Apple to significantly increase retail worker benefits in April

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2022
Apple is planning on increasing its benefits for Apple Store employees across the U.S., including adding sick time and vacation days, in an effort to attract and retain retail workers.

Apple The Grove in L.A.
Apple The Grove in L.A.

The plan to bolster its benefits comes amid a tough labor market and the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. According to Bloomberg, the changes will apply to both full-time and part-time employees at the company's 270 U.S. retail locations.

Both full- and part-time employees will receive double the paid sick days, which can also be used for mental health leave and taking family members to the doctor. Full-time workers will now get 12 paid sick days instead of six.

In addition, Apple is giving retail staff more annual vacation days starting at three years of employment instead of five.

Part-time Apple retail workers will now get up to six paid vacation days. They'll also receive parental leave that covers up to six weeks and includes the option to gradually ramp up work in the first four weeks back.

Lastly, Apple is also granting access to discounted emergency care for children or elderly family members.

An Apple spokesperson confirmed the changes to Bloomberg, adding that they have been in development for "several months."

The new Apple retail worker benefits are slated to take effect in the U.S. starting on Monday, April 4, 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Good on Apple. 
    gregoriusmbaconstangiOS_Guy80jas99tyler82
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Supply and demand Capitalism at work. It’s an employee market right now and employers are being forced,  but not by government regulators, to offer more pay and benefits to attract and retain qualified workers. There’s nothing altruistic about what Apple is doing. The pressure of the labor market is at play and Apple is doing what it has to to keep the retail stores open and functioning.
    patchythepiratenotafan289muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I still can’t believe how bad your working rights are in the US. In the UK everyone, no matter the company gets 6 weeks paid vacation. Sick pay depends on the company. Minimum is £75 a week, with (I think) no time limit. But of course if your long term sick you could be asked to leave as you are not fit to work. To name but a few. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 9
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    pichael said:
    I still can’t believe how bad your working rights are in the US. In the UK everyone, no matter the company gets 6 weeks paid vacation. Sick pay depends on the company. Minimum is £75 a week, with (I think) no time limit. But of course if your long term sick you could be asked to leave as you are not fit to work. To name but a few. 
    Who can live off £75 a week? When you see sick time talked about in the US that means 100% of your normal pay. Same with vacation time. 

Many states also mandate things like sick days/paid time off at the state level. If what the state mandates is higher than a company offers the company must offer that to employees in that state. These types of company policies are aimed at workers in states with no mandates. 
    notafan289
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I worked in Apple Retail in Australia for about 6months back in 2017. 
    I’ve always been and still am a big fan, however the working conditions (pay rate, roster) made it intolerable. Never having 2 consecutive days off, rarely having a weekend day off, minimum pay rates, and of course the famous no sales commission because “we don’t encourage sales, we encourage you to repair relationships”

The staff discounts were miserable, and quantity limited. 

I love The Credo, and they do live and breath that, however it lacks the “human” essence to it. 
    Maybe I’m just not cut out for retail work. But I have new found respect for the apple retail employees ! 
    Any extras they get, I’m all for it!! 
    patchythepirateAlex_V
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Good for Apple! For too long companies have short changed the Workers. America has some of the worst workers benefits of all the top countries. 
    tyler82Alex_V
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Here in New Zealand, 4 weeks holiday pay, 10 days sick leave, 26 weeks paid parental leave and and additional 26 weeks unpaid, bereavement leave etc.
    You would have anarchy if any government tried to remove them.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Here in New Zealand, 4 weeks holiday pay, 10 days sick leave, 26 weeks paid parental leave and and additional 26 weeks unpaid, bereavement leave etc.
    Simpletons don’t realize there is always a trade off when benefits are too generous because the costs are invisible. If fewer jobs are created in New Zealand because the benefits are too generous, or it’s too difficult to fire someone, then the unskilled worker loses out. Your system is great for the privileged; not great for people trying to gain experience. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 212member
    Simpletons don’t realize there is always a trade off when benefits are too generous because the costs are invisible. If fewer jobs are created in New Zealand because the benefits are too generous, or it’s too difficult to fire someone, then the unskilled worker loses out. Your system is great for the privileged; not great for people trying to gain experience. 

Spare us the free-market fundamentalism propagated by your ‘neo-libertarian’ overlords. (Nothing to do with true libertarianism.) All you need to say is, “I’m drunk on US Republican Party cool-aid.”—we’ll understand. Whatever pathetic rights and inadequate wages that workers around the world enjoy today is down to centuries of countless people fighting against overwhelming odds (capital and state power), then being ostracised, insulted, beaten, shot, brutalised, murdered. Deny this, and you deny history. Power concedes nothing without a fight. And we see in the US since Reagan, that no sooner have you won a concession than they steal it back.
    muthuk_vanalingamMac4mac