Apple Silicon iMac Pro with mini LED display could launch in June, analyst says

Posted:
in macOS edited February 2022
A new iMac Pro with mini LED backlighting and an Apple Silicon chip could arrive by June 2022 instead of later in the summer, according to a display analyst.

iMac Pro render
iMac Pro render

In response to a question about recent regulatory filings, Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants wrote that the mini LED iMac Pro "could launch in June."

MiniLED iMac Pro could launch in June. Some observers said no MiniLEDs, but we hear around 1000 zones and over 4000 miniLEDs.

— Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Young previously predicted a spring launch for the refreshed iMac but pushed that forecast to a summer release. At the time, Young said that panel shipments would begin in June but a debut might not come until August or September.

The analyst's comments Monday suggest that he has received new information that changed his predictions again. A June launch could mean that the new iMac Pro might see an unveiling at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

In addition to the timeline, Young reiterated rumors that the iMac Pro would feature mini LED backlighting, contrary to what some observers are claiming. Young said his firm is hearing reports that the device could sport 1,000 zones and more than 4,000 mini LEDs.

Alongside the switch to mini LED displays, the new iMac Pro will likely sport some type of M1 or "M2" chip and a new design that will bring it in-line with the current 24-inch iMac. The use of the "iMac Pro" moniker also hints at a consolidation of the 27-inch iMac and the iMac Pro lineup.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    edredr Posts: 12member
    Top of my wishlist - built-in power supply. I don't like what they did with the current iMac - "We Don't Need Another Brick in the ... Floor"!
    williamlondonAniMillappleinsideruser9secondkox2
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    edr said:
    Top of my wishlist - built-in power supply. I don't like what they did with the current iMac - "We Don't Need Another Brick in the ... Floor”!
    If the goal is thinness like the 24” iMac then prepare to be disappointed. I don’t give a rat’s ass about where the power supply is. All I care about is the price/performance equation. It’s a stationery desktop so big f’ing deal if the power supply is a brick or inside the case.
    williamlondon9secondkox2patchythepiratedewmetechconcStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 11
    edr said:
    Top of my wishlist - built-in power supply. I don't like what they did with the current iMac - "We Don't Need Another Brick in the ... Floor"!
    Right on. The floor litter power brick needs to go ASAP. Very un-Apple. More like original Xbox. Nasty. 

Put the power supply inside where it belongs. 

Especially with the enclosure space of a 27”. 

If they can put everything including battery behind an iPad screen, they can do this. 
    williamlondonlkruppPrometheu
  • Reply 4 of 11

If they can put everything including battery behind an iPad screen, they can do this. 
    The power supply for the iPad is an external box though.
    williamlondonblastdoorStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Id like to see a 30” imac with the option for what would be the equivalent or better of 128ram would be, and/or pro tower that could wipe the floor clean from anything from the amd or intel side for graphics and video production/rendering times 
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I don't care how thin it is.  I just want to make sure it has sufficient cooling and airflow to run the device at peak performance without having to throttle.  We can see that the M1 Max chips in the new MacBook Air are throttled for a peak of about 90 watts.  I don't want that limitation in a desktop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    techconc said:
    I don't care how thin it is.  I just want to make sure it has sufficient cooling and airflow to run the device at peak performance without having to throttle.  We can see that the M1 Max chips in the new MacBook Air are throttled for a peak of about 90 watts.  I don't want that limitation in a desktop.
    That's not throttling. That's designing the system to operate at 90 Watts, given all the constraints and features they want.

Kind of funny. Throttling in regular, non-computer parlance is just opening or closing the throttle to allow more or less fuel into an engine. It's a term without negative connotations. You throttle-up to go faster. Throttle-down to go slower. In computers, when you hear throttling, it's all negative consequences. It just means throttling-down. I guess Intel's "turbo" branding has taken over the "throttle-up" meaning, but with computer software being so single-thread dominant, it just became the normal way a chip operates. Then, their 10nm fab mess effectively made running Intel chips at turbo clocks longer or unlocked necessary, and the corresponding doubling or tripling of Watts consumed, as the only means of getting real increased performance. When the chip runs at base clock performance, the way the chip is designed to operate, it is seen as "throttled".

Anyways, we all want Apple to put as much compute performance as possible in the large iMac. Using the M1 Max isn't going to be enough and won't be enough of a performance improvement over the Xeon 12+ core, Radeon Pro 64 iMac Pro or a 10c Core whatever it is, 5700XT iMac 5K. They really need to have this rumored M1 Max Duo. It will require about 200 W, plus whatever is needed for the storage, display and ports. So, a 300 W machine like the current one, but will have 2x the performance all around. A 11 to 15 mm thick large display iMac has plenty of volume to accommodate 300 W. It's really just a matter of "want" and the product marketing team knowing what customers want.
    StrangeDaysfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tht said:
    That's not throttling. That's designing the system to operate at 90 Watts, given all the constraints and features they want.

We can call it "pre-throttling", a "performance governor", etc.  Either way, the M1 Max isn't running at capacity on the MacBook Pro models.  This is particularly evident with the GPU.   At the very least, I want an M1 Max with no such limitations.

Anyways, we all want Apple to put as much compute performance as possible in the large iMac. Using the M1 Max isn't going to be enough and won't be enough of a performance improvement over the Xeon 12+ core, Radeon Pro 64 iMac Pro or a 10c Core whatever it is, 5700XT iMac 5K. They really need to have this rumored M1 Max Duo. It will require about 200 W, plus whatever is needed for the storage, display and ports. So, a 300 W machine like the current one, but will have 2x the performance all around. A 11 to 15 mm thick large display iMac has plenty of volume to accommodate 300 W. It's really just a matter of "want" and the product marketing team knowing what customers want.
    Just looking at the Apple store configurations now.  The most I can choose is a 10 core CPU (Core i9) with AMD 5700xt.  The only real advantage is that the Intel iMac can be configured to 128 GB memory.  Otherwise, a standard M1 Max beats that configuration.  To your point, I've seen the rumors and also hope there is a dual M1 Max option, but I don't think there "needs" to be that option to be an upgrade over the current model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    techconc said:
    Even Intel machines throttle the CPU based on temperature. Articles about it. Thermal constraint is always a factor.
    patchythepiratewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    techconc said:
    Even Intel machines throttle the CPU based on temperature. Articles about it. Thermal constraint is always a factor.
    Hence "sufficient cooling and airflow"?
    muthuk_vanalingamtechconc
  • Reply 11 of 11
    edr said:
    Right on. The floor litter power brick needs to go ASAP. Very un-Apple. More like original Xbox. Nasty. 

Put the power supply inside where it belongs. 

Especially with the enclosure space of a 27”. 

Why put the power supply inside the machine and unnecessarily change the entire design of the machine?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra