Five Galaxy S22 Ultra features which should be on the iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor: yes

edge to edge screen: yes

free AirPods Pro for max models: no. 
    Apple keeps its profits. Samsung needs to bundle in order to move ear buds. Apple doesn’t. 

Stylus: no. 
    But iPhones should work with Apple Pencil by now. Turn the phone into a small graphics tablet. 

Hole punch camera: yes please. 
    The best solution so far. The only reason Apple hasn’t done it is because Samsung did it first. Apple is the leader so they do t want to be accused of copying. But no one cares about this. Google copied iOS with Android and Samsung copied apples entire hardware and form factor. Apple can get away with doing the hole punch with no problem. 
    edited February 2022 patchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 29
    imat said:
    Seriously what is wrong with the tech press and FaceID? It is a great system, work flawlessly and is very secure. I can have notifications without details. As soon as I put the phone in front of me, at a glance, I can see the whole notification without needing to unlock my phone. Simply by picking it up. Do you purchase something with Apple Pay? No need to do anything special. It just activates. Logins? The same. Of all the things listed maybe the notch is the only one. 
    Face ID is great, but a pain sometimes. 

In my own usage, sometimes I just want to touch my thumb to the phone as it’s on the nightstand or desk or gym and access it without picking up the phone or contorting my body to position my face over the sensors and Not have to put it right in front of my face and stare until it unlocks, which it doesn’t always do. 

Touch ID was much more convenient. 
    patchythepiratemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,570member
    The best solution so far. The only reason Apple hasn’t done it is because Samsung did it first. Apple is the leader so they do t want to be accused of copying. But no one cares about this. Google copied iOS with Android and Samsung copied apples entire hardware and form factor. Apple can get away with doing the hole punch with no problem. 
    You're right, Apple could do a "hole punch" design for Face ID components, but it would a 3/4" hole to hold all the components. That's just silly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29

This is absurd. Apple is usually NOT the market leader when it come to innovation for phones. And Apple has no issue being later to market with a new feature when their implementation of it is best. If not being first was an issue, you wouldn’t have 5G, WiFi 6, the Max-sized screen, multi-lens camera,  etc, etc on an iPhone because Android—and usually Samsung— was there first. If and when Apple gets around to folding screens or a stylus iPhone, they will be years behind Samsung’s introduction of it. And so what? I’d rather have a best implementation that “just works.” Consider that the Samsung phone which is the subject of this article is no longer called a “Note” because Samsung had destroyed that brand name’s reputation with consumers due to phones that burst into flames and other poor quality issues. 
    edited February 2022 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    I disagree with the edge-to-edge screen. If you're holding the phone in one hand, and your palm is accidentally touching the screen's edge, do gestures work properly? Not for me. I quite often have to adjust my hold when I find that touches and gestures are not working, because the screen thinks I'm touching in two places, when that's not my intention.

I think an edge-to-edge screen is more of a cool factor than an actual improvement for usability. So definitely not a "need". The bezel serves an important purpose.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Beats said:

I don’t get the whole argument against FaceID being inferior because you have to look at your iPhone to activate it.

Ummm… don’t you have to look at your iPhone to use it anyway? Or are some of you using your iPhone blindly?

Not always. I leave my phone on a flat Qi charger on my desk, and I can easily read the screen. But if it's locked, I must physically lift the phone up, unlock it, and then place it down again. While I love FaceID, I do not like this weakness of its design over TouchID.

edited February 2022 patchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,702member
    charlesn said:

The best solution so far. The only reason Apple hasn’t done it is because Samsung did it first. Apple is the leader so they do want to be accused of copying. But no one cares about this. Google copied iOS with Android and Samsung copied apples entire hardware and form factor. Apple can get away with doing the hole punch with no problem. 
    This is absurd. Apple is usually NOT the market leader when it come to innovation for phones. And Apple has no issue being later to market with a new feature when their implementation of it is best. If not being first was an issue, you wouldn’t have 5G, WiFi 6, the Max-sized screen, multi-lens camera,  etc, etc on an iPhone because Android—and usually Samsung— was there first. If and when Apple gets around to folding screens or a stylus iPhone, they will be years behind Samsung’s introduction of it. And so what? I’d rather have a best implementation that “just works.” Consider that the Samsung phone which is the subject of this article is no longer called a “Note” because Samsung had destroyed that brand name’s reputation with consumers due to phones that burst into flames and other poor quality issues. 
    When Apple eventually released many of those features, they weren't the best, though.

Not in 5G. Not in Wifi 6. Not in multi lens cameras. Not in battery charging.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    I haven’t seen such a hamfisted misappropriation of a Steve Jobs quote in such a long time.