Future AirPods may know when you cheat on Apple Fitness+

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple is researching how AirPods can detect movement and position, partly to assist with Spatial Audio, but also to gauge body motion during Fitness+ workouts.

Apple Fitness+ may be an extremely well-produced service, but inescapably, it's online. There isn't really an instructor watching and encouraging you, it just seems like there is.

Consequently, there are only a few ways Apple can tell that you've actually done the workout you've said you have. Apple Watch is the chief way, as it monitors your heart rate during the session, but you could just be panicking a lot about failing to do the exercise.

So in future, there may be more clues for Apple Fitness+ to interpret, data that can't be fooled by your excessive caffeine intake. "Wireless Ear Bud System With Pose Detection," is a newly-revealed patent application that proposes determining details of your movement via AirPods.

"Ear buds may have sensors to gather orientation information such as accelerometer measurements during user movements," says the patent application. "A host electronic device may communicate wirelessly with the ear buds and may form part of an ear bud system that supplies the user with coaching and feedback while evaluating user performance of a head movement routine or other exercise routine."

It has to be pretty fine measurements to register when, say, an Apple Fitness+ trainer has told you to raise your right arm high over your head. But Apple proposes that any deviation from a starting position, or any deviation from a "fixed orientation to the earth," could help.

"During operation, the ear buds may gather accelerometer data... and may use a rotation matrix," it continues. "The data in the neutral reference frame may be analyzed using a user head pose look-up table to categorize measured user head positions as corresponding to respective user head poses."

So someone at the Apple Fitness center in Los Angeles may even now be working through a catalog of head movements while being recorded. Turn left, turn right, stretching, these could all be compiled into a reference table, as could head-jerks-in-dismay.

Detail from the patent showing one series of steps the system could take during a workout
Detail from the patent showing one series of steps the system could take during a workout

There is definitely an aspect to this patent application that could apply to Spatial Audio, with precise changes to audio being made as the user turns their head or moves their body. However, Apple isn't done with the fitness aspect yet.

"Feedback such as audible feedback may be provided to a user based on evaluation of user performance of the head movement routine," it says. "Other suitable actions may be taken such as issuing performance reports and alerts."

So in theory, Apple Fitness+ coaches could record any number of critical comments about your performance, and the AirPods would play them as appropriate.

Fortunately, Apple's patent application does throw in the fact that all of this can be done "if desired."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    ANOTHER reason I don’t want AirPods
  • Reply 2 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This reminds me of cheating on Wii Fit. Even if you win by cheating you still lose. I had an overweight friend who would rationalize NOT exercising and staying overweight. When I recommended Wii Fit she said “you can cheat on it anyway” and I said “what’s the point of that?!”

I just want AirPods to have added fitness features.

DAalseth said:
    ANOTHER reason I don’t want AirPods

Ummm WHAT?

You don’t want AirPods because they could potentially detect cheating on Fitness+ in the future??!?!! You can take them off if you wanna cheat you know?

Weird. But you’re missing out. I just got AirPods a few days ago and DAMN. Why didn’t I get them before?! They feel like “magic”, like an essential Steve Jobs product. I’m blown away. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    It sounds like they are broaching a long-standing problem with the activity app on AppleWatch:  There are certain types of exercise that are difficult or impossible to measure accurately from one wrist.

It's why things like strength training and yoga mostly measure time while assuming that the intensity is that of a brisk walk.
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Why are Apple concerned with people cheating at Fitness+?  Are there prizes now?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    It sounds like they are broaching a long-standing problem with the activity app on AppleWatch:  There are certain types of exercise that are difficult or impossible to measure accurately from one wrist.

It's why things like strength training and yoga mostly measure time while assuming that the intensity is that of a brisk walk.

This makes the most sense. They are probably aiming for accuracy more than cheating.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member

That too - I like it for cycling and stationary cycling (not sure how accurate it measure calories there), but I can't use it for free weights - they hit the watch!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mknelson said:

That too - I like it for cycling and stationary cycling (not sure how accurate it measure calories there), but I can't use it for free weights - they hit the watch!
    Had that same problem too. Solved it by getting a pair of weight lifting gloves with really wide wrist support — like 2” wide. I dont use them to cover the watch but to push it further up my arm to a safe distance from the weights. Have to adjust the watch strap to its outmost position every time though.

In general, I welcome this airpod idea. The more sensors the better accuracy. Also, it might be better at guessing what exercise I’m currently doing, so I don’t need to enter that manually.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 8 of 10
    crowley said:
    Why are Apple concerned with people cheating at Fitness+?  Are there prizes now?
    Corporate fitness / health insurance incentive programs (i.e., exercise more to pay less).

Also, dude, 9k posts? Full time AI commenter
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mknelson said:

Had that same problem too. Solved it by getting a pair of weight lifting gloves with really wide wrist support — like 2” wide. I dont use them to cover the watch but to push it further up my arm to a safe distance from the weights. Have to adjust the watch strap to its outmost position every time though.

In general, I welcome this airpod idea. The more sensors the better accuracy. Also, it might be better at guessing what exercise I’m currently doing, so I don’t need to enter that manually.

KettleBells are the worst.  When I use(d) them I turned the watch around so it was on my wrist.  Not the best for heart rate monitoring -- but that doesn't seem to do much during strength training.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Corporate fitness / health insurance incentive programs (i.e., exercise more to pay less).

Also, dude, 9k posts? Full time AI commenter
    Yeah I know.  Not something I'm especially proud of, but the days are long and often boring.