Apple's iPhone 13 is significantly faster than Samsung's latest Galaxy S22

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2022
Although the new Galaxy S22 lineup represents Samsung's latest and greatest, the devices still lag behind Apple's iPhone 13 series series in performance benchmark testing.

Credit: Samsung

Samsung on Feb. 9 unveiled its new stable of Samsung Galaxy S22 devices, including a S22 Ultra model that includes a handful of Galaxy Note-like features. The new Samsung handsets are among the fastest Android devices on the market, but they're still considerably slower than the iPhone.

PCMag recently ran benchmark testing of the new Snapdragon 8 Sen 1 processor that powers the Galaxy S22s and compared its performance to other popular Android devices, as well as Apple's iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Credit: PCMag

A Galaxy S22 Ultra equipped with the device achieved a Geekbench single-core score of 1,232 and a multi-core score of 3,433. It also nabbed a Geekbench ML machine learning score of 448.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max with an A15 Bionic came in with a single-core score of 1,735 and 4,647 in the same testing. Apple's handset achieved a machine learning score of 948.

In other words, the Geekbench testing suggests that Apple's smartphone performance lead is still considerable. And, with a new A16 Bionic chip on the horizon, it's likely that Apple's devices will remain the fastest smartphones on the market for some time.

Apple devices routinely outpace similarly spec'd Android models in benchmark testing. That's the case even if an Android device has a lot more RAM on paper. Largely, that's because of Apple's expertise in silicon design, but it's also because Apple is also to exercise more control over both its hardware and software.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    It’s really no surprise how a Samsung phone is still slower than an iPhone.  Companies can’t compete with Apple especially with processors since they don’t make the whole phone. It’s like Samsung devices are like a pie and so many people have their hands in that pie it just messes it all up and makes it unclean and unappetizing.  Samsung, google, Microsoft, Qualcomm and network providers all seem to have at least one hand creating that phone either with software or hardware of some sort. I don’t like to use a device that does not seem pure.  Apple devices seem like they are one device pure in form and pleasing to use. I use a Samsung phone for work and I dislike it from the button of my heart. It is way to slow and I don’t care for the under screen finger print reader either. Face ID is way more secure, fast and can work in many different types of environments.
    patchythepiratejas99Alex_Vqwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 23
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    And doesn't it cost $100 more?
    jas99watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    BREAKING NEWS

Knockoffs are cheap imitations of original products!!
    jas99sdw2001qwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 23
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    But what about power consumption? For a mobile device that’s as important a benchmark as raw compute performance.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 5 of 23
    y2an said:
    But what about power consumption? For a mobile device that’s as important a benchmark as raw compute performance.
    That's a different series of tests and with the variation of different core types it's a bit harder to gauge, but I'd wager that for your average given task that iPhone 13 Max uses less power than the Galaxy S22 Ultra.
    jas99qwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Want to know just how bad the new Exynos and Snapdragon are?

They're on the latest 4nm node. They’re using the latest & greatest ARM cores (X2, A710, A510). The stars have aligned letting them have all the best possible technology available together at the same time.

And they still get trounced by the A15. In fact, the A14 easily beats them both and the A13 offers about 95% of the performance.

Apple is literally 2 years ahead.
    jas99patchythepiratewilliamlondonAlex_VtmayMisterKitqwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Although the new Galaxy S22 lineup represents Samsung's latest and greatest, the devices still lag behind Apple's iPhone 13 series series in performance benchmark testing.

Samsung on Feb. 9 unveiled its new stable of Samsung Galaxy S22 devices, including a S22 Ultra model that includes a handful of Galaxy Note-like features. The new Samsung handsets are among the fastest Android devices on the market, but they're still considerably slower than the iPhone.

PCMag recently ran benchmark testing of the new Snapdragon 8 Sen 1 processor that powers the Galaxy S22s and compared its performance to other popular Android devices, as well as Apple's iPhone 13 Pro Max.

A Galaxy S22 Ultra equipped with the device achieved a Geekbench single-core score of 1,232 and a multi-core score of 3,433. It also nabbed a Geekbench ML machine learning score of 448.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max with an A15 Bionic came in with a single-core score of 1,735 and 4,647 in the same testing. Apple's handset achieved a machine learning score of 948.

In other words, the Geekbench testing suggests that Apple's smartphone performance lead is still considerable. And, with a new A16 Bionic chip on the horizon, it's likely that Apple's devices will remain the fastest smartphones on the market for some time.

Apple devices routinely outpace similarly spec'd Android models in benchmark testing. That's the case even if an Android device has a lot more RAM on paper. Largely, that's because of Apple's expertise in silicon design, but it's also because Apple is also to exercise more control over both its hardware and software.

Read on AppleInsider
    That’s why Samsung pushed to an so hard. Too bad it’s lame and no one wants it. Plus, it isn’t s stellar performer. Beyond that, the CPUs they use just don’t keep up with Apples CPUs. 

It’s amazing how far Apple has come snd how successful they are in spite of an entire industry that wants to take them down. 
    jas99patchythepiratewilliamlondonBeatsqwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Perhaps they can boost those numbers again by using a "benchmark mode" cheat like they, and others have been caught doing.
    Beatsqwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Ok, I get the bragging rights… but all these phones are blazingly fast. I have a 12 Pro and I never found myself wishing for a faster processor. However, I sure wish I had more than a 12 MP camera, good as it may be.
    retrogustowilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Somehow, my iPhone 13 Max Pro 1TB and iWatch 7 45mm with cell service cost almost half as much a my Leica camera. Last fall the expense crowded $2,130 at list price plus sales taxes. We use the trickle down theory on iPhones so my wife gets the 13 when I get the 14. One of her four daughters gets the 12....

