Apple executives may need to testify in DoJ's Google search lawsuit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2022
Apple's senior executives may play a part in the Justice Department's lawsuit against Google, with management set to become the subject of depositions ahead of the search giant's trial.

The Department of Justice filed an antitrust lawsuit against Google in October 2020, claiming the tech giant had abused its power over the internet search industry. In preparation for a trial, it seems that Apple's leadership will be featuring in part of the lawsuit.

Speaking for Apple at a pre-trial hearing on Friday, Steven Sunshine told the court that the DoJ had asked for depositions from Apple's "most senior executives," reports Reuters. However, Sunshine also admitted it wasn't clear what exactly the DoJ actually wanted from Apple.

The lawsuit concerns attempts by Google to maintain its position as the dominant search company, using arrangements with device and software vendors to ensure it is the default search option offered to consumers.

In the case of Apple, Google has reportedly paid the company billions to maintain its default search position in Safari for iOS. While analysts reckon the payments were in the region of $15 billion for 2021, neither Google nor Apple have disclosed any details of the deal.

A trial date has now been set for the lawsuit of September 12, 2023.

The DoJ is conducting multiple probes into both Google and Apple over alleged antitrust activity. However, in December, funding worries connected to the Build Back Better social spending bill delayed discussions in filing further antitrust complaints until March or later.

The complaint from the DoJ isn't the only one concerning Google's payments to Apple. A class-action lawsuit filed in January alleged U.S. antitrust laws were violated by the payment deal, as Apple allegedly agreed to forego developing its own search engine.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This is a huge waste of taxpayer money. I don't know how in the hell it's Google's fault that people prefer their search engine over the competition. Are they supposed to intentionally make a bad product? there are plenty of free search engines for people to use. Does the Government want to force people against their will to use a search engine they don't prefer? I remember when MySpace was king before they were dethroned by Facebook. Unlike Facebook, it would be very easy and painless to switch search engines. Nobody is being forced to use Google. I actually use Bing quite a bit, but it shouldn't be up to the government. Why does it matter when search engines are free anyway? Nobody is forcing you against your will to use Google.

The government doesn't seem too concerned that we only have one choice when it comes to cable companies, though. Why is that? Cable companies charge crazy high prices and there is nothing you can do about it other than drop cable altogether. Where is the government outrage regarding that? I actually did drop cable television. I use an over the air antenna with a lifetime TiVo subscription. It pays for itself in less than 3 years. I just supplement with Amazon Prime and tv+. I will likely get rid of cable altogether after Starlink becomes more established. Charter Spectrum charges me $75/month for 100Mb/s. Why are politicians not up in arms about cable?   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I don't know how in the hell it's Google's fault that people prefer their search engine over the competition. 
    No-one denied that. The goal of the lawsuit is to proved that Google, with its ultra dominance on search, used its power to kill the competition making deals to stay the first and only choice for consumers (Apple, device makers, ...).
    You want competition for your internet access, the Government would like that with search engines, at least give competitors a chance.
    But you're right, the situation of only one cable company is really bad. In Europe (France for me), we have competition, I pay 18 euros for fiber access 400 down 40 up, no cap,, it was a good deal. 
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    I don't know how in the hell it's Google's fault that people prefer their search engine over the competition.   

Hopefully the DOJ can smack that Google Apple deal out the door, by having such a deal (new/smaller companies), have an even harder time gaining traction in search nor can they gain traction on iOS with Google, Microsoft, and Apple giving away free software, many smaller companies were kneecapped by Apple when Pages, Numbers, and Keynote became free, and the same principle applies to Google giving away their free spyware on iOS.

Smaller developers are hurt more by the free giveaways and special treatments deals between the big companies on iOS, iOS at the beginning was the perfect vehicle for smaller companies to come on line and grow but Apple, Google and Microsoft have spoiled the party…

The gate keeper companies should not be allowed on each other’s platform ie Apple, Google and Microsoft of the three Apple has very little on the other platforms but the others are camped out like fungus on Apple's platform everywhere to the detriment of smaller developers. The EU and DOJ should work on that.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 4 of 4
    laurent_g said:
    No-one denied that. The goal of the lawsuit is to proved that Google, with its ultra dominance on search, used its power to kill the competition making deals to stay the first and only choice for consumers (Apple, device makers, ...).
    You want competition for your internet access, the Government would like that with search engines, at least give competitors a chance.
    But you're right, the situation of only one cable company is really bad. In Europe (France for me), we have competition, I pay 18 euros for fiber access 400 down 40 up, no cap,, it was a good deal. 
    On all of my Apple devices, I have changed my default search engine from Google to Duck Duck Go and I have not looked back.

on another note, I am noticing on my iPhone 7 Plus, when scrolling on this Web site Google hijacks my Safari browser to show me an advertisement. There is no way to bypass the advertisement. The hijack does not happen on my other Apple devices which makes me think Google knows of a security flaw and is using it in conjunction with AppleInsider. 
    watto_cobra