Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.6.4, macOS Catalina Security Update

Posted:
in macOS
Apple on Monday released macOS 11.6.4, a minor update to macOS Big Sur that contains security fixes, as well as a macOS Catalina Security Update.

macOS Big Sur
macOS Big Sur

According to the company's release notes, macOS Catalina Security Update 2022-002 and macOS Big Sur 11.6.4 both improve the security of macOS. It isn't clear what specific security fixes the new updates on Monday contain, but Apple recommends them for all users.

The updates, which can be downloaded from the Software Update pane in System Preferences, are aimed at users who remain on macOS Big Sur or macOS Catalina.

macOS Big Sur 11.6.4 comes a few days after the release of macOS Monterey 12.2.1, which addressed a flaw in WebKit that could have allowed arbitrary code execution. At the time, Apple says it is aware of a report that the issue may have been actively exploited.

On the same day, Apple released security updates for Safari 15.3 on macOS Big Sur and macOS Catalina that addressed the WebKit vulnerability.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Hmmh, when Monterey 12.2.1 was available I got a Safari-Update on Big Sur which I supposed to contain the WebKit update. Now I am curious what is in 11.6.4 ...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ...speaking of security do customers want iCloud and Apple having a key for data...?
    www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/05/15/how-to-stop-apple-reading-your-imessages-on-your-iphone-ipad-mac/?sh=5e7252737777
    www.theverge.com/2021/11/10/22774873/apple-digital-legacy-program-comes-to-ios15-iphones-macs
    9to5mac.com/2021/08/23/apple-scans-icloud-mail-for-csam/

...and for wishlist 101: how many want 32 bit app support for the substantial investment customers licensed and have meaningfully useful workflows for: https://www.intowindows.com/does-windows-11-support-32-bit-applications/

Let the flames begin...
    edited February 2022 darkvader
  • Reply 3 of 3
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    ...speaking of security do customers want iCloud and Apple having a key for data...?
    www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/05/15/how-to-stop-apple-reading-your-imessages-on-your-iphone-ipad-mac/?sh=5e7252737777
    www.theverge.com/2021/11/10/22774873/apple-digital-legacy-program-comes-to-ios15-iphones-macs
    9to5mac.com/2021/08/23/apple-scans-icloud-mail-for-csam/

...and for wishlist 101: how many want 32 bit app support for the substantial investment customers licensed and have meaningfully useful workflows for: https://www.intowindows.com/does-windows-11-support-32-bit-applications/

Let the flames begin...

Agreed.  I have never allowed iCloud backup of any of my devices, I do not use iMessage cloud sync, and I'm using 10.14 because I do not intend to give up a few of my apps that will never be 64 bit.