Apple AR headset to run 'realityOS,' come with App Store

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
References to a "realityOS" have been found in App Store upload logs, confirming previous rumors of the name and that apps will be available.

As long ago as 2017, Apple was said to be working on what was then called "rOS." Five years on, newly discovered references to a "realityOS" have been found by developers in Apple code.

Developer Steve Troughton-Smith is among many who have spotted the various code references. He concludes that not only is "realityOS" the name, but that it is a separate OS, and that it comes with a simulator for developers.

"#if TARGET_FEATURE_REALITYOS"

Well then. This at least confirms it 1) has its own OS & binaries, and 2) has a realityOS Simulator https://t.co/6a25kWshXR pic.twitter.com/RyF5O5gFjg

— Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith)
When references to "rOS" were first found, it was expected that Apple could introduce an Apple AR headset by 2020. More recently, late 2022 has been predicted, but even that is likely to slip back as Apple is reportedly finding hardware and software snags.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,298member
    I might be reading too much into it, but “reality” connotes a device aimed at helping people to better access and understand objective reality, NOT a device designed to escape or distort reality. So, more like a pair of prescription bifocals, less like novelty rose colored glasses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    blastdoor said:
    I might be reading too much into it, but “reality” connotes a device aimed at helping people to better access and understand objective reality, NOT a device designed to escape or distort reality. So, more like a pair of prescription bifocals, less like novelty rose colored glasses.
    It seems like it's a reference to the common term across augmented reality, virtual reality and mixed reality. This OS should allow for all of these experiences. Out of context, removing the first terms removes the meaning from the descriptor but people will always see it in context. The word "reality" is most often used these days in reference to AR/VR/MR.
    muthuk_vanalingamcanukstormdk49watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Marvin said:

The word "reality" is most often used these days in reference to AR/VR/MR.
    You think?  My money would be on it most often used in reference to, y'know, reality.

Meanwhile, in reality...
    blastdoor
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I agree with @Marvin, the "reality" in this case is in reference to XR - the catch all term for spatial experiences including augmented, virtual, and mixed reality.  
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,298member
    Marvin said:
    blastdoor said:
    It seems like it's a reference to the common term across augmented reality, virtual reality and mixed reality. This OS should allow for all of these experiences. Out of context, removing the first terms removes the meaning from the descriptor but people will always see it in context. The word "reality" is most often used these days in reference to AR/VR/MR.
    Sure, could be. But I can imagine that another company might deliberately make a different choice to emphasize the non-reality aspect, for example 'metaOS' 

Emphasizing the 'reality' part seems consistent with Apple's preference for making productive/creative tools, as in 'bicycle for the mind.' Also, check out this story: 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/09/apple-doesnt-want-headset-to-become-an-all-day-device-for-users

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    This happens so often. Apple's products are leaked through its code. I wonder why Apple hasn't already learnt its lesson and have strict checks on their code before making it public? Especially given their otherwise super secretive philosophy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    dk49 said:
    This happens so often. Apple's products are leaked through its code. I wonder why Apple hasn't already learnt its lesson and have strict checks on their code before making it public? Especially given their otherwise super secretive philosophy. 
    If it wasn’t for leaks, what would people wrote about.

Actually, there are as many rumors about Apple as conspiracy theories about Covid. Facts never stopped anyone. 
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Another App Store from Apple. Wonder if this one will end up being popular, or whether it’ll end up in Apple’s App Store graveyard along with the TV App Store, Mac App Store, Watch App Store, and iMessage App Store. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I've read through the article twice now and I see no place where it says anything about a realityOS AppStore. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Love how Apple keeps it real (no pun intended) 

though this is just based on leaks, it’s already a more solid vision than “meta.”

Facebook is making the historical Microsoft mistake: broadcast a vision of nerd future with nerd speak and impractical use cases where everyone’s life is locked up in their digital cage. 

Enter Apple: look at real organic life and find ways to make it practically better and more fun at the same time. 

It’s always been this way snd looks to continue. 

That said, this being in the code sounds like a wwdc announcement is imminent. 

watto_cobra