The iWatches are traded in. I do get the military 10% discount, but it still is a significant cash flow.

We get great photos with the iPhones so the Leica sits in it's case on the shelf. I have the iPhone with me all of the time, just like Steve Jobs said. 

Apple was wise to get to complete vertical integration and have their own processors and can design the iOS or MacOS exactly to their processors and on Apple's time schedule.

The copy cats using off the shelf parts from a myriad of vendors can not really expect to get the total performance that custom silicone provides.
    Alex_VBeatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 23
    hucom2000 said:
    Ok, I get the bragging rights… but all these phones are blazingly fast. I have a 12 Pro and I never found myself wishing for a faster processor.
    I generally agree, but I bet there are scenarios where processor power may be more helpful than it would appear. The computational photography and video stuff is really impressive and probably wouldn’t be as good with lesser processors, same is true for on-device Siri transcription. They’re still too slow to run some older apps smoothly—I have one app that I use daily that ran faster on my 2011 iPad 2 than it does on my current hardware, although I know this isn’t purely a hardware issue. And the autocorrect suggestions can’t really keep up with my not-so-fast typing, so the words switch around just as I’m about to tap them, resulting in frequent errors and frustration. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    At this rate, it will take Samsung several more years to simply catch up with the iPhone 13. They have not been able to break out of their performance curve. This is alarming because competition is good for the industry as a whole (including Apple) but other ARM makers are falling behind badly. Hopefully NVIDIA can work some magic with their ARM processors.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I wish the 12 Pro Max were included in these benchmark tests as well. It probably would’ve beaten the S-22 as well, or at the very least matched it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    At this rate, it will take Samsung several more years to simply catch up with the iPhone 13. They have not been able to break out of their performance curve. This is alarming because competition is good for the industry as a whole (including Apple) but other ARM makers are falling behind badly. Hopefully NVIDIA can work some magic with their ARM processors.
    They'll have to far exceed Apple's YoY increase in performance to even catch up and I don't see them doing that.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    hucom2000 said:
    Ok, I get the bragging rights… but all these phones are blazingly fast. I have a 12 Pro and I never found myself wishing for a faster processor. However, I sure wish I had more than a 12 MP camera, good as it may be.
    There is a limit to how much photo quality you can squeeze out of these phone cameras and that limit is the size of the image sensors. Pro photographers know this very well. The image sensors of the phone cameras are so small that increasing the pixel count can create photos that are not as good as photos that have fewer pixels. That may sound paradoxical to people who don't understand what can affect a camera performance, but this has been very well known among pro photographers for many years. At the same time, increasing the pixel count can sap more CPU resources, which can drain the battery faster, just to get dubious benefits. Considering the small sizes of the image sensors in the phone cameras, I think 12MP is just right for the best quality photos. If you want to get the true benefits of higher pixel count, you really need to get the top-end full-frame (DSLR or mirrorless) cameras made by Canon, Nikon, and Sony. The phone cameras simply cannot compare to these dedicated cameras for the highest-quality photos with the greatest amount of details. On the other hand, the phones are much lighter and easier to carry than these dedicated cameras, which is why even many pros use phone cameras when they are out and about just taking personal photos.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

“Competition is good”
    is a myth. When Apple invented the iPhone they didn’t think of making a better Blackberry or a skinnier flip phone. Copying does NOT create innovation. Innovation creates innovation.

Samsung DOES NOT push Apple to make a faster iPhone 14. Apple and it’s needs push Apple to make a faster iPhone 14. Apple Watch and AirPods are a testament to that.

Like that Ford quote
    ”If I asked what people wanted they would have said faster horses.”
    williamlondonXed9secondkox2qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    My Hasellblad medium format camera took stunning photos and a face the size of my index finger nail on the negative could produce a full quality natural size (8 x 12) photo of the lady. However, portability was not a part of their marketing claims. I think my case was close to 50 pounds with several bodies and the fantastic lenses from Zeiss.

And results were delayed until the film was developed.....

My digital Leica took great photos in Africa but we were in a vehicle so the size was not an issue. We also took lots of iPhone photos that turned out great as well.

One might think the iPhone could disappear when Apple starts putting 5G modems in their laptops and larger cameras in the iPads that have the space for bigger lenses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ApplePoor said:
    My Hasellblad medium format camera took stunning photos and a face the size of my index finger nail on the negative could produce a full quality natural size (8 x 12) photo of the lady. However, portability was not a part of their marketing claims. I think my case was close to 50 pounds with several bodies and the fantastic lenses from Zeiss.

And results were delayed until the film was developed.....

My digital Leica took great photos in Africa but we were in a vehicle so the size was not an issue. We also took lots of iPhone photos that turned out great as well.

One might think the iPhone could disappear when Apple starts putting 5G modems in their laptops and larger cameras in the iPads that have the space for bigger lenses.
    Maybe when the watch has all that. 

An oh one is a lot more convenient than the iPad for photos snd quick usage. A watch is even more convenient but not for photos. 

But AR glasses? Probably the best of all worlds - except you look like a little creepy. But once everyone is used to it, no problem. When smartphone cameras proliferated, people freaked out. But they got used to it. 

Glasses covers a lot of iPhone, watch, and iPad bases. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    The S22 Ultra's 10x optical zoom is pretty desirable. I am looking forward to seeing what Apple can do with prism optics.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Xed said:
    They'll have to far exceed Apple's YoY increase in performance to even catch up and I don't see them doing that.
    I meant catch up with the iPhone 13 not the current year's iPhone. By the time Samsung catches the iPhone 13, Apple will be even further ahead. Unless something major changes at ARM or Qualcomm, they will never catch up with Apple based on the performance curves.
    watto_cobra