OSes too, and that's another reason why Apple will succeed because because of THIS "agility"...
    LOL SO by 2030 M16 Max will be the size of MacBook Pro. LOL
    rezwits
  • Reply 27 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rezwits said:

I read your post three times and was unable to determine how it relates to my comment or what you even mean. Can you speak more plainly in the future?

Were you not aware that part of the fear with NVIDIA was that, once ARM was controlled by an American company that it would also then be controlled by the American government to threaten and intimidate other countries and companies -- just as we have done with other  so called "American technologies"?
    I think you’re confusing America and China. The CPC has an iron grip over everything Chinese companies do or create, and can mandate compliance in any way they see fit. This is different than the US where the constitution affords more protections. (Export controls are a slightly different matter.)

Your continual China/CPC whitewashing can’t change this. 

The U.S. government, in its Nationalist zeal since 2016, has weaponized U.S. technology and its corporations .  It now tells "our" companies what they can buy and sell along with who they can and cannot sell to or buy from.

That sounds like control to me.

edited February 2022
  • Reply 28 of 32
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,695member
    rezwits said:

I read your post three times and was unable to determine how it relates to my comment or what you even mean. Can you speak more plainly in the future?

Were you not aware that part of the fear with NVIDIA was that, once ARM was controlled by an American company that it would also then be controlled by the American government to threaten and intimidate other countries and companies -- just as we have done with other  so called "American technologies"?
    But the FTC is part of the American government and as such it was the American government that STOPPED this deal. Yet you were arguing, and always argue, that the American government is evil because it wants control of everything. But this case proves the exact opposite of your claims. This is why I don't understand your point.
    tmayronn
  • Reply 29 of 32
    rezwits said:

I think you’re confusing America and China. The CPC has an iron grip over everything Chinese companies do or create, and can mandate compliance in any way they see fit. This is different than the US where the constitution affords more protections. (Export controls are a slightly different matter.)

The U.S. government, in its Nationalist zeal since 2016, has weaponized U.S. technology and its corporations .  It now tells "our" companies what they can buy and sell along with who they can and cannot sell to or buy from.

Please reassure me and the rest of the Western world that China's militarization won't take advantage of those same Western technologies that have been restricted from sale to China.

Take your time.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,448member
    rezwits said:

Well before 2016 remember Apple couldn’t ship the G4 mac tower internationally for several months as US regulation considered it a military grade super computer. :wink: 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rezwits said:

But the FTC is part of the American government and as such it was the American government that STOPPED this deal. Yet you were arguing, and always argue, that the American government is evil because it wants control of everything. But this case proves the exact opposite of your claims. This is why I don't understand your point.

You overstep your case when you suggest it was only the American government opposed to this.  Yes, one agency may have been.   But it wasn't that agency others throughout the world were worried about.  

As I said:  the U.S. has established a track record of militarizing its industrial and financial systems to conduct war against others.   Why would others want to load more bullets in its gun?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    mjtomlin said:
    lorca2770 said:

Just a question, since time makes me forget. Wasn’t Arm developed by Apple, and Steve Jobs sold the company in the times of necessity? Careful! I am not talking about the false narrative of Microsoft. Only about Arm

No. The modern ARM architecture was a joint venture between, Acorn (ISA, design), VLSI (fabrication), and Apple (money)… Apple wanted an efficient mobile chip for the Newton.

Makes you wonder why Apple didn’t just buy Acorn and use their CPUs instead of switching to PowerPC?
    That last line is a joke right?  The Apple of 1990s was a pipsqueek in the computer industry—had NO services which it offered consumers—and had no personal consumer devices which all combined has created this world bending, multinational financial behemoth you see today.  In NoWay could afford to buy Acorn, but this 3-way partnership could lessen the overall cost while still getting them the part they needed.  Creating ARM wasn’t expensive, and by-the-way neither was the PowerPC Alliance.  They just turned out in the end to be equally ineffective.
    watto_cobra