Apple seeds third betas of iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4 & more to developers

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2022
Apple has moved on to the third beta round for iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4, tvOS 15.4, and watchOS 8.5 providing developers with a new build for testing.

The newest builds can be downloaded via the Apple Developer Center for those enrolled in the test program, or via an over-the-air update on devices running the beta software. Public betas typically arrive within a few days of the developer versions, via the Apple Beta Software Program website.

The third round follows the second, which arrived on February 8. The first round occurred on January 27, one day after the release of iOS 15.3, iPadOS 15.3, tvOS 15.3, and watchOS 8.4.

In addition to the iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, and watchOS updates, Apple also issued a new beta build of its HomePod Software update.

Changes uncovered in iOS 15.4 so far include an update to Face ID providing two options to users. Along with the usual version, users can also set Face ID to work when they're wearing a mask, in a slightly less secure alternative.

More emoji has also been included, with 37 new symbols spotted with 75 skin tone additions. References to Tap To Pay on iPhone, a feature to allow users to take contactless payments on an iPhone, is also expected to surface in the near future, following Apple's announcement of the system.

There have also been references to driver's license support in Wallet in earlier betas, which could signify the arrival of the previously-announced feature to iOS.

For iPadOS 15.4, Universal Control enables Mac users to use their keyboards and mice on the iPad, with the feature automatically extending the workspace across devices.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Let’s hope for a camera app fix for iPhone 13 models now. The ability to turn off HDR and to take pictures of people with bright skin tones without them looking orange/red. Apple please!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    With iOS 15.4 how secure is Face ID with a mask?Is it scanning my face like normal Face ID or will anyone my complexion with a mask on be able to unlock it? I found my phone rather easy to unlock with Face ID and Apple Watch…as in my friend could unlock it if I was close by with my watch on and we look nothing alike. I hope this is more secure.