New iOS 15.4 beta fixes bug that stored Siri recordings even if users opted out

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has found and fixed a bug that had sent users' voice recordings to Apple, even if users had opted out of improving Siri and dictation.

The bug surfaced in iOS 15, turning on the option to share Siri and dictation recordings with Apple, even if a user had previously opted out. This resulted in users' Siri queries and voice dictation messages being stored and shared with Apple.

When Apple released iOS 15.2, Apple had switched off the setting for many Siri users and now assures users that the erroneous recordings are being deleted.

Now, with the advent of the second developer betas of iOS 15.4, Apple has fixed the bug. Apple explained the issue in a quote to ZDNet:
"With iOS 15.2, we turned off the Improve Siri & Dictation setting for many Siri users while we fixed a bug introduced with iOS 15. This bug inadvertently enabled the setting for a small portion of devices. Since identifying the bug, we stopped reviewing and are deleting audio received from all affected devices."
When updating to the beta of iOS 15.4, many users will find that they'll be asked if they want to opt-in to the program again.

Apple seeded the second developer beta for iOS 15.4 on Tuesday. Face ID has been updated to offer two versions to consumers. Face ID can be set to work while a user wears a mask, as a slightly less secure alternative to the regular version.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I just saw an Amazon Alexa commercial with Scarlett Johansson and her husband. Really cute. Amazon is taking advantage of Apple’s lack of  attention to Siri more and more every day. Not just pricing. Alexa is truly eating Siri’s  lunch. Every day Apple is adding “features” such as unintentional opt in, and taking away features that we’d like to have back, like searching photos. As someone with over 9000 photos that feature really helped me, but now if I ask for photos it just opens up the app.