AirTag determined to be lesser of surveillance evils in tracking test

Posted:
in General Discussion
A New York Times privacy reporter has tested the accuracy and anti-stalking features of the AirTag -- and some of its competitors -- by hiding the trackers in her husband's belongings.

Putting Apple's anti-stalking features to the test
Putting Apple's anti-stalking features to the test

AirTag has been under a lot of scrutiny due to its relatively low cost and vast Find My network. However, it is the only tracker on the market that actively tries to alert others to its presence.

Kashmir Hill, reporting for the New York Times, used her husband as a guinea pig to test out the reliability of this claim. With his permission, she placed an AirTag, a LandAirSea GPS tracker, and a Tile in various places her husband may not discover.

The most accurate and active tracking device was the LandAirSea tracker. It uses a $20 per month plan to track position via GPS and satellite and update its location every three minutes. There are even geofencing modes to update users every time it changes location.

Hill attributed this accuracy to where they live. A GPS tracker will have more luck pinging a satellite in a less dense area, and AirTag and Tile need to ping local devices over Bluetooth.

Her husband was alerted to the presence of the AirTag on some occasions but locating it was a different matter. He struggled to get it to connect to his iPhone to use precision tracking or play a sound. When it did connect, the sound didn't have a distinguishable direction, so he gave up searching.

The Tile tracker rarely, if ever, updated its location since it relied heavily on its dedicated network. AirTag could update any time it got a signal from her husband's phone or a passerby.

On a trip to New York City, Hill could track her husband with scary accuracy due to the density of Apple products wandering around in people's pockets. She was able to tell a hired photographer where her husband was at any moment.

A photographer hired by Hill stalked her husband using AirTag. Image credit: NYT
A photographer hired by Hill stalked her husband using AirTag. Image credit: NYT

Hill rarely mentioned the Tile tracker, presumably because its accuracy was wanting. However, the LandAirSea tracker was the most nefarious product.

She contacted the makers of the LandAirSea tracker to get some details about the product. It was meant for use as a tracker for airplanes, but the company was aware of the stalker use case.

"It's certainly something that comes up," a LandAirSea representative told Hill. "People call in, and they're like, 'I found this on my car. What are you going to do about it?'"

The company sells about 15,000 trackers per month and is served about 30 subpoenas per year to determine the owners of potentially malicious trackers. Like Apple, LandAirSea urges people to report discovered trackers to the police.

Tile, AirTag, and the LandAirSea GPS tracker
Tile, AirTag, and the LandAirSea GPS tracker

"For all the bad press the AirTags have gotten, and as flaky as the detection mechanisms were, at least I was consistently getting notifications they were following me," Hill's husband said. "The privacy dangers of the other trackers were way worse."

Apple is aware of the concerns surrounding AirTag and has announced new measures to help prevent stalking and misuse. It will continue to tweak the algorithm around tracking notifications and educate owners about the illegal nature of stalking.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    The results aren't surprising in the least, but I'm glad to see that someone tested this.

I hadn't heard about t the LandAirSea tracker. That may be a good fit for me. The purchase price is low but I'm not sold on the $20 /month service fee.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Xed said:
    The results aren't surprising in the least, but I'm glad to see that someone tested this.

I hadn't heard about t the LandAirSea tracker. That may be a good fit for me. The purchase price is low but I'm not sold on the $20 /month service fee.
    Cheap if you have an expensive airplane. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Xed said:

The $20 a month is for three minute updates if you pay monthly. If you prepay for two years you get a 50% discount. For more frequent updates it costs more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    So once again Apple devices are superior. 

Apple has thought through the nuances of the use case and found an optimal solution. 

Apple has no competition. 
    lolliverlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    We need a way to put AirTags in catalytic converters!
    lkruppwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Xed said:

I'm even more glad to see someone reporting this.
    I am tired of one-sided, fear & outrage inducing stories that only report those facts that support its goals and agenda.  It's essentially "lying by telling part of the truth".

But regardless, Apple has already been smeared by that technique and, in many people's minds, their AirTag will remain the epitome of evil.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So first came the hysteria, the handwringing, the alleged evilness. AirTags were going to revolutionize stalking. It was all over the tech blog universe. Now, hallelujah, AirTags are less evil than originally surmised and the topic will fade into obscurity like so many others. Remember the AirTag battery scandal? AirTag batteries were too easy to remove and children were going to for injured for sure. I believe Australian regulators even issued a dire warning to parents. So where’s that controversy these days?
    edited February 2022 jony0
  • Reply 8 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    So first came the hysteria, the handwringing, the alleged evilness. AirTags were going to revolutionize stalking. It was all over the tech blog universe. Now, hallelujah, AirTags are less evil than originally surmised and the topic will fade into obscurity like so many others. Remember the AirTag battery scandal? AirTag batteries were too easy to remove and children were going to for injured for sure. I believe Australian regulators even issued a dire warning to parents. So where’s that controversy these days?
    Less evil than their competitors.  Rank any three evil people and one of them will be the least evil.  Doesn't mean you want to invite them round for dinner.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 9 of 11
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    Less evil than their competitors.  Rank any three evil people and one of them will be the least evil.  Doesn't mean you want to invite them round for dinner.
    If you did at least you know where the AirTag and LandSeaAir devices were. Tile could be rifling through your medicine cabinet without your knowledge.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mvcl said:
    I own a camper which I want to be able to track in case it's stolen. I do not want the thieves to be alerted my AirTag is in the camper.  Certainly I can disconnect the speaker in the airtag (and have). But if Apple is still going to alert the thieves that the airtag is following them (their new policy implementation), then it's not as good a solution as it had been previously.   
        Shouldn't there be some option for me to certify that I'm not stalking, etc.?
        Or, am I stuck having to use other solutions like LTTE-based GPS trackers?
        And for that matter, shouldn't I be able to protect my car, truck, electric and traditional bikes, etc from being stolen too?
    Airtags were the answer, until Apple changed their implementation for anti-stalking with no option to do otherwise.
    Again, no. They are not to track stolen devices. They were never marketed as such and always had the the anti-stalking feature.

How the fuck can you certify that a device with the same footprint as a quarter will always be used in one regard and never for another. Don't you think a stalker would use your story to say they are using it on their camper for legitimate reasons?

Why make a logical fallacy that asks "shouldn't I be able to protect my car, truck, electric and traditional bikes, etc from being stolen too?" with any answer of "yes" indicating to you that the AirTag should also be usable for stolen items. Maybe you can an ambulance chaser to buy that logic, but you'll be paying plenty up front to cover your BS lawsuit.

AirTags are clearly not the answer for your specific needs Use any of the other trackers out that are cater to people who are wary of getting items stolen.
    edited February 2022 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